The Student Room Group

Application Success Stories!

Feeling down cause I feel like my low GCSEs have really limited my choice of unis. If u know anyone (or are the person) who has experienced doubts in getting an offer, but ended up surprising themselves , pls share the story!

Need cheering up :smile:

Also any tips for me to succeed also will be welcomed haha
Original post by evabellarose
Feeling down cause I feel like my low GCSEs have really limited my choice of unis. If u know anyone (or are the person) who has experienced doubts in getting an offer, but ended up surprising themselves , pls share the story!

Need cheering up :smile:

Also any tips for me to succeed also will be welcomed haha

Hi! I hope my story can help a bit.

I felt like my GCSE's were the worst ever and my school didn't help in making me feel good either. I got 1 A*, 2As, 6Bs, and 2Cs. I was so upset and I felt like I wouldn't be able to get into top unis (I want to study law and for me, because the subject is so competitive, I only wanted to go to top unis to give me a better chance), but I still went on to study A-Levels. I managed to get much better grades in my AS exams and somehow got predicted A*A*A. When discussing with one of my tutors they said I could easily get into a top uni, so I just went for it, my thinking was that if I didn't get anything it's no big deal and I'll just go through clearing. So, in the end, I've applied to Cambridge, LSE, Durham, York and Nottingham. One of the teachers warned me I might not get in based on my 'poor' GCSE grades. But I'm very pleased to say they seem to have not affected anything! I've received offers from Cambridge, York and Nottingham and I'm still waiting on LSE and Durham. But it seems as though my GCSE's haven't had too much of an impact on my university offers which I'm so pleased about!

My advice is to make sure your predicted grades are as high as possible, I'm not saying you need 3 A*s, but enough to reach the minimum requirements for your universities. Also, most Universities look at applicants holistically, so your GCSE's will be taken into consideration, but only to form a 'picture' of you. So I wouldn't worry! You'll do great and achieve what you want!!!
Read my article here on how I got to medical school following very mediocre GCSEs and quite poor A levels: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/as/getting-into-medical-school-without-straight-as
Original post by CharlieMonster

Your GCSEs are actually really good by most people's standards so I'm not sure how much they will have cheered OP up! Congratulations on all your great offers, though :smile:
Original post by Arabicartist
Read my article here on how I got to medical school following very mediocre GCSEs and quite poor A levels: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/as/getting-into-medical-school-without-straight-as

As above - we need some stories from people who actually did get low GCSEs to cheer OP up
Original post by harrysbar
As above - we need some stories from people who actually did get low GCSEs to cheer OP up

I appreciate what ur saying! But my GCSEs were only bad by my standards, and about average for my school :smile: coming from an Asian family they were v poor compared to the rest of my siblings/ cousins, which is why I’m so disappointed. My worry is getting rejected from my dream uni, Durham ,as I’ve heard their cut off point is 8 A*s which i did not get

But thank u so much ❤️
Reply 6
I appreciate what ur saying! But my GCSEs were only bad by my standards, and about average for my school :smile: coming from an Asian family they were v poor compared to the rest of my siblings/ cousins, which is why I’m so disappointed. My worry is getting rejected from my dream uni, Durham ,as I’ve heard their cut off point is 8 A*s which i did not get

But thank u so much ❤️

Don't worry. You heard wrong. Universities don't have cut-off points for GCSEs. Don't believe me? Look at the entry requirements.
Original post by Arabicartist

Well done, that’s amazing! Imperial , wow!
Original post by CharlieMonster

I felt like my GCSE's were the worst ever and my school didn't help in making me feel good either. I got 1 A*, 2As, 6Bs, and 2Cs. I was so upset and I felt like I wouldn't be able to get into top unis (I want to study law and for me, because the subject is so competitive, I only wanted to go to top unis to give me a better chance), but I still went on to study A-Levels. I managed to get much better grades in my AS exams and somehow got predicted A*A*A. When discussing with one of my tutors they said I could easily get into a top uni, so I just went for it, my thinking was that if I didn't get anything it's no big deal and I'll just go through clearing. So, in the end, I've applied to Cambridge, LSE, Durham, York and Nottingham. One of the teachers warned me I might not get in based on my 'poor' GCSE grades. But I'm very pleased to say they seem to have not affected anything! I've received offers from Cambridge, York and Nottingham and I'm still waiting on LSE and Durham. But it seems as though my GCSE's haven't had too much of an impact on my university offers which I'm so pleased about!

My advice is to make sure your predicted grades are as high as possible, I'm not saying you need 3 A*s, but enough to reach the minimum requirements for your universities. Also, most Universities look at applicants holistically, so your GCSE's will be taken into consideration, but only to form a 'picture' of you. So I wouldn't worry! You'll do great and achieve what you want!!!

Cambridge is so amazing, well done! Also thank u so much for taking the time to write this! Definitely cheered me up. I’m thinking of applying to Durham and Nottingham as my higher choices, and Southampton and perhaps Cardiff as my backup. I haven’t decided on my 5th choice yet

Did Nottingham interview u? And how well did ur LNAT go? (I’m hoping to redeem myself with my lnat :smile: )
Also how were ur GCSEs compared to ur schools results? Cause i know lots of unis take this into account. U don’t have to say tho if u don’t want to :smile:
Anyway, thanks so much for the tips!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
Don't worry. You heard wrong. Universities don't have cut-off points for GCSEs. Don't believe me? Look at the entry requirements.

Although unis don’t explicitly say such cut-off points, I know that durham is really competitive, so GCSEs are often used to easily distinguish students
But thanks for the reassurance!
Cambridge is so amazing, well done! Also thank u so much for taking the time to write this! Definitely cheered me up. I’m thinking of applying to Durham and Nottingham as my higher choices, and Southampton and perhaps Cardiff as my backup. I haven’t decided on my 5th choice yet

Did Nottingham interview u? And how well did ur LNAT go? (I’m hoping to redeem myself with my lnat :smile: )
Also how were ur GCSEs compared to ur schools results? Cause i know lots of unis take this into account. U don’t have to say tho if u don’t want to :smile:
Anyway, thanks so much for the tips!

Nottingham didn't interview me. My LNAT was meh, I got 24 which was about average for my cohort. Compared to my school I don't think my GCSE grades were great, I know my friends all did miles better than me though.
Reply 11
Although unis don’t explicitly say such cut-off points, I know that durham is really competitive, so GCSEs are often used to easily distinguish students
But thanks for the reassurance!

It's not that competitive that they have to rely on GCSEs. The majority of applicants get offers.
Hi!
I went through some very turbulent times in secondary school, and my secondary school was very poor. I had the majority of my options taken from me and was limited to sitting only 5 exams. I sat BTEC Sport - in which the school cheated basically. I also sat the ECDL, a very easy computing exam. Obviously I also sat english, maths and science too. My results overall were a B in English, a D in maths, a C in science, a pass in BTEC sport and a D* in the ECDL.

I wasn't taught any maths or really even told the specification. I was just given a huge textbook and was told to revise it.

I resat maths last year and received a 5, so between a C and a B.

I'm applying to university this year and I have applied to the following universities: Durham, Newcastle, York and Leeds. I've received offers from all four universities - and I really didn't think I would.

I hope my story helps you a little! 😊
Original post by Sinnoh
It's not that competitive that they have to rely on GCSEs. The majority of applicants get offers.

That’s good to hear, thank u ❤️
Original post by laurenai
Hi!
I went through some very turbulent times in secondary school, and my secondary school was very poor. I had the majority of my options taken from me and was limited to sitting only 5 exams. I sat BTEC Sport - in which the school cheated basically. I also sat the ECDL, a very easy computing exam. Obviously I also sat english, maths and science too. My results overall were a B in English, a D in maths, a C in science, a pass in BTEC sport and a D* in the ECDL.

I wasn't taught any maths or really even told the specification. I was just given a huge textbook and was told to revise it.

I resat maths last year and received a 5, so between a C and a B.

I'm applying to university this year and I have applied to the following universities: Durham, Newcastle, York and Leeds. I've received offers from all four universities - and I really didn't think I would.

I hope my story helps you a little! 😊

That’s really impressive! I wish you luck with whatever uni u choose. Thank u for helping me, I now feel more confident applying to Durham :smile:
That’s really impressive! I wish you luck with whatever uni u choose. Thank u for helping me, I now feel more confident applying to Durham :smile:

Thanks a lot! I wish you all the best in applying! I'm sure you'll get offers x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending