The Student Room Group

I don’t think I have any friends.

The people who I sit with at school and regard as friends don’t text me, invite me to parties or seem to really want to know me. What should I do as they are my only friends (although they don’t really seem to like me)?

Scroll to see replies

Hello!
I am sorry that you feel that way. It is not very easy to solve situation like this, especially if you feel you have no options. But there is plenty.
I know being alone feels like myself, and the only advice which can help - or, at least the only one we can give you online without knowing the situation properly - is to meet new people.
It can feel pretty isolating when you think that all people have friends already so you can not meet none else. But, the true is that there is always somebody in similar situation, or other people willing to include you. I found new friends myself by coincidence, as I am from the Czech Republic and I found other Czech students in a city I study now.
If you feel like these friendships you have already are not worth it, maybe it would be better to accept it and try to find new friends. You can do it via facebook (e. q. postgraduate students have groups and it should be relatively easy to invite them to a pub etc). It is a cliche, but similar hobbies are great for making new friends.
The other option, but the less probable, is to stop expect that they will do the first step. It really depends on how the relationships look like and how the people behave towards you. But, sometimes you may be (I am just quessing) less active. But, when you want to be a part of already formed group, you have to try. It means e. q. asking them what they are gonna do (maybe they are going to a party and they will invite you), try to be friendly (e. q. buy a bag of chocolates and share them during lecture - if it is allowed to eat there, ...). It definetely should not be like trying to much - but it is sometimes good to show that you would like to go to the party, that you are funny, etc.
I hope you will solve your problem quickly and won´t be alone any more!
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Do you lie to them and then go on the attack when they call you out on your lies?

Stop just stop. You are the one who is lying. Why can you not leave me alone? I am being victimised by you. I am reporting you to the TSR moderators. Just leave me alone. You need to find better things to do with you time.

Spoiler

Do you text them etc ? If not it works both ways
I was in the same situation back when I was in secondary school. It sucks, it really does so I know how you're feeling. What worked for me was realising that I don't need others to make me feel happy. I can be happy all on my own doing my own thing. I realised that happiness come internally, not from external factors.
Original post by MrsWright15
Do you text them etc ? If not it works both ways

I do.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
I was in the same situation back when I was in secondary school. It sucks, it really does so I know how you're feeling. What worked for me was realising that I don't need others to make me feel happy. I can be happy all on my own doing my own thing. I realised that happiness come internally, not from external factors.

Thank you I will remember that. If they being to make me feel bad. I will be better off moving on and removing them from my life.
Original post by A-LevelStudent17
The people who I sit with at school and regard as friends don’t text me, invite me to parties or seem to really want to know me. What should I do as they are my only friends (although they don’t really seem to like me)?

same problem with me.
tryand identify the problem with you.
i fall out with everyone i practically meet because im oversensitive or insensitive.
im trying to change that now.
Reply 8
Stop just stop. You are the one who is lying. Why can you not leave me alone? I am being victimised by you. I am reporting you to the TSR moderators. Just leave me alone. You need to find better things to do with you time.

Spoiler

Do you know this person?
and wanna spill the tea i might be able to help you alot
Original post by Lost_Sereniity
same problem with me.
i fall out with everyone i practically meet because im oversensitive or insensitive.

Thanks
Thank you I will remember that. If they being to make me feel bad. I will be better off moving on and removing them from my life.

Exactly, you deserve better than to have fake friends who don't give two sh*ts about you

Good luck and take care
Original post by JoshDarnIt

Couldn't have said it better myself. Currently getting out of a situation like this - my conversations are one way and if I don't text people they don't text me (for instance no one has texted me in around 5 days.) Yes, it is lonely to be in this situation but you have to find things you enjoy/ pass the time. Get a part time job, find hobbies but remember you will find better people later on in life.
Original post by Jasyy
Do you know this person?
and wanna spill the tea i might be able to help you alot

I don’t personally. Just there user name has been make false accusations about me on other threads. Make it look like they quoted me when they actually edited it first. When I confront them about it they claim I deleted the original post. I did no such thing
I do.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, I used to text, but all the conversations were very one sided (on my part) and rarely reply in the first place; even as I tried with 6 of my closest friends, they do sometimes invite me to do stuff but that's like once a half term whereas they all go out together at least twice if not more times. I have told them that I want to talk, but they never do, so what have done is completely deleted everyone off social media and I've just completely shut down emotionally until I get to uni and make new friends, it's tough but it's worked for now...but still a good handful of months to go. It's all okay at school though we are friends, it's just they don't give a damn when I'm not there for them to think about, it's like I'm completely forgotten the minute I'm not in the room. It's rather lonely but hey ho...I'm trying not to care.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Lost_Sereniity
same problem with me.

Woah it doesn’t mean you have a problem!

sometimes personalities just don’t click .
Original post by Max1989
Yeah I'm in the same boat, I used to text, but all the conversations were very one sided (on my part) and rarely reply in the first place; even as I tried with 6 of my closest friends, they do sometimes invite me to do stuff but that's like once a half term whereas they all go out together at least twice if not more times. I have told them that I want to talk, but they never do, so what have done is completely deleted everyone off social media and I've just completely shut down emotionally until I get to uni and make new friends, it's tough but it's worked for now...but still a good handful of months to go. It's all okay at school though we are friends, it's just they don't give a damn when I'm not there for them to think about, it's like I'm completely forgotten the minute I'm not in the room. It's rather lonely but hey ho...I'm trying not to care.

I am removing them from my life. Friends don’t make you feel like this
Let’s be online friends lol
I am removing them from my life. Friends don’t make you feel like this

That's what i've tried to do, but then again it's all I have so I don't want to let go 100% although I've felt like they've let me go (which is extremely toxic), If you are in year 12 then you have time for new ones, unfortunately I'm in year 13 with exams very soon so I do not have the time to make any new meaningful ones.
Original post by baeoftae
Let’s be online friends lol

OK. Thank You.
I had the same kinda problem at school, didn't quite fit in, was shy (I think a lot of people do) but I graduated a couple years ago now.

What I'd say is life really begins once you finish school, I learned to depend on myself more, studied a lot and after high school i've made great friends who understand me both at college (soon to be uni) and work. Just focus on it being temporary because it is, adult life isn't like high school. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending