The Student Room Group

I am lost with my career path. I really need advice:(

Hello,

I don't even know if anyone will see this, but I am currently applying to study pharmacy. I got some decent offers like from Kings, but deep down I just want to study medicine, become a psychiatrist and... things are messed up. Due to Brexit and other reasons, it would be dumb not to go study, if my exam results satisfy the requirements. I thought about finishing pharmacy and then attempting to pursue a career in medicine, but I don't think I want to spend 15 years studying. I don't know what to do. If there's anyone out there, I'd really appreciate a talk.
Reply 1
I’m sort of in the same situation, My UKCAT let me down in my application for medicine resulting in me not being able to pursue the medical career straight away. I got all of my offers for neuroscience (3) however and this led to me looking at alternative careers. I’m currently looking to go in to clinical neuropsychology - not too far from being a doctor- but if I end up reaching the end of my neuroscience degree I’ll apply for postgrad medicine. There are always other paths into medicine: postgrad, a second undergrad degree on top of your pharmacy degree, re applying next year and taking a year out or even through clearing ( I know st George’s do clearing). The field of medicine is soooo vast so you could have a medical career just without being a “doctor”.

I hope that helps a little :smile:
Original post by vienuole
Hello,

I don't even know if anyone will see this, but I am currently applying to study pharmacy. I got some decent offers like from Kings, but deep down I just want to study medicine, become a psychiatrist and... things are messed up. Due to Brexit and other reasons, it would be dumb not to go study, if my exam results satisfy the requirements. I thought about finishing pharmacy and then attempting to pursue a career in medicine, but I don't think I want to spend 15 years studying. I don't know what to do. If there's anyone out there, I'd really appreciate a talk.

Hi, did you apply to medicine at any medical schools?
Reply 3
Original post by laurenl7
I’m sort of in the same situation, My UKCAT let me down in my application for medicine resulting in me not being able to pursue the medical career straight away. I got all of my offers for neuroscience (3) however and this led to me looking at alternative careers. I’m currently looking to go in to clinical neuropsychology - not too far from being a doctor- but if I end up reaching the end of my neuroscience degree I’ll apply for postgrad medicine. There are always other paths into medicine: postgrad, a second undergrad degree on top of your pharmacy degree, re applying next year and taking a year out or even through clearing ( I know st George’s do clearing). The field of medicine is soooo vast so you could have a medical career just without being a “doctor”.

I hope that helps a little :smile:

WOW! Thank you so much for the reply, I honestly did not think I'd get at least one. It's kind of funny as I considered neuroscience as well, but chose MPharm and it is the dumbest decision I've made so far :smile:. Nevertheless, medicine was always my passion, particularly psychiatry, but the pressure I got from my parents ("you should become a dentist, not a shrink") resulted in the suppression of my true feelings and dreams. However, even if I woke up late, I want to at least make the right choices now. I also thought a lot about postgrad medicine and I think this is the only option I have right now. A gap year is just not for me. Therefore, I am thinking about finishing the MPharm as mentioned before and then applying to medicine, but I think 5 years is just a lot (even if I am interested), whereas neuroscience (3 years) would be a better situation (plus I would absolutely love my studies). I know I could study medicine in my country and probably even for free, as it is much easier to get into medicine in my country, particularly, if you are an IB student like me. Nevertheless, the study quality in Kings, Cardiff or UCL (if my interview turns out to be successful and I get an offer), no matter what you are studying is 1000000x times better than in my country and there would certainly be more employment possibilities. I think it would be dumb to stay in my hometown for the rest of my life. The chances of residency abroad are non-existent, if you're studying medicine in my country. Moreover, there is no respect for students, there are far too many students needed for this small country and even the parents of my friends, which are doctors, are strongly advising not to study medicine here for their own children. Consequently, what do you think is it worth it to study MPharm and attempt to get into postgrad medicine afterwards? I'm afraid that running from pharmacy to medicine is not a great idea as I'd be doing a betrayal or something as if it was always my initial idea. I've read medical schools don't like this. Or maybe there is a possibility to change your study program in the first year, if you satisfy the requirements (like to neuroscience)? Or is this too risky? I know I woke up too late, but I'm literally planning to spend my whole summer in an ambulance to get some kind of experience that might be helpful in the future. My choices are messed up, but at least I'm trying to figure something out now:frown:
Reply 4
Original post by The A-level kid
Hi, did you apply to medicine at any medical schools?

I spilled my heart out in the reply before, but no I did not... that it the problem and I have no other option apart from postgrad medicine. I am against a gap year plus Brexit might mess stuff up for EU students, regarding the tuition fees. I don't want to risk waiting a year. Moreover, only few get into undergraduate medicine from my country. Every single career counselor is strongly advising to think just about postgrad medicine, undergraduate medicine is just not realistic for us. Our national diploma (Brandos atestatas) is just crap:biggrin: That's why I'm taking the IB diploma program and with the IB chances are higher, but as mentioned before, I woke up too late.
Reply 5
At least you know now and you’re not completely stuck so don’t rule anything out just yet. You could apply to neuroscience through clearing- that’s always an option. Also some unis do allow you to transfer to a different course, I’d just give them a call or email to ask if this would be possible. In addition, lots of unis that offer postgrad medicine look for students to have a medicine based undergrad degree and I think pharmacy would be acceptable by many if it is what you would want to do to start off with. I wish you all the best with this and if you have any more questions I’m happy to have a go at answering them :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by laurenl7
At least you know now and you’re not completely stuck so don’t rule anything out just yet. You could apply to neuroscience through clearing- that’s always an option. Also some unis do allow you to transfer to a different course, I’d just give them a call or email to ask if this would be possible. In addition, lots of unis that offer postgrad medicine look for students to have a medicine based undergrad degree and I think pharmacy would be acceptable by many if it is what you would want to do to start off with. I wish you all the best with this and if you have any more questions I’m happy to have a go at answering them :smile:

Okay! Thank you so much for your help and advice! I really appreciate it! 100 karma points!!!
Reply 7
No problem at all! :smile:
i wanted to medicine but my UKCAT score was too low to apply. I thought it ruined my life because i thought i wanted to do medicine so bad and become a paediatrician. i applied for MPharm because it was my only other option but now i’m actually so happy that i did. there are so many ways that pharmacy is evolving now as it is moving into GP practices and pharmacists are soon going to be doing doctors roles. don’t be upset about not being able to medicine because there are so many opportunities in pharmacy and they are introducing mental health into pharmacy more so it’s wont be that far off being a psychiatrist if you get me
Original post by georgimidd
i wanted to medicine but my UKCAT score was too low to apply. I thought it ruined my life because i thought i wanted to do medicine so bad and become a paediatrician. i applied for MPharm because it was my only other option but now i’m actually so happy that i did. there are so many ways that pharmacy is evolving now as it is moving into GP practices and pharmacists are soon going to be doing doctors roles. don’t be upset about not being able to medicine because there are so many opportunities in pharmacy and they are introducing mental health into pharmacy more so it’s wont be that far off being a psychiatrist if you get me

I can second that about Pharmacists moving into doctor's surgeries because at my surgery we now have a "dispensing pharmacist" working full time, and it is only a small surgery. Half the time (or more) now, when we phone up to get a doctor's appointment, we get booked in with the dispensing pharmacist instead - he is really like a GP in most ways and a member of my family was even booked in with him re mental health issues, so it's not like his only role is dispensing antibiotics or other drugs.

But regarding the neuroscience idea, if you really feel that you would prefer to do that course, your first step should be phoning Admissions at your chosen Unis and asking whether a trasfer would be possible. If they do the course and have vacancies, you don't necessarily need to wait for Clearing to make the switch.
Reply 10
Original post by harrysbar
I can second that about Pharmacists moving into doctor's surgeries because at my surgery we now have a "dispensing pharmacist" working full time, and it is only a small surgery. Half the time (or more) now, when we phone up to get a doctor's appointment, we get booked in with the dispensing pharmacist instead - he is really like a GP in most ways and a member of my family was even booked in with him re mental health issues, so it's not like his only role is dispensing antibiotics or other drugs.

But regarding the neuroscience idea, if you really feel that you would prefer to do that course, your first step should be phoning Admissions at your chosen Unis and asking whether a trasfer would be possible. If they do the course and have vacancies, you don't necessarily need to wait for Clearing to make the switch.

Thank you so much for your answer!!! Nevertheless, I'd like to ask about phoning. Should I consult with the admissions before I start my studies? I mean right now while I am still in school I should call them and talk about the course change possibilities?
Reply 11
Original post by georgimidd

Yes, I've read a lot about how pharmacists are embraced to take up more responsibilities and how important it is to boost confidence in treating patients with mental health problems. Nevertheless, psychiatry is more than just treating the physical aspects of the patient - which is the main reason why I'm afraid I'd always be in the shadow of a psychiatrist even as a mental health pharmacist. The combination of treating physical and mental health of an individual is just fascinating to me and I fully understand why one has to spend more than 10 years to become a fit psychiatrist. You do become a medical doctor after all... Although, I'll probably spend like 15 years of studying (combined with MPharm), I wish to become a great professional in the field of my interest and a great understanding of medications is vital. I think that is something that provides a great deal of motivation to me. BUT I am afraid that I'll die with my loans:biggrin:..........I hope I've expressed my thoughts thoroughly here...
Thank you so much for your answer!!! Nevertheless, I'd like to ask about phoning. Should I consult with the admissions before I start my studies? I mean right now while I am still in school I should call them and talk about the course change possibilities?

Yes, you should phone admissions as soon as possible. That is part of their job, to give information and advice to potential students and they will be able to tell you if there are vacancies in other courses and whether a course change is possible
Hello,

If you don't mind me saying, would you rather not take a gap year and reapply for Medicine than do a degree in a subject you don't want to do and effectively waste 3-5 years?

You could work on your UKCAT/BMAT etc as well as your PS. And, in the event that you don't get in again, you could deeply consider an alternative that you would be VERY happy to study (as opposed to Pharmacy).

Imagine how happy you'd be studying Medicine starting from next year or studying another degree you want to do (Neuroscience or something) at a very prestigious university.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by harrysbar
Yes, you should phone admissions as soon as possible. That is part of their job, to give information and advice to potential students and they will be able to tell you if there are vacancies in other courses and whether a course change is possible

Thank you! 100 karma points!
Thank you! 100 karma points!

Ooh, that's nice... I do kinda believe in karma so :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Quick-use
If you don't mind me saying, would you rather not take a gap year and reapply for Medicine than do a degree in a subject you don't want to do and effectively waste 3-5 years?

You could work on your UKCAT/BMAT etc as well as your PS. And, in the event that you don't get in again, you could deeply consider an alternative that you would be VERY happy to study (as opposed to Pharmacy).

Imagine how happy you'd be studying Medicine starting from next year or studying another degree you want to do (Neuroscience or something) at a very prestigious university.

I have considered taking a gap year, but it is a very high risk... As I mentioned before, all counselors are strongly advising not to apply to undergraduate medicine as it is unrealistic that you will get in. I know I might just sound pessimistic, but this really is the case. In my country, I'm studying at one of the best schools there are and not a single person has ever gotten into medicine abroad. Moreover, there is this one better school than mine (the best actually), where people are literally geniuses and only one succeeded last year, no joke. 3 of my classmates also attempted to get in this year, but got rejected by all the universities they applied to. Many career counselors tell us that maybe our country's education is just not considered good enough. The diploma "Brandos atestatas" we obtain in particular. That's why more schools are now starting to integrate the IB Diploma programme as it is recognized worldwide, but even so only one student succeeded to get into medicine abroad as I mentioned. Moreover, Brexit might really mess stuff up for the EU students. There is always a possibility that tuition fees might become higher for us.
Lastly, I'll be attending the UCL interview on Friday, if get an offer and if I get the required exam results later, I think it would be stupid to take the risk with a gap year... Anyhow, I do believe I'll know my path only when I get my diploma. Who knows, anything can happen. Maybe I'll get in as it was destined to be, maybe I will be just forced to take a gap year and rewrite some of my exams.
I know this thread is kind of over now but I'm definitely in the same sort of situation

I'm currently in year 13 and applied to study midwifery. I got all 5 offers and ended up firming Leeds as through the access course the grade requirements were lowered to BBC with a B in biology, and put Manchester as my insurance even though they require ABB (my a-levels are biology, chemistry and religious studies). I always wanted to do medicine but during years 11 and 12 I suffered a lot with mental health and various family and personal issues (that my school are unaware of!) which resulted in me doubting my abilities and not applying to medicine. I sort of decided on midwifery on a whim, which makes me feel guilty considering I got all of my offers and some people who are definitely more passionate about the career than I am were rejected - I seem to have a natural talent for convincing people with bs lol. I liked Leeds when I visited for my interview; it is both a great uni and city, and for midwifery/nursing currently ranks no1 so it seemed to be the obvious choice to go there. I was content with this for the most part until recently, I feel like I'm going to be wasting my time there. Becoming a midwife takes a lot of time and effort - of course I am well aware of this and would never ever drop out of the degree or not practise to the best of my ability, it's not right for a healthcare professional to do that and it's simply not my nature anyway. I'm on track to achieve higher than my required grades (or so I hope) and I keep kicking myself for not applying to medicine initially. I always wanted to do an intercalated degree as I have a massive interest in neuroscience also. So, that brings me to the question - supposing I do score 3 As or higher, is it worth me either:

continuing with my midwifery degree, which means a job is almost guaranteed following graduation
going into neuroscience through clearing/adjustment, where the job prospects aren't quite as forthcoming (or so it appears)
TRYING to go through clearing and get onto a medicine degree - I emphasise 'trying' here because I know that this is a very risky idea
take a gap year and reapply? I don't think I have the balls to do this, knowing the probable reaction of my family
The thing is, I am definitely really invested in and passionate for all 3 degrees, so I'm having a dilemma.
I would appreciate any feedback/help, and I'm fully aware how I have came across in this post!!
Original post by user30710
I know this thread is kind of over now but I'm definitely in the same sort of situation

I'm currently in year 13 and applied to study midwifery. I got all 5 offers and ended up firming Leeds as through the access course the grade requirements were lowered to BBC with a B in biology, and put Manchester as my insurance even though they require ABB (my a-levels are biology, chemistry and religious studies). I always wanted to do medicine but during years 11 and 12 I suffered a lot with mental health and various family and personal issues (that my school are unaware of!) which resulted in me doubting my abilities and not applying to medicine. I sort of decided on midwifery on a whim, which makes me feel guilty considering I got all of my offers and some people who are definitely more passionate about the career than I am were rejected - I seem to have a natural talent for convincing people with bs lol. I liked Leeds when I visited for my interview; it is both a great uni and city, and for midwifery/nursing currently ranks no1 so it seemed to be the obvious choice to go there. I was content with this for the most part until recently, I feel like I'm going to be wasting my time there. Becoming a midwife takes a lot of time and effort - of course I am well aware of this and would never ever drop out of the degree or not practise to the best of my ability, it's not right for a healthcare professional to do that and it's simply not my nature anyway. I'm on track to achieve higher than my required grades (or so I hope) and I keep kicking myself for not applying to medicine initially. I always wanted to do an intercalated degree as I have a massive interest in neuroscience also. So, that brings me to the question - supposing I do score 3 As or higher, is it worth me either:

continuing with my midwifery degree, which means a job is almost guaranteed following graduation
going into neuroscience through clearing/adjustment, where the job prospects aren't quite as forthcoming (or so it appears)
TRYING to go through clearing and get onto a medicine degree - I emphasise 'trying' here because I know that this is a very risky idea
take a gap year and reapply? I don't think I have the balls to do this, knowing the probable reaction of my family
The thing is, I am definitely really invested in and passionate for all 3 degrees, so I'm having a dilemma.
I would appreciate any feedback/help, and I'm fully aware how I have came across in this post!!

You've come across just fine in this post :smile:

If you end up getting 3 As at A level I would try really hard to convince your family to allow you to take a Gap Year since I believe it would be the best thing for you to follow your dream and at least try to get into medicine for 2020. Of course it is possible that there may be the odd medicine course available in Clearing for 2019 entry, but obviously there won't be many vacancies (if any). Maybe you should start trying to talk to your family about it now or after the exams, to try and get them used to the possiblity that you may wish to switch to a different course.
Hello,

Don’t really know anything about medicine or jobs. But my cousin of in her first year st uni and she’s changed her mind about her course and what she what’s to pursue so much. It went from nurse to doctor to GP to psychiatrist. I can’t really give a practical advice but I would say to follow your instinct and let yourself change your mind and make mistakes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending