The Student Room Group

Would i get into Southampton?(law)

So my GCSEs were average for my school and were 5A*s , 4As and 1B
I am dedicated to revising for my LNAT and am pretty sure i can achieve about 30.
My a level predicated grades are likely to be something like A*A*A or A*A*A*
I have also built up many extracurriculars/law related activities/work experience to ensure that when i write my Personal statement it will be strong

I am thinking of applying to
1) Durham
2) Nottingham
3) idk
4) Southampton
5) maybe Cardiff

I feel like I should go for Cardiff as my insurance in case I don’t get into Southampton. However I don’t want to go to Cardiff and would be really disappointed if I ended up going there.
What are my chances of getting an offer from Southampton? If I knew I would get into Southampton I would feel more comfortable applying to unis such as Manchester or Leeds as my realistic choices , instead of wasting a space on Cardiff

Scroll to see replies

I realise my LNAT isn’t relevant to Southampton, sorry
Reply 2
Original post by rose.obrien
I am dedicated to revising for my LNAT and am pretty sure i can achieve about 30.
I have also built up many extracurriculars/law related activities/work experience to ensure that when i write my Personal statement it will be strong

1) Durham
2) Nottingham
3) idk
4) Southampton
5) maybe Cardiff

I feel like I should go for Cardiff as my insurance in case I don’t get into Southampton. However I don’t want to go to Cardiff and would be really disappointed if I ended up going there.
What are my chances of getting an offer from Southampton? If I knew I would get into Southampton I would feel more comfortable applying to unis such as Manchester or Leeds as my realistic choices , instead of wasting a space on Cardiff

Southampton has a 67% average offer rate for Law
https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-southampton-s27/courses/law-llb-hons-2019-c0c7ce36ebe5

And you can check against your specific predicted grades here:
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

However, you have until NEXT January to decide all this. Have you visited any of these universities?

1) Durham
2) Nottingham
3) idk
4) Southampton
5) maybe Cardiff

I think you would have an excellent chance of getting offered a place by Southampton with those GCSEs and if you continued working at such a high level in your A levels. Also, I don't think you should apply to Cardiff if you really don't want to go there.

As the above poster has suggested, Year 12 is the time to start booking and attending Open Days, so you can get a better feel for which Unis you like the most

1) Durham
2) Nottingham
3) idk
4) Southampton
5) maybe Cardiff

There is nothing to suggest you wont get an offer from Southampton. Possibly look at Exeter as they dont rely on LNAT. As already said draw up a list and visit open days. Do you prefer big or small cities, campus or city based universities or which part of the UK. Durham is totally different to Leeds or Manchester.

1) Durham
2) Nottingham
3) idk
4) Southampton
5) maybe Cardiff

If you don't want to go to Cardiff then don't effing apply there. Simple.
Reply 6

Also, why are you rulling out Oxbridge and the London universities?
Original post by Doonesbury
Also, why are you rulling out Oxbridge and the London universities?

I don’t like london :smile: I’m happy getting a job there later, but I feel like I want to experience student life elsewhere
Im flattered but i would get a straight rejection from Oxbridge lool. Law is so competitive there!! My GCSEs are average in context of my school. people in my school who are applying are the people with straight A*s, and only a few of those people manage to get in
Southampton has a 67% average offer rate for Law
https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-southampton-s27/courses/law-llb-hons-2019-c0c7ce36ebe5

And you can check against your specific predicted grades here:
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

However, you have until NEXT January to decide all this. Have you visited any of these universities?

Thank u.Yes I’ve visited both and like Southampton but not too keen on Cardiff
Reply 9
I don’t like london :smile: I’m happy getting a job there later, but I feel like I want to experience student life elsewhere
Im flattered but i would get a straight rejection from Oxbridge lool. Law is so competitive there!! My GCSEs are average in context of my school. people in my school who are applying are the people with straight A*s, and only a few of those people manage to get in

If you like the course at Cambridge or Oxford then apply. You have a typical profile, and GCSEs are not hugely important anyway. The offer rate at Cambridge is about 25% for Law - you have 5 choices on your UCAS, why shouldn't one of them be Oxbridge (again, if you like the course).

If you don't apply I guarantee you won't get an offer...
Original post by harrysbar
I think you would have an excellent chance of getting offered a place by Southampton with those GCSEs and if you continued working at such a high level in your A levels. Also, I don't think you should apply to Cardiff if you really don't want to go there.

As the above poster has suggested, Year 12 is the time to start booking and attending Open Days, so you can get a better feel for which Unis you like the most

Ok that’s good to know, thank u!
I’ll start looking at open days also , thanks for reminding me ❤️
Reply 11
... but not too keen on Cardiff

Well that frees up a slot for Cambridge or Oxford :wink:

Edit: but this is all very early.... by the way, if you *do* consider including Oxbridge then you need to apply to them by the 15th Oct, but you do not have to also include your 4 other choices. You can add them later at any stage before the 15th January. Indeed it can be a good tactic to hold back 1 or 2 choices until after you get your Oxbridge decision in early January.

Note, once you apply you can't change your application - your PS and reference etc remains the same even if you add other choices later.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
There is nothing to suggest you wont get an offer from Southampton. Possibly look at Exeter as they dont rely on LNAT. As already said draw up a list and visit open days. Do you prefer big or small cities, campus or city based universities or which part of the UK. Durham is totally different to Leeds or Manchester.

Ok thank u:smile:
I know a few YouTubees who are against Exeter for some reason, so I’ll have to look into that
i’ll start to draw up a list , I like not too busy cities (I’m not too interested in nightlife) which is partly why I ruled out London from the start. I also prefer campus (i ruled out Bristol). can u recommend any other unis u think I’d be interested in?
If you like the course at Cambridge or Oxford then apply. You have a typical profile, and GCSEs are not hugely important anyway. The offer rate at Cambridge is about 25% for Law - you have 5 choices on your UCAS, why shouldn't one of them be Oxbridge (again, if you like the course).

If you don't apply I guarantee you won't get an offer...

Tempting! But lots of my friends and all 4 of my cousins have achieved straight A*s and none of them applied to oxbridge. Having achieved only 5 (not 10 A*s) and applying, I would feel stupid
Idkkkk
The process is very stressful as well
Reply 14
Tempting! But lots of my friends and all 4 of my cousins have achieved straight A*s and none of them applied to oxbridge. Having achieved only 5 (not 10 A*s) and applying, I would feel stupid
Idkkkk

There are plenty of people at Oxbridge with fewer than 5 A*s at GCSEs. Your GCSEs aren't the most important factor.

Of course, if you don't like the content and/or the collegiate and tutorial/supervision systems, then that's fine. But if you do, I suggest you visit and make your own mind up. You might be pleasantly surprised...

PS. did you see my edit about deadlines?
(edited 5 years ago)
Well that frees up a slot for Cambridge or Oxford :wink:

Edit: but this is all very early.... by the way, if you *do* consider including Oxbridge then you need to apply to them by the 15th Oct, but you do not have to also include your 4 other choices. You can add them later at any stage before the 15th January. Indeed it can be a good tactic to hold back 1 or 2 choices until after you get your Oxbridge decision in early January.

Note, once you apply you can't change your application - your PS and reference etc remains the same even if you add other choices later.

That’s actually quite interesting to know, didn’t know it was like that
Don’t think I’ll apply tho, I’m pretty much set on Durham and doubtful if I’d even get into there!
Idkkkk

Perhaps they were really dull or mere spoon-fed application fodder? 😆
Reply 17
That’s actually quite interesting to know, didn’t know it was like that
Don’t think I’ll apply tho, I’m pretty much set on Durham and doubtful if I’d even get into there!

I've seen people on TSR get offers from Oxbridge but not Durham (and vice-versa obviously). You can apply to Durham and Oxbridge and let the experts make the decision for you :smile:
There are plenty of people at Oxbridge with fewer than 5 A*s at GCSEs. Your GCSEs aren't the most important factor.

Of course, if you don't like the content and/or the collegiate and tutorial/supervision systems, then that's fine. But if you do, I suggest you visit and make your own mind up. You might be pleasantly surprised...

PS. did you see my edit about deadlines?

I know that they take into account how well your school performed, and I only got average grades (in context of my school)
Wouldn’t the plenty of people with less than 5A*s only be considered because they excelled in context of their school? Oxbridge is the most competitive in the UK, so I feel that that would be the only reason,right? That’s my thinking anyway
Original post by ageshallnot
Perhaps they were really dull or mere spoon-fed application fodder? 😆

Trust me they’re geniuses😫

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending