The Student Room Group

Underrated films

Which films do you think are underrated?
And why?

Scroll to see replies

Personally i think the Herbie films are underrated.
The big short, it offers some really Interesting ethical question of what’s right and wrong it also ends on a note that will make you really think. it’s such a good film
Original post by Emma:-)
And why?

Old films like Gone with the wind, because the younger generation thinks that films from that time are outdated without to test. If they would, they realize that masterpieces like this are timeless.
Reply 4
The Princess Bride.
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.
Babe.

Why? Because people think they're for kids. They're not. Damn you.

Also: Lobster Man from Mars. Because not too many people have heard of it. Then again, that might be a good thing.
Reply 5
Bruno is underrated imo. Everyone loves Borat but I think Bruno is just as hilarious if not more.
Withnail and I. Richard E Grant should have had an Oscar nomination for his part in it.
And why?

Empire of The Sun HAS to be Spielberg's most underrated film
The Florida Project :heart: I'm still bitter it didn't get a single GG, BAFTA or Oscar nom last year
I think the original italian job is underrated as well.
I think the original italian job is underrated as well.

i am assuming you are young? because the italian job (along with zulu) is like the standard answer for favourite film by 50-70 year old men
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i am assuming you are young? because the italian job (along with zulu) is like the standard answer for favourite film by 50-70 year old men

Yes i am young (well im 27).
But i am a massive fan of minis, which may explain why im a fan.
Not really underrated but maybe an older film that many current students wont have seen.
Bruno Ganz died today and he starred in a film about Hitlers last days called Downfall in 2004. Worth watching especially if you are interested in History.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47264709
Fargo or Miller's Crossing (Coen Brothers)
Gregory's Girl - it's funny and always makes me laugh. No idea why it isn't more popular.
blood diamond

no one ever talks about it and I think its a masterpiece
Downfall (Rest in peace, Bruno Ganz :frown:)
Walk The Line - I wasn't a Johnny Cash fan before but I am now, Joaquin Phoenix is amazing as him and he is the most beautiful man I've ever seen!
Original post by Kallisto
Old films like Gone with the wind, because the younger generation thinks that films from that time are outdated without to test. If they would, they realize that masterpieces like this are timeless.

On that note, I will forever maintain that Airplane! is the greatest film ever made.
In terms of IMBD rating, being john malkovich is underrated imo. having said that, i don't know how much attention/press it got during the date of its arrival...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending