The Student Room Group

Should marijuana be legal?

Thoughts? I think when compared to alcohol and cigarettes it seems to be less risky, but then shouldn't we just ban cigarettes and alcohol?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fio.rella.
Thoughts? I think when compared to alcohol and cigarettes it seems to be less risky, but then shouldn't we just ban cigarettes and alcohol?

If alcohol and tobacco were discovered today they’d be class A

No! We have enough problems with illegal drug use as it is. Imagine if any old person could get it - the problem would spiral out of control with someone high at every street corner!
Less risky apart from the fact that using it is correlated with psychosis. I don’t understand the thrill of being paranoid AF and wanting to eat copious amounts of food.
Things are going fine in places where it has been legalised. I find it very strange that alcohol and tobacco are legal but cannabis isn't. I and most people I know have smoked it and never had a problem with it. It's pretty harmless unless you abuse it, but the same can be said about perfectly legal substances.

At the very least it should be decriminalised.
Original post by yzanne
No! We have enough problems with illegal drug use as it is. Imagine if any old person could get it - the problem would spiral out of control with someone high at every street corner!

Evidently you have never come to Birmingham, we already have someone high on every corner. The police don't even bother with stopping it, too much work.
Reply 6
Original post by Dandaman1
Things are going fine in places where it has been legalised.

Apart from it running out!
Original post by Decahedron
Evidently you have never come to Birmingham, we already have someone high on every corner. The police don't even bother with stopping it, too much work.

Nope, never been to Birmingham. Don't follow the crowd bro
I've know a few people who partake in the devil's lettuce. They still function like normal human beings and the only crime they ever commit is the purchasing and possessing of the weed. It, like almost anything else, only really causes problems if you get yourself addicted to it (same as basically anything) or do stuff like mix it with tobacco to make it murder your lungs for some reason (same as basically anything).

It's literally no worse than drinking, and we'd benefit from decriminalising it so as to stop forcing people to make dodgy criminal connections just so they can get blazed, sit about talking rubbish for a period of time and then consume all the snacks in their cupboards.

Original post by yzanne

A) Being high isn't any worse than being drunk. I'd argue that weed-high people are marginally more tolerable, in fact
B) P sure we already have laws around public intoxication and could easily apply those
C) The govt would likely bung age restrictions on it and tax the hell out of it like they do with booze and cigs, so it wouldn't be "any old person" able to get it.
D) There's probably more users of it in your area than you realise.

Well having cannabis seeds is still legal in the UK, so growing them will be easier; the stoners will be happy too and cig smokers will have a safer alternative than vape pens (as VPs can explode + have dodgy chemicals).

The Canadian government made it legal in this country last year in 2018. While the actual effects of it on the society are yet to be seen, so far the data shows no increase in consumption.
Original post by yzanne

That's not what the evidence says. Tough cannabis policies do not deter young people.
Original post by the beer
That's not what the evidence says. Tough cannabis policies do not deter young people.

Original post by Student1191
If alcohol and tobacco were discovered today they’d be class A

Original post by yzanne

It doesn't cause lung cancer either

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/10/study-smoking-marijuana-not-linked-with-lung-damage/
Yes of course.
Yes
I think it should be legal yes, along with psychedelics.

It's stupid that the government bans marijuana and allows alcohol and cigarettes to be legal when they are much more harmful
Why is this even a debate? It's the most common sense piece of legislation I've ever come across. It would allow for:

1. More than a billion pounds in annual tax revenue
2. Fewer people wasting taxpayer money (ie. police wasting time going after people smoking pot)
3. "My body my choice" - the government shouldn't be telling me what I can and can't consume, especially if said substance is 99% of the times perfectly safe and doesn't harm others.
4. Safer street marijuana - it would become less infected with other chemicals due to regulations. This would lead to FEWER PEOPLE smoking pot because currently, street dealers add other addictive chemicals to marijuana to keep you hooked and keep their revenue stream going. This would be the case if it was legalized.
5. The decrease in dodgy dealers - people can open shop and advertise instead of wasting time and energy avoiding the cops etc.
6. Allows for a new sector of the economy to develop with new businesses.

Now for the negatives, and this is a big one:

1. Old people don't like it
Original post by HighOnGoofballs

Lol, I laughed
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Why is this even a debate? It's the most common sense piece of legislation I've ever come across. It would allow for:

1. More than a billion pounds in annual tax revenue
2. Fewer people wasting taxpayer money (ie. police wasting time going after people smoking pot)
3. "My body my choice" - the government shouldn't be telling me what I can and can't consume, especially if said substance is 99% of the times perfectly safe and doesn't harm others.
4. Safer street marijuana - it would become less infected with other chemicals due to regulations. This would lead to FEWER PEOPLE smoking pot because currently, street dealers add other addictive chemicals to marijuana to keep you hooked and keep their revenue stream going. This would be the case if it was legalized.
5. The decrease in dodgy dealers - people can open shop and advertise instead of wasting time and energy avoiding the cops etc.
6. Allows for a new sector of the economy to develop with new businesses.

There are certainly more negatives than just that, if you have a spare three hours I’d recommend listening to the podcast debate the very pro marijuana Joe Rogan did last week
Original post by Underscore__
There are certainly more negatives than just that, if you have a spare three hours I’d recommend listening to the podcast debate the very pro marijuana Joe Rogan did last week

Is this the one with Crowder or is this a new one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending