The Student Room Group

Where can I find shy guys that aren't "weird"?

I'm at Uni (First year) and am struggling to find guys who are shy and introverted like me. I know that they're out there but I just can't seem to find them lmao. The "Normal" guys in my lectures are surrounded by girls 24/7, no exaggeration.

I have tried out societies. I enjoy anime as a casual thing so I visited the society, but all the stereotypes are sadly true lol, and most of the guys there completely lacked social awareness, or were just hella awkward. I think that there is a difference between being socially inept and being shy.

The movie society was exactly the same. I tried sports societies when I first began but all I remember were a few fit dudes surrounded by masses of fit girls haha.

So within Uni, I'm not sure where to go. Outside of Uni is a whole other world in terms of finding people, and it not being a weird thing....

Scroll to see replies

two shy introverted people? who’s gonna be confident enough to approach first?
Your uni's Yu-Gi-Oh! society.
Reply 3
Original post by Rainfall

I'll gather the confidence when I see the guy haha
Reply 4
Original post by Notoriety
Your uni's Yu-Gi-Oh! society.

Don't believe we have one....
Original post by Anonymous
Don't believe we have one....

I'd leave the uni, then, because it's obviously no good.

The actual answer is that there are shy people anywhere. Join a mixed social group with cool people; find the least talkative one there, and shazam, you've found a shy person who's not weird.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm at Uni (First year) and am struggling to find guys who are shy and introverted like me. I know that they're out there but I just can't seem to find them lmao. The "Normal" guys in my lectures are surrounded by girls 24/7, no exaggeration.

I have tried out societies. I enjoy anime as a casual thing so I visited the society, but all the stereotypes are sadly true lol, and most of the guys there completely lacked social awareness, or were just hella awkward. I think that there is a difference between being socially inept and being shy.

The movie society was exactly the same. I tried sports societies when I first began but all I remember were a few fit dudes surrounded by masses of fit girls haha.

So within Uni, I'm not sure where to go. Outside of Uni is a whole other world in terms of finding people, and it not being a weird thing....

Actually we're not all like that. I like anime but only in passing. I like films but won't die without them. I'm autistic and very shy. But that doesn't help you, haha.

This. My biggest problem haha. I have no idea how many perfect women I might have passed by because of a lack of confidence.
Original post by Tootles
Actually we're not all like that. I like anime but only in passing. I like films but won't die without them. I'm autistic and very shy. But that doesn't help you, haha.

This. My biggest problem haha. I have no idea how many perfect women I might have passed by because of a lack of confidence.

Same.

Why do you like shy guys? I'm an introvert myself and I much prefer extraverts (tho not the ones bouncing around all the time lol).

Personally I find societies to be the best way or meeting people. You're going to have to drop your shyness, put yourself forward and talk to other people. Even if a guy in a society is surrounded by other girls, put yourself in there too. Who knows - that guy might just be drawn to you amidst all other girls. :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
100% there are introverted people - introverted does not equal social hermit - talk to people (literally advice for anyone)
Same.

Sucks man. Very frustrating. People tell me all sorts of nice stuff about myself, and then I look at myself and see a balding bearded guy who it a double-mega nerd and then AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa no woman's going to look at me twice. Basically I think all the friends who have said all those enouraging things are just being nice to poor old Tootles.
Original post by Tootles

I only like anime and films as a casual thing too! Maybe I'm just unlucky with my Uni, legitimately all of the guys in my anime/film society were pretty socially backwards.
Heard you’re looking for a non weird guy

*hides yugioh cards and anime/manga in the wardrobe*

Well I’m sure there plenty of non wierd guys like me

5C0BF26E-C565-4E78-B633-C7DAC6D8BE38.jpeg
I only like anime and films as a casual thing too! Maybe I'm just unlucky with my Uni, legitimately all of the guys in my anime/film society were pretty socially backwards.

I'm supposedly the definition of socially backwards, being an aspie, but I get on with folk fairly well. Maybe not in dating or anything (seriously, I'm nothing to look at), but I'm socially functioning.
Original post by frostfly
Why do you like shy guys? I'm an introvert myself and I much prefer extraverts (tho not the ones bouncing around all the time lol).

Personally I find societies to be the best way or meeting people. You're going to have to drop your shyness, put yourself forward and talk to other people. Even if a guy in a society is surrounded by other girls, put yourself in there too. Who knows - that guy might just be drawn to you amidst all other girls. :wink:

To be fair, almost all of my friends are extroverts. However, maybe because it' the first year of Uni and everything seems so cliche, but the extroverted guys are in this case a) the party animals who rely purely on alcohol for sustenance or b) the guys who are surrounded by girls 24/7. I just feel more comfortable with dudes that I can relate too, I guess :s-smilie:

I'm not exactly which societies to visit that don't have exclusively these types of guys (or just flat-out outcasts)? I would talk to more guys who are extroverted but there's nothing that I have that the 16 other girls surrounding him don't haha
Not on TSR.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
100% there are introverted people - introverted does not equal social hermit - talk to people (literally advice for anyone)

I'm aware, I'm an introvert and not a social hermit :redface: it just seems that the majority of guys who I come across who act more introverted are also just... weird.
Everyone's weird if you get to know them well enough.
Original post by Tootles
Sucks man. Very frustrating. People tell me all sorts of nice stuff about myself, and then I look at myself and see a balding bearded guy who it a double-mega nerd and then AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa no woman's going to look at me twice. Basically I think all the friends who have said all those enouraging things are just being nice to poor old Tootles.

Not everything is about looks.
To be fair, almost all of my friends are extroverts. However, maybe because it' the first year of Uni and everything seems so cliche, but the extroverted guys are in this case a) the party animals who rely purely on alcohol for sustenance or b) the guys who are surrounded by girls 24/7. I just feel more comfortable with dudes that I can relate too, I guess :s-smilie:

I'm not exactly which societies to visit that don't have exclusively these types of guys (or just flat-out outcasts)? I would talk to more guys who are extroverted but there's nothing that I have that the 16 other girls surrounding him don't haha

First of all I wouldn't go for guys who prioritised appearance. So I'd probably ignore the guys surrounded by the 'hot-looking' girls. You want someone who focuses on personality. So the only way to get a guy to notice your personality is by you having a nice conversation with him. Ask him what sort of things he gets up to in his spare time, what he might want to do after graduation, his goals e.t.c. Just get to know him. If he likes the impression he got from you, he'll want to hang out with you more. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending