The Student Room Group

The Jussie Smollett ‘hate crime’ story - new developments

‘Empire’ star Jussie Smollett was the alleged victim of a savage hate crime in Chicago. The openly gay black actor was (supposedly) accosted by white, MAGA hat-wearing Trump supporters who yelled “This is MAGA country!”, poured bleach on him, and even put a noose around his neck.

The media was quick to pick up on this shocking hate crime and the usual outpouring of virtue signalling and anti-Trump rhetoric came from various celebrities and public figures. He also gave a very emotional interview about the attack on ABC. Only a racist would call him a liar, right?

But things were just a little bit fishy. He was allegedly attacked at 2AM in downtown Chicago after getting an impromptu sandwich from Subway. The men knew just where and when to be and also happened to be prepared with bleach and a noose.

He said he was on his phone at the time, but Smollett refused to give up his phone to police for the investigation and instead opted to hand over a redacted call history.

Evidence pointed to two men who were caught on camera that night. Arrests were made. Definitely not a hoax now, right? But here’s the crazy part: it turns out they were black, Nigerian, and friends of Smollett from work. Oh my.

The suspects have just been released without charge due to new, undisclosed evidence. Oh, and Smollett has just hired a high-powered defense attorney.

No prizes for guessing how this one turns out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6712245/Jussie-Smollett-hires-Michael-Cohens-criminal-defense-attorney.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/15/entertainment/jussie-smollett-suspects/index.html

UPDATE: The two Nigerian suspects allegedly told police that Smollett paid them to take part in the "attack", according to a source close to the investigation. https://youtu.be/1wwualuJB-g
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Vice reported "We do not yet know the skin colour of the two Nigerians"...

Nothing like optimism is there?
Clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Original post by Jebedee

Hahaha 😂
Damn... I was positive that Liam Neeson was behind it.
Original post by Jebedee

Must be those white christian heterosexual males again...
If it turns out to be a fake hate crime (and its certainly looking that way) it will fail for the same reason that all the others I have seen failed.
They always over egg the pudding.

Violent attack
Mega hat✓
Ski mask✓
Bleach✓
Noose✓
On the phone (so potential witness)✓
Racist abuse✓
Homophobic abuse✓
Self identifying language (".This is Maga country boy")✓
Any one or two of these things would have been far more believable than all 9.

The American trump hating MSM were on it like a seagull on a dropped chip because not least of all the two previous weekends they had shot themselves in the foot with Ben Shapiro and baby Hitler followed by The Covington Catholic boys fiasco.
It will be ironic if in their desperation to claw one back they have done it again.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Just my opinion
If it turns out to be a fake hate crime (and its certainly looking that way) it will fail for the same reason that all the others I have seen failed.
They always over egg the pudding.

Violent attack
Mega hat✓
Ski mask✓
Bleach✓
Noose✓
On the phone (so potential witness)✓
Racist abuse✓
Homophobic abuse✓
Self identifying language (".This is Maga country boy")✓
Any one or two of these things would have been far more believable than all 9.

The American trump hating MSM were on it like a seagull on a dropped chip because not least of all the two previous weekends they had shot themselves in the foot with Ben Shapiro and baby Hitler followed by The Covington Catholic boys fiasco.
It will be ironic if in their desperation to claw one back they have done it again.

Fake hate crimes occur when the demand for hate™ exceeds the supply.
Reply 8
Original post by Toki the Dumdum
Damn... I was positive that Liam Neeson was behind it.
He's a pretty good actor. Surely he could play two Nigerians?
Reply 9
Original post by Dandaman1
Fake hate crimes occur when the demand for hate™ exceeds the supply.
Politically motivated idiocy is not restricted to any one side, and is not mutually exclusive.
Very annoyed to hear he did this and I hope this won’t lead to actual racism victims being ignored or disbelieved. In reality these false victims are rare and hate crime is a real problem which this shouldn’t overshadow. Many people are attacked every day across the world due to racial hatred, some much worse than what this guy pretended to have experienced.
Original post by akbar0123
Very annoyed to hear he did this and I hope this won’t lead to actual racism victims being ignored or disbelieved. In reality these false victims are rare and hate crime is a real problem which this shouldn’t overshadow. Many people are attacked every day across the world due to racial hatred, some much worse than what this guy pretended to have experienced.

It's hard to tell how rare they are due to the fact most reported hate crimes don't progress far enough to determine anything. And some aren't necessarily outright fakes, but the motive can be misinterpreted.

Police will typically file reports and investigate nonetheless. Whether the public decides to believe the story is another matter, and with cases like this one we can often smell a rat.

http://fakehatecrimes.org/fakes?page=1
This is a hate crime either way. Either by two individuals on Smollett, or by Smollett on the entirety of white male Trump supporters. Throw in a perversion of justice too if the accusation is fake.
Original post by ThomH97
This is a hate crime either way. Either by two individuals on Smollett, or by Smollett on the entirety of white male Trump supporters. Throw in a perversion of justice too if the accusation is fake.

"Trump supporters" isn't a protected group.
Original post by AngeryPenguin

What about the two words before that?
Original post by AngeryPenguin

Interesting that in this whole imploding story, that is the one thing you have to say.

There has been a lot of faux hate crimes, especially in the US with girls claiming someone ripped their hijab off for example. I don't see how you can definitively say it is rare.
If you checkout the link to the #fake hate crime on post no. 13 you will see a link to approximately 400.
What Ben Shapiro has said about this is true, the media have become far too focused and interested with the “moral truth”.

Look back at the Michael Brown shooting and how the media jumped on the hate crime bandwagon and pushed it, long after it became apparent it didn’t turn out the way they thought.

Same thing with Smolett.

****ing joke.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending