The Student Room Group

Driving at 16

Hi I was wondering if I would be able to drive a car at 16 with a provisional driving license and L plates on the car as well as having someone over 18 with me? Can I drive anywhere or just private premises?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I was wondering if I would be able to drive a car at 16 with a provisional driving license and L plates on the car as well as having someone over 18 with me? Can I drive anywhere or just private premises?

Unless your dyslexic, autistic or disabled then no
You can apply for your provisional at 16, 3 months before your 17th but you can’t drive until your 17

You need to be 17, and the supervisor needs to be 21.

If you really want there are some disused airfields around the country that offer driving to 16 year olds, but they seem incredibly expensive for what they offer and don’t seem to have any advantage over just doing normal lessons.
Reply 3
Not on the road. You need to be 17 and until you hold a full license, have someone who is at leat 21,and held their license for at least 3 years in the car with you.
Reply 4
Okay thanks
Reply 5
As a learner on public roads you must be 17 accompanied by someone over 21 with a full licence held for 3 years. As well as not being legal, you would also not get insurance below 17.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Throor
Not on the road. You need to be 17 and until you hold a full license, have someone who is at leat 21,and held their license for at least 3 years in the car with you.

I agree
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree

Can't disagree with the law :wink:
Original post by jameswhughes
You need to be 17, and the supervisor needs to be 21.

If you really want there are some disused airfields around the country that offer driving to 16 year olds, but they seem incredibly expensive for what they offer and don’t seem to have any advantage over just doing normal lessons.

They do seem really pricey. They arent worth it imo.
Original post by Throor
Can't disagree with the law :wink:

I didnt say i did.

Absolutely not, unless you qualify for PIP.

Original post by IDOZ
Unless your dyslexic, autistic or disabled then no
You can apply for your provisional at 16, 3 months before your 17th but you can’t drive until your 17

15 years and 9 months is when you can apply for a provisional.

@AngryJellyfish can you move this to the Cars and motoring forum please.
Reply 11
Yeah as everyone says you can’t drive until 17... there is a company called Young Drivers who aim to give 10-17 year olds an experience behind the wheel off the road with a qualified instructor. I’ve had a session with them and it was really good so if you’re trying to get some experience u may be best to try them
Original post by skent6
Yeah as everyone says you can’t drive until 17... there is a company called Young Drivers who aim to give 10-17 year olds an experience behind the wheel off the road with a qualified instructor. I’ve had a session with them and it was really good so if you’re trying to get some experience u may be best to try them

You should specify that is OFF ROAD. This isn't what the OP asked about.
Reply 13
Original post by RoyalSheepy

They literally stated 'off the road'
Original post by Throor
They literally stated 'off the road'

Where?
Reply 15

I should have made myself slightly clearer... they take locations like a park and ride on a Sunday when it’s not in action and they let you drive round there. There are like 15 others going round at the same time so it does give you an experience like you’re on the road
Reply 16
Where?

"experience behind the wheel off the road with a qualified instructor" pasted from their post
Original post by Throor
"experience behind the wheel off the road with a qualified instructor" pasted from their post

My bad. But still definitely not what the OP asked for.
Reply 18
Original post by skent6
they take locations like a park and ride

That would be illegal as it's a public highway. A driver would require a driving licence and insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending