The Student Room Group

A level sociology is too hard, should i drop out altogether?

A level sociology is too hard. I am in A2 so obviously its too late to drop the subject. I am turming 18 on 18th february. Should i drop out altogether?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What would you do instead? Perhaps you could try to get some help with whatever you’re struggling with.
Reply 2
Original post by BBx2
What would you do instead? Perhaps you could try to get some help with whatever you’re struggling with.

At AS i wanted to do RS but it was too late to switch from Sociology to RS
Reply 3
Original post by BBx2

I could start looking for full time work and forget education?
Reply 4
If you were to carry on with sociology what are you hoping to do after A levels?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I could start looking for full time work and forget education?

Is that what you actually want to do? It’s only a few more months until you finish.
stick it out. what other subjects do you do? are you planning to go to uni? what grades do you need if so?
i do it, what exam board and what do you want help with? it's hard in that there's so so so much content i cannot understand how much there is, but it's not too bad after that. i can help you out if you want.
Reply 7
Original post by BBx2
If you were to carry on with sociology what are you hoping to do after A levels?

I'm not 100% sure about whether I want to go to university
Reply 8
Original post by BBx2
Is that what you actually want to do? It’s only a few more months until you finish.

No its not but illness is making the work 100x harder in all subjects. Maybe it just means i am not cut out for university
Reply 9
If you’re not sure about going to uni next year you could always take a year out, to give yourself some time to decide. With regards to completing A2 what else are you studying & how well are you coping with that? If it’s only one subject your struggling with it would be worth trying to speaking to someone about what help you could get. You’ve got this far so don’t make a rash decision as it would be a shame to pull out now if you could stick it out & get your A levels. That would give you more options in the long run.
Reply 10
No its not but illness is making the work 100x harder in all subjects. Maybe it just means i am not cut out for university

University is not for everyone, so don’t feel pressured to go if it’s not what you want. It’s something you could consider in future.
If illness is making things difficult at school, work could be just as difficult. I really think you need to try to speak to someone to discuss your options & what help you might be able to get.
You’ve come so far and it wouldn’t be worth it to drop out, just think you only have 3 months of it left and you’ll be completely done. Plus, every A level is hard tbh
Original post by anonymous1231231
stick it out. what other subjects do you do? are you planning to go to uni? what grades do you need if so?
i do it, what exam board and what do you want help with? it's hard in that there's so so so much content i cannot understand how much there is, but it's not too bad after that. i can help you out if you want.

I do AQA sociology and english lit and maths. I have not applied to uni this year to give me time to think about whether its for me or whether A level is my limit. I dont think its something you can help with, i am just not getting it when it comes to taking notes from textbooks in class.
Original post by BBx2
University is not for everyone, so don’t feel pressured to go if it’s not what you want. It’s something you could consider in future.
If illness is making things difficult at school, work could be just as difficult. I really think you need to try to speak to someone to discuss your options & what help you might be able to get.

I have spoken to my tutor and my teachers know why I am underachieving. The support they would have offered at AS would have been extra time but the doctors note wasnt enough and i needed a letter from the hospital to say i need support but the gp wont refer me so i couldnt the support they were going to offer me instead which was rest breaks. Unfortunately i have to do it with no help at all and it could cause failure.
Original post by BBx2
If you’re not sure about going to uni next year you could always take a year out, to give yourself some time to decide. With regards to completing A2 what else are you studying & how well are you coping with that? If it’s only one subject your struggling with it would be worth trying to speaking to someone about what help you could get. You’ve got this far so don’t make a rash decision as it would be a shame to pull out now if you could stick it out & get your A levels. That would give you more options in the long run.

I am doing english lit and maths as well. I am coping okay with english lit but i am failing maths due to sickness.
Reply 15
I have spoken to my tutor and my teachers know why I am underachieving. The support they would have offered at AS would have been extra time but the doctors note wasnt enough and i needed a letter from the hospital to say i need support but the gp wont refer me so i couldnt the support they were going to offer me instead which was rest breaks. Unfortunately i have to do it with no help at all and it could cause failure.

Try to speak to your doctor again. & see if you can get s referral. Explain how hard you’re finding it.
Original post by BBx2
Try to speak to your doctor again. & see if you can get s referral. Explain how hard you’re finding it.

I have, they don't care. They just say to sit there and do no work and fail.
A level sociology is too hard. I am in A2 so obviously its too late to drop the subject. I am turming 18 on 18th february. Should i drop out altogether?

You got so far, and now you want to drop out?! Nothing is easy. There was a time you must have said GCSES are hard and now when you look back at it you probably say it was bare easy. Theres either 2 options in life either work or study. I say study till you can cause you gonna work after anyways. Also taking a gap when studying is not a good decision as someone may like the freedom more and the stress relief and get used to being a slob. For example my cusen he dropped out and does f all, by that i mean all he does is play computer games 24/7 and is 26 years old. Also after hardship comes ease. You are better off struggling now and have an easier life after. Whereas work life isn’t that easy and the salary is *****y too. Imagine the advantages you could have with a degree etc. From my friend group who went straight to work for a couple of years are coming back to studying and are about 25 years of age. When they finish they will be about 30 years. Their words were bro I had enough of doing these low life jobs, money is very temporary, I want a better life, this is a struggle’. You are still young. Don’t give up that easily. Focus on Your 3 main A-Levels and do ur best. Don’t be lazy. And if the results are bad. F it, at least u can say u tried. ✌🏼👊🏼 keep it danky bro! And slay those exams!
Original post by ellasimmons24
You’ve come so far and it wouldn’t be worth it to drop out, just think you only have 3 months of it left and you’ll be completely done. Plus, every A level is hard tbh

If my birthday was earlier i would be considering dropping out earlier. If it was in september i would have been glad
I do AQA sociology and english lit and maths. I have not applied to uni this year to give me time to think about whether its for me or whether A level is my limit. I dont think its something you can help with, i am just not getting it when it comes to taking notes from textbooks in class.

Same, which units do you do? I do education, crime, families and household and beliefs. Which textbook do you use? I love the one I use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending