The Student Room Group

King’s College London

I am currently taking History, Drama, and Health & Social Care at AS Level. I am sitting on A (plan on bringing this up from a high A to an A*) in History, A in Health & Social, and hopefully I am on an A in Drama (don’t receive our practical results till August).

KCL ask for A*AA. What if I get A*AB at AS? Will this ruin my chance of getting an offer? I will be getting my work experience in a top law firm, I have 270 hours of volunteering which is divided between 170 for community/school, 20 in volunteering to help run a drama club for younger ones with me having a few hours helping run a show for our school carol service, and 80 in volunteering in Tenerife for 2 weeks in June within marine conservation. I do debate club which has a competition coming up which will hopefully have success for me. Academic success wise, I won an essay competition for a programme ran by The Holocaust Education Trust in London which will get me a trip to Auschwitz with further studies on the holocaust. I should have a really good reference from my school and I also have a perfect plan for an interview if called for one and I have my personal statement planned out as well.

Do I have a good enough chance to get an offer from KCL next year for Law? What are their applicant:acceptance rates? And how much of an impact do GCSEs have for KCL?
Reply 1
You can't get A*AB at AS, you can't get A*s
Original post by iseesparksfly
You can't get A*AB at AS, you can't get A*s

Okay so what do I need to get an offer then?
You need A*AA predictions, GCSEs don’t mean much, do well in the LNAT and you’ll be fine.
Original post by anonymous1231231
You need A*AA predictions, GCSEs don’t mean much, do well in the LNAT and you’ll be fine.

So if I get AAB but my school predict A*AA, I will get an offer?
Original post by Brendan0686
So if I get AAB but my school predict A*AA, I will get an offer?

I mean no, your LNAT score has gotta be good, your personal statement etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Brendan0686
Okay so what do I need to get an offer then?

As and Bs, you need to be predicted AAA at least though
Original post by iseesparksfly
As and Bs, you need to be predicted AAA at least though

A*AA *
I know my GCSEs of 1A 7Bs and 1C aren’t anything special but is it a possibility that this is looked at as a good thing as it shows my average scores changing into all As and A*s?

I have a debate competition next week which I am preparing for, are there online essay contests I can enter into which can boost my chances in pleasing the admissions team? I live in Northern Ireland so opportunities are limited.

My subject choices aren’t the best but my school weren’t letting me do traditionals such as English, Maths, Economics, etc. Assuming I got A* in History and AA in H&S and Drama. Would it be likely I would be accepted? With a good LNAT score and good UCAS application.
Have to agree with this, although I wouldn't have put it quite like that :smile:

OP - what were your school thinking? You have 1 A and 7 Bs and they should have encouraged you to choose at least one more academic subject, in my opinion. I know that lots of schools insist on a GCSE grade A to study Maths at A level, (fair enough) but I don't see why you couldn't have done something like English or RS if you had Bs at GCSE.

Anyway, you get 5 choices on your UCAS form and there is nothing wrong with having 1 or 2 aspirational choices - KCL would fall into that category. Your academics so far aren't amazing by their standards, but you are an interesting candidate and if they take the time to read your PS properly, they should be impressed by it. As says, just make sure you protect yourself by also applying to law schools requiring slightly lower grades as well.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
This may be a bit further down the road than you want to consider right now, but for law especially, a lot of employers will make you declare your GCSEs and GCE A level results as well. And well... most people will have A*AA and likely higher. So it will be something you need to justify down the road as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending