The Student Room Group

Am I pure british?

Okay so usually, when someone says they’ve been born and brought up in the UK their whole life, you immediately think okay that person’s a pure Brit.

In my case, my parents got married abroad and they were supposed to come to the UK to settle down and start a family, but they decided to stay in their home country a while longer. Eventually, I was born.

Then when I was 6 months old, we moved to the UK. So only the first 6 months of my life were spent in a foreign country and another 17 years and 10 months were spent in the UK.

I hate how I had to be born in that certain country, because everyone immediately thinks I’m not british. I hate how my place of birth has to be mentioned anywhere, and frankly I’m embarrassed of being born there.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so usually, when someone says they’ve been born and brought up in the UK their whole life, you immediately think okay that person’s a pure Brit.

Er...no.
Reply 2
Original post by Azeee
Er...no.

What do you think then?
Is there something wrong with not being British?
Reply 4
Original post by FTheOpps
Is there something wrong with not being British?

Yes
What's so terrible and embarrassing about not being a "pure" Brit? Is your idea of a "pure" Brit someone who is 100% English by blood or simply someone who was born in Britain? If this is some sort of attempt at trolling people it's not very elaborate...
Reply 6
Original post by FTheOpps
What's so terrible and embarrassing about not being a "pure" Brit? Is your idea of a "pure" Brit someone who is 100% English by blood or simply someone who was born in Britain? If this is some sort of attempt at trolling people it's not very elaborate...

Someone who is born in Britain...

You’re all not understanding my question properly.
Reply 7
What do you think then?

I disagree with your premise - it's really about where you grew up, not where you were born.

I especially disagree with your use of "pure brit" 'cos if you ask someone to describe such a person you'd get a bunch of different answers.

If you care that much about what people think of you based on where you were born, you might as well just lie and tell them you were born in the UK (you probably have a british regional accent if you've lived here since you were 6 months old anyway).

I think if you take the time to step back and think about this then you'll find that the only person judging you is yourself.

Edit - Obviously if we're talking about British as a nationality, then the answer becomes way more broad, but I was more talking about feeling as if you have grown up as a Brit.
(edited 5 years ago)
Okay I think I understand what you're talking about now. You shouldn't use the word "pure" to describe someone who was born in Britain because people will get confused and think you're talking about race. There's nothing wrong with being born in another country...
where were you born then? tbh nobody gives a toss about where you're from, im british but dont look it. some look it but aren't british.

nobodys going to ask for your british birth certificate, if u have a biritsh passport then congrats you're british but honestly theres nothing special about being british...it doesn't make you any more superior than the next
Someone who is born in Britain...

You’re all not understanding my question properly.

You're not asking your question properly.

In my case, my parents got married abroad and they were supposed to come to the UK to settle down and start a family, but they decided to stay in their home country a while longer. Eventually, I was born.

Then when I was 6 months old, we moved to the UK. So only the first 6 months of my life were spent in a foreign country and another 17 years and 10 months were spent in the UK.

I hate how I had to be born in that certain country, because everyone immediately thinks I’m not british. I hate how my place of birth has to be mentioned anywhere, and frankly I’m embarrassed of being born there.

Edit: cut out the word “pure”. Apologies on my behalf
There is no scale of "purity" in terms of Britishness. Our nationality laws make you British either by birth, descent or naturalisation, and there is absolutely no difference to the validity of any of those citizenships.

It's a straight choice: are you British or not? I am British by birth, you are British by descent, and there hundreds of thousands each year wishing to become naturalised as British. We are all equally British.

The mere fact that you were born abroad does not mean you have to add a hyphenated explanation to your sense of Britishness. Boris Johnson was the Britsh Foreign Secretary despite being born in the United States.
The whole concept of being British is fundamentally racist. People from the UK are either English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish (Northern Ireland).Haha I'm kidding. You are partly from another country and like 95% British. Mate take in the idea that being born in another country is awesome. If you have a pure English accent or something then people will be like de*** haha
Original post by 学生の父
There is no scale of "purity" in terms of Britishness. Our nationality laws make you British either by birth, descent or naturalisation, and there is absolutely no difference to the validity of any of those citizenships.

It's a straight choice: are you British or not? I am British by birth, you are British by descent, and there hundreds of thousands each year wishing to become naturalised as British. We are all equally British.

The mere fact that you were born abroad does not mean you have to add a hyphenated explanation to your sense of Britishness. Boris Johnson was the Britsh Foreign Secretary despite being born in the United States.

But the US isn’t an embarrassing place to born in. Bangladesh is. People don’t look down on your for being born in the US, but they will if you tell them you were born in Bangladesh, a low economically developed country with low morals and values
But the US isn’t an embarrassing place to born in. Bangladesh is. People don’t look down on your for being born in the US, but they will if you tell them you were born in Bangladesh, a low economically developed country with low morals and values

How is that embarrassing? My grandfather was born in Pakistan and came to the UK at the age of 16. He worked extremely hard and became qualified to teach at a well known university. Despite having a slight accent, you wouldn't be able to tell that he was born there. He is proud to have been born there and he is proud to be British. Just because a country is less economically developed than another, it doesn't mean that they have "low morals and values". There are many areas in London, such as Peckham, that you could generalise as full of people with "low morals and values", but that doesn't mean that everyone born in Peckham has that. No one's going to look down on you for being born in Bangladesh except for yourself because you have a twisted idea of where one should be born to have "good morals and values".
Even if you were born here I wouldn't call you pure british.
For me 'pure british' is someone who is british and was born into a british family which has lived in britain for generations. Really I wouldn't say many are 'pure' british.
Are you british though? Yes I would say you are British.

I don't think Bangladesh is an embarrassing country to be born in.
Bangladesh has a vibrant food scene, democratically elected female leader, strong textiles economy and manufacturing base.
I'm female and born in London.

Countries don't have morals or values- people and governments do.
I have many friends who were either born in Bangladesh or their ancestors were. Some strongly identify with the country, others have no interest in Bangladesh or their family's past.
None of them look down on anyone else.
Reply 18

If your parents have british ethinicity and you have a british passport then both ur nationality and ethnicity is british. Even if u arent british, so what? Britain is crap atm anyway
What is this, Harry Potter?

You're a mudblood OP #out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending