The Student Room Group

Would I struggle with taking Accounting as a degree?

Hello, I am currently stuck as to which course to take at university, I like the idea of accounting and have family connections - however, for A level I take History, Law and Sociology . I feel as though this would put me at a disadvantage as I haven't taken subjects that would help like maths or economics. So is it worth considering Accounting as an option?

Many thanks
in my experience if u wanna become an accountant, ur better off learning on the job and studying aat or acca. job + salary + free or subsidised tuition. accounting degree = not qualified at end + huge debt + no job at end + probably end up doing acca to become an accountant which u could have started 4 years ago
(edited 5 years ago)
Just do any degree you fancy and then apply to kpmg or pwc at the end to do aca accounting.
I did do an accounting degree and then became an accountant but plenty who joined with me did other degrees. An aptitude or like if numbers helps but you don’t need maths a level as such. You don’t use anything like trigonometry in accounting much!
Original post by SJW-
in my experience if u wanna become an accountant, ur better off learning on the job and studying aat or acca. job + salary + free or subsidised tuition. accounting degree = not qualified at end + huge debt + no job at end + probably end up doing acca to become an accountant which u could have started 4 years ago

Thank you that's very helpful. in some accounting and audit firms they have postgraduate programmes would you suggest these would be helpful?even if I was to take another course such as history, as I thought taking an accounting degree would have helped me with prior understanding when applying to firms after university
Original post by Catherine1973
Just do any degree you fancy and then apply to kpmg or pwc at the end to do aca accounting.
I did do an accounting degree and then became an accountant but plenty who joined with me did other degrees. An aptitude or like if numbers helps but you don’t need maths a level as such. You don’t use anything like trigonometry in accounting much!

Thank you, what sort of things did you study in your accounting degree?
We’re talking 1994 but some law, some management theories, accounting around the world, statistics, economics etc.
Original post by Catherine1973
We’re talking 1994 but some law, some management theories, accounting around the world, statistics, economics etc.

Ah ok, thank you. so as an accountant on a day to day basis what sort of things do you deal with?
Day to day there is preparing reports on profit and loss for the past month, what we owe and are owed. Then forward looking to budgets for next year. Working out pay back periods on new purchases. Then you have audiotors come in once a year to review the year end accounts, also do tax computations. I also do payroll and royalty reporting. Manage the cash flow and approve payments, check people have invoiced is the right thing. Occasionally review another company if we want to buy it?
Original post by Imogen987654
Thank you that's very helpful. in some accounting and audit firms they have postgraduate programmes would you suggest these would be helpful?even if I was to take another course such as history, as I thought taking an accounting degree would have helped me with prior understanding when applying to firms after university

u can apply for those any degree goes grad schemes. but seems like one hell of a risk - i.e. ur going to spend all the money and time just to have a shot at a grad scheme where u might not even pass the initial online test let alone get to an assessment centre. they might actually have acca apprenticeships actually
Reply 9
Original post by Imogen987654

It depends on the firm (and of course any of them may change their recruitment preferences in the next few years). Larger firms don't really have preferred degrees - and plenty of people get in with degrees like history. Some smaller firms prefer business or numerate degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending