The Student Room Group

Take the accent/dialect Quiz!

Sometimes people don't say I "have an accent" but the quiz below shows I'm true to my roots :tongue: mine was bang on, is yours?

You don't necessarily need to post your result/where you're from, just let us know how accurate it was. Maybe you were brought up in different areas, let's see if it can pick that up!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

My result (completely correct):

Nottingham

Screenshot_20190217-093233_Facebook-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Scroll to see replies

Got London, which was correct!

words.PNG
Not accurate at all. I probably confused it cos i've lived in 3 very different regions
Very accurate for me, albeit it covered a reasonable sized geographic area...But that did include where I've grown up, and also the 2 different places my parents grew up, which would make sense. I use some words they don't have a clue what they mean, and they use some words I'd never use :smile:
Reply 4
My mum is from Derbyshire and has been in Nottingham for about 25 years so not too far off but randomly for Scarborough, she's obviously got a bit of a northern twang :tongue:

Screenshot_20190217-121406_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Is this accurate, or not so? :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Is this accurate, or not so? :tongue:

It's really accurate. A couple of the red areas north of London i'm not sure about but the rest :yy:
Basically this is only accurate if you grew up in one place
Not Reading, but they got the overall area correct

Screenshot_20190217-125249_Samsung Internet-compressed.jpg.jpeg
I got Cambridge, but I'm actually from East London :lol:
Mine got the gist 100% accurate but bunged a few dots in weird places on the map cause I plagiarise slang that blatantly isn't mine so I can meme on people.
map.PNG
Not too bad! I'm from Lowestoft in Suffolk.
hi
I want to know about Portsmouth University.
Original post by Ruhee Fatima
I want to know about Portsmouth University.

Try making a thread Here
This quiz is entertaining just for seeing all the crazy words some people have for things
Oh my god the drunk one :lol::lol::lol: I had to select nearly all of them
Mine was completely correct too (the area around Gloucester, Bath, and Taunton).

Had to put in some answers though, they didn't have my local word for woodlice for example.
Screenshot_20190217-170041_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Close, I am in Liverpool and I moved there from Poland in 2008 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest