The Student Room Group

WJEC A Level Eng Lit Coursework - do quotations contribute to word count?

I recently found a notation in one of the English exam boards' exemplar materials documents that said that quotations and references to the title of a novel can be omitted from the word count (I can't remember if it was AQA or OCR).

Does anyone know if this is the case for WJEC as well? I asked my lecturer, who said he didn't know and that it didn't matter because I shouldn't be getting anywhere close to the word limit anyway (sigh).
Original post by gyllgi
I recently found a notation in one of the English exam boards' exemplar materials documents that said that quotations and references to the title of a novel can be omitted from the word count (I can't remember if it was AQA or OCR).

Does anyone know if this is the case for WJEC as well? I asked my lecturer, who said he didn't know and that it didn't matter because I shouldn't be getting anywhere close to the word limit anyway (sigh).

Hi gyllgi. The answer is in the specification document (pages 16 and 17 of www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/english/r-english-literature-gce-from-2015/wjec-gce-english-lit-spec-from-2015.pdf), to wit

Word count
It is the centre's responsibility to inform learners of the guidance relating to word
count for Unit 5:

Unit 5 Advisory Word Count
Prose Study 2500-3500 words

The advisory word count includes quotations used within a candidate’s assignment.

References made through footnotes and bibliographies are excluded from the word
count.
Candidates are expected to follow the guidelines on the length of folders as stated in
this specification. Candidates who offer work that is too short are penalising
themselves by not allowing appropriate coverage of the required assessment
objectives. Candidates who exceed the advisory word count are penalising
themselves through a lack of precision and focus.
Learners are required to record the total word count on the coversheet.

So, that word count is advisory and does include quotations.

What works are you studying for Unit 5?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 学生の父
Hi gyllgi. The answer is in the specification document (pages 16 and 17 of www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/english/r-english-literature-gce-from-2015/wjec-gce-english-lit-spec-from-2015.pdf), to wit

Word count
It is the centre's responsibility to inform learners of the guidance relating to word
count for Unit 5:

Unit 5 Advisory Word Count
Prose Study 2500-3500 words

The advisory word count includes quotations used within a candidate’s assignment.

References made through footnotes and bibliographies are excluded from the word
count.
Candidates are expected to follow the guidelines on the length of folders as stated in
this specification. Candidates who offer work that is too short are penalising
themselves by not allowing appropriate coverage of the required assessment
objectives. Candidates who exceed the advisory word count are penalising
themselves through a lack of precision and focus.
Learners are required to record the total word count on the coversheet.

So, that word count is advisory and does include quotations.

What works are you studying for Unit 5?

Thank you! I must have completely skimmed over that.

I'm studying '1984' and 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro.
Original post by gyllgi
Thank you! I must have completely skimmed over that.

I'm studying '1984' and 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I think I would find the Ishiguro more appealing than the Orwell, to be honest, but there are some pretty dark themes in both novels!

Quick Reply