The Student Room Group

how long does it take to become a neurosurgeon?

thanks
Original post by Anonymous
thanks

Not my area of expertise but including your medical degree from a quick look online, it could be 15 years to be qualified as a neurosurgeon.
Original post by claireestelle
Not my area of expertise but including your medical degree from a quick look online, it could be 15 years to be qualified as a neurosurgeon.

wow, seems like so much effort, and time - dont know how people can train for that long? but due respect to them ...
I'm a neurosurgical registrar.

It takes 10 years (if you get in first time, which is pretty much impossible) from medical school.

2 years of foundation programme and 8 years of neurosurgery specialty training (<- what I am doing now).

I don't know what the problem with training is, since you actually get paid (more and more) throughout.
Original post by itsbrainsurgery

It takes 10 years (if you get in first time, which is pretty much impossible) from medical school.

2 years of foundation programme and 8 years of neurosurgery specialty training (<- what I am doing now).

I don't know what the problem with training is, since you actually get paid (more and more) throughout.

more of a general q, in my clinical year, no idea which speciality i want to go, if we do an intercalated degree if it is related to the speciality would that be better in terms of securing a place? e.g. neuroscience for neurosurgery, endocrinology BSc for endrocinology or does this not matter as much?

any advice is appreciated
Reply 5
Original post by itsbrainsurgery

im definitely interested in helping other people by making their lives more better
Original post by Anonymous
more of a general q, in my clinical year, no idea which speciality i want to go, if we do an intercalated degree if it is related to the speciality would that be better in terms of securing a place? e.g. neuroscience for neurosurgery, endocrinology BSc for endrocinology or does this not matter as much?

any advice is appreciated

It doesn't matter for the scoring. You get points for any degree / qualification.

But it is good to show dedication at an early age, so for anything that's not scored automatically, you'll have an advantage.

im definitely interested in helping other people by making their lives more better

Good for you.
Making people's lives "more better" is an admirable goal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending