The Student Room Group

Am I burning out ? What can I do to still succeed in GCSEs ? Asking for some advice.

In September up until now, I've been extremely driven- I've worked many hours a day studying / writing up flashcards for my GCSEs, I've had many 10 hour study days on the weekend, and I've got a heck of a lot of work done. I've worked on as little as 4 hours sleep for 4 days on the trot, and have sacrificed so much for my grades because I want to become a doctor.

People keep saying 'you're going to burn out' and I didn't really want to listen to them because the fire was in my heart and it made me happy studying, knowing I was giving my self the best chance of getting good GCSEs.

Yet now, during the middle of February, I feel like the fire is still in my heart to get the 8s and 9s, but it is my mind that is becoming increasingly tired and reluctant.
If I'm being honest, I've confined myself to a VERY strict routine of basically just study all day everyday, for the last few months.

I feel like I could be on the verge of burning out..

I really don't want to :-/ , but I just don't know what to do.

Do I give into my mind, or do I give in to my heart ?

I mean, all I do when I'm not working is worry about what I could be doing and my friends doing more than me, which will lead them to inevitably rubbing it in my face.

Man, this is a tough dilemma.

What do you think I should do ?

I need your advice. You might literally save my grades and dream of being a doctor.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Just reduce the hours you study.

In GCSE I only started 4 weeks before and it is totally doable. I got all A's. I am not trying to brag, but GCSE's are not as tough and important as you think they are. Many of my friends did this too xD

Now, as you have revised basically all day every day, you probably know the content for most subjects. But you are still most probably learning new topics, right? So just start doing past papers and obviously leave out the ones you haven't learned yet. It is only February, you have lost time.

Sleep is key, it helps in many ways. And if you are this bad now, then when it comes to exams you will be totally sleeping deprived and won't be able to concentrate on anything. Tyr to at least get 7+ hours.

If you keep the same drive for A levels, then trust me you can make it haha
Lol, I'm not trying to be rude by your actually very dumb!

If you wanted 8/9 and you are going to revise that much why not start in feb/Jan? Why would you start so early in the year - plus, since you have a burn out you would struggle to get good grades because, you will lack concentration and would be depressed.

In terms of advice I would say relax during half term and start doing small amounts and increase it during Easter holiday. Goodluck
Original post by lewis.h
In September up until now, I've been extremely driven- I've worked many hours a day studying / writing up flashcards for my GCSEs, I've had many 10 hour study days on the weekend, and I've got a heck of a lot of work done. I've worked on as little as 4 hours sleep for 4 days on the trot, and have sacrificed so much for my grades because I want to become a doctor.

People keep saying 'you're going to burn out' and I didn't really want to listen to them because the fire was in my heart and it made me happy studying, knowing I was giving my self the best chance of getting good GCSEs.

Yet now, during the middle of February, I feel like the fire is still in my heart to get the 8s and 9s, but it is my mind that is becoming increasingly tired and reluctant.
If I'm being honest, I've confined myself to a VERY strict routine of basically just study all day everyday, for the last few months.

I mean, all I do when I'm not working is worry about what I could be doing and my friends doing more than me, which will lead them to inevitably rubbing it in my face.

I need your advice. You might literally save my grades and dream of being a doctor.

Thanks.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5811142#

Firstly, you need to sleep more. You cannot be focused if you lack so much sleep. Your eyes will just be reading your notes and your brain will not actually absorb the information.
Also studying for long hours without any breaks or fresh air is not the best way to study. Take short breaks every half an hour, go and get some fresh air, go for a short walk, then come back to your work.
When you do take breaks, think how beneficial it is to your mind and how it will benefit you when you later come back to revise. You will be fresh and more energised and most importantly you will have taken a well-deserved break! Don't think that you are missing out from reading the next chapter or that your friends may be studying right this second, because, what is the point of studying when you will not absorb the information?
Everyone has their own way of studying, comparing yourself to others will not do you good.

I wish you the best of luck in your GCSEs, I know it is tough but you clearly have a lot of motivation and it is just about putting your mental health first and creating a better study plan.
Original post by lewis.h

Thanks.

Hey. This sounds just like me a year ago and now I've achieved really good grades and close to achieving good grades at A-Levels and doing medicine at Uni. I know it might seem like the worst idea now but please take a break. It is still super early and you sound like you are definitely going to get super high grades but don't burn yourself out. Right now just be consistent with a couple hours a day and more in the weekends and build it up when you need to. Make to-do lists for the day instead of forcing yourself to revise for longer hours because working smarter not harder is definitely a thing. I used to spend hours making notes but what got me the grades were the past papers and sleep. If you need any advice I'm here to help because I've just gone through everything you went through and learnt so much from experience. Good luck, you can do it!!
Reply 5
Original post by kurro
Just reduce the hours you study.

In GCSE I only started 4 weeks before and it is totally doable. I got all A's. I am not trying to brag, but GCSE's are not as tough and important as you think they are. Many of my friends did this too xD

Now, as you have revised basically all day every day, you probably know the content for most subjects. But you are still most probably learning new topics, right? So just start doing past papers and obviously leave out the ones you haven't learned yet. It is only February, you have lost time.

Sleep is key, it helps in many ways. And if you are this bad now, then when it comes to exams you will be totally sleeping deprived and won't be able to concentrate on anything. Tyr to at least get 7+ hours.

If you keep the same drive for A levels, then trust me you can make it haha

Thats actually sick man !!

But if you did legacy GCSEs, it’s harder to say how “easy” they are. I mean to contextualise the increase in difficulty of the new exams, we have basically triple the content for each subject you did, with such higher difficulty ; the last question on one of the legacy GCSE maths exam was literally the 14th question out of a 27 question exam.

But you’ve still done amazing none the less. And also a 9 = an A**. An 8 = A*.
Reply 6
Original post by matrix7200

If you wanted 8/9 and you are going to revise that much why not start in feb/Jan? Why would you start so early in the year - plus, since you have a burn out you would struggle to get good grades because, you will lack concentration and would be depressed.

In terms of advice I would say relax during half term and start doing small amounts and increase it during Easter holiday. Goodluck

I guess that’s what wanting to make you parents proud of you does to you. Haha !

But I’m not “burned out” as to say. I’m just getting closer to becoming burned out.

And I started so early so that now I can take in the information gradually as opposed to start the panicked rush that people begin to do around March, having done a lot of grafting already.
I basically worked to have the privilege to just do Practise Questions during exam season :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by hello5922
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5811142#

Firstly, you need to sleep more. You cannot be focused if you lack so much sleep. Your eyes will just be reading your notes and your brain will not actually absorb the information.
Also studying for long hours without any breaks or fresh air is not the best way to study. Take short breaks every half an hour, go and get some fresh air, go for a short walk, then come back to your work.
When you do take breaks, think how beneficial it is to your mind and how it will benefit you when you later come back to revise. You will be fresh and more energised and most importantly you will have taken a well-deserved break! Don't think that you are missing out from reading the next chapter or that your friends may be studying right this second, because, what is the point of studying when you will not absorb the information?
Everyone has their own way of studying, comparing yourself to others will not do you good.

I wish you the best of luck in your GCSEs, I know it is tough but you clearly have a lot of motivation and it is just about putting your mental health first and creating a better study plan.

Thanks for this.

I just want to point out I haven’t ran on 4 hours of sleep everyday. Just for 3 days at a time, twice.

I tend to sleep around 7 hours a day now, or even 8. It’s better.
Reply 8
Original post by amara<3
Hey. This sounds just like me a year ago and now I've achieved really good grades and close to achieving good grades at A-Levels and doing medicine at Uni. I know it might seem like the worst idea now but please take a break. It is still super early and you sound like you are definitely going to get super high grades but don't burn yourself out. Right now just be consistent with a couple hours a day and more in the weekends and build it up when you need to. Make to-do lists for the day instead of forcing yourself to revise for longer hours because working smarter not harder is definitely a thing. I used to spend hours making notes but what got me the grades were the past papers and sleep. If you need any advice I'm here to help because I've just gone through everything you went through and learnt so much from experience. Good luck, you can do it!!

You’re actually a legend !!

Thanks for this because it seems sometimes like nobody else can relate even though they try to dictate everything.

But how much did you revise in the Easter Holidays ?
Original post by lewis.h
Thats actually sick man !!

But if you did legacy GCSEs, it’s harder to say how “easy” they are. I mean to contextualise the increase in difficulty of the new exams, we have basically triple the content for each subject you did, with such higher difficulty ; the last question on one of the legacy GCSE maths exam was literally the 14th question out of a 27 question exam.

But you’ve still done amazing none the less. And also a 9 = an A**. An 8 = A*.

Nah I didn't do legacy, I was the first year to do the new spec for most the subjects in WJEC. So it was harder as there was only one specimen paper, but we did have the old ones but they were nothing compared to the real thing hahaha

Yea I still don't understand why they have 9's now, ours was only up to A* hehe
I was an idiot and thought GCSE's were not worth my time. I honestly don't know why I thought that tbh hahaha
Ans thanks <3

But at least you are putting the effort in :smile:

But good luck, and try not to go crazy on revision :wink:
This is just ridiculous. Most people can get good grades by revising a few weeks before. I did my GCSEs last year and started in Feb. I built it up throughout the weeks to give myself plenty of rest. I even went on holiday for a week over Easter and did NO revision.

I got five 9s, three 8s, and two 7s.
Reply 11
Original post by kurro
Nah I didn't do legacy, I was the first year to do the new spec for most the subjects in WJEC. So it was harder as there was only one specimen paper, but we did have the old ones but they were nothing compared to the real thing hahaha

Yea I still don't understand why they have 9's now, ours was only up to A* hehe
I was an idiot and thought GCSE's were not worth my time. I honestly don't know why I thought that tbh hahaha
Ans thanks <3

But at least you are putting the effort in :smile:

But good luck, and try not to go crazy on revision :wink:

Thanks !!
Get a new hobby
Original post by lewis.h
You’re actually a legend !!

Thanks for this because it seems sometimes like nobody else can relate even though they try to dictate everything.

But how much did you revise in the Easter Holidays ?

A lot. Maybe around 6 to 8 hours a day solely because I wasn't consistently revising earlier but if I started around now 2 hours everyday would have gotten me much further. I know how it feels when people tell you to stop working so hard but you feel like you have a lot to still do so follow your gut but don't underestimate what rest can do for you.

Aim on finishing your notes, then a ton of questions so you know your weak points then go over them on your notes. Also I'd say write out how many topics you want done each month then section it off to each week and each day so your always on top of where you feel like you should be. If you need any more advice don't hesitate to ask!
Original post by lewis.h
Thanks for this.

I just want to point out I haven’t ran on 4 hours of sleep everyday. Just for 3 days at a time, twice.

I tend to sleep around 7 hours a day now, or even 8. It’s better.

Okay that is good! Just make sure you are taking breaks, planning your revision reasonably and not overworking yourself. I wish you the best of luck! You can do it!
Original post by blueworld2378
This is just ridiculous. Most people can get good grades by revising a few weeks before. I did my GCSEs last year and started in Feb. I built it up throughout the weeks to give myself plenty of rest. I even went on holiday for a week over Easter and did NO revision.

I got five 9s, three 8s, and two 7s.

How did you revise method wise?
Reply 16
Wow what you’re doing is quite incredible, but I think you’re overdoing it a bit! For context I got 99999988A*A* at GCSE and I built revision up from January. If you continue your current state of studying then you’ll quickly burn out and then all that intense study won’t be worth it. GCSEs individually are not that taxing but when combined it’s when people become overwhelmed. Make sure to enjoy other aspects if your life don’t stay up ridiculously late or only get 4 hours of sleep, that’s definitely not worth it! As much as it seems risky, “chill” for the time being. Incorporate exercise and other productive activities into your daily routine, such as exercise, reading, computer games or whatever interests you. Don’t feel guilty spending time doing things that you’ll enjoy, as this will make you more productive when it comes to studying. During my schoo l years I’ve never really had friends anyway, and I was spending all day every day revising during April/May time that I became frankly sick of it and was so bored of revising during June.
It would help you to structure your revision periods properly - NO-ONE can work 100% focused for more than 45 mins (studies have illustrated this...) - so, for each hour you work, you should be structuring: 45 mins study, 15 mins break (short walk, surfing, ANYTHING other than academic study...)

A
Original post by matrix7200

They aren’t dumb. Unnecessary remark.
I'm impressed that you're doing so much work and have these ambitions, but honestly, I doubt it's needed. Are you doing past papers as a part of your revision? If you are, and you're consistently getting the grades you need, you just need to keep doing those and refreshing your memory of content - you don't need to hammer it.

Also, without meaning to put you off, GCSEs are much easier than most people build themselves up to think. If you genuinely need to do this much work for your GCSEs, you'll never cope with A Levels, as these take much more work and revision, along with independent study. I don't say that to be mean, just to help you think about what you really need to do. Are you on half term this week? I know all of the schools near me are. If you are, don't do anything at all. Just have a week off, and come back fresh to it after the holidays. There's still enough time to do really well even if you hadn't started revision - and obviously you've been hammering it, so a week isn't going to do any harm.

After the holidays you will feel much more refreshed, and you can put a better plan in place. I would suggest never doing more than about 3 hours after school and 5 hours at the weekend. Unless you are genuinely incredibly behind, taking care of yourself is preferable to hammering content that you're already quite comfortable with, and considering the amount of work you've been doing I fail to see how this couldn't be the case.

Quick Reply

Latest