The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should there be a high percentage? You can tell us you know :wink:
You should probably just not plagiarise :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
When you see a high percentage in turnitin. What do you do? Should I try and re word some words? Orr

I guess try reading as much you can and then try framing sentences with the ideas you have gained through reading. Never try to take the same content found and paste it in yours. Just take the ideas with you. I think that should help.
Reply 4
It’s a similarity rating. Nothing wrong with a high similarity depending on the work you are doing.
This isn’t the same as plagiarism, as that involves deliberately stealing someone else’s ideas.
you need to put it into your own words otherwise you'll get done for plagiarism
What's similar? If it's references and a few referenced quotes and phrases like in this essay I will be examining... then don't stress... if it's your actual content then try and rephrase a bit, did you copy it?
Reply 7
Original post by Bio 7
It’s a similarity rating. Nothing wrong with a high similarity depending on the work you are doing.
This isn’t the same as plagiarism, as that involves deliberately stealing someone else’s ideas.

I think I meant similarities. I usually read and understand what I’m trying to learn then I’ll write it. Ngl, I once got 72% similarity and then got a first (72%).
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
What's similar? If it's references and a few referenced quotes and phrases like in this essay I will be examining... then don't stress... if it's your actual content then try and rephrase a bit, did you copy it?

Yh it’s the quotes and stuff. I never copied it. I tried understanding what it was saying then I wrote in my own words. I haven’t finished from this assignment yet but I wanna kow what I should do if my plagiarism is high!
Reply 9
Original post by Sataris
Should there be a high percentage? You can tell us you know :wink:

No but for some reason I’ve always been getting extremely high similarities. I never got less than 30 before.
Yh it’s the quotes and stuff. I never copied it. I tried understanding what it was saying then I wrote in my own words. I haven’t finished from this assignment yet but I wanna kow what I should do if my plagiarism is high!

If the quotes are the cause of similarity, then as long as you referenced properly you're not at risk of plagiarism
Original post by Bio 7

Public health message: this is not all plagiarism is. It doesn't have to be deliberate. You can inadvertently plagiarise in several ways e.g. forgetting to include quotation marks, not citing sources properly, and not writing in your own words despite meaning to.
Original post by Sataris
If the quotes are the cause of similarity, then as long as you referenced properly you're not at risk of plagiarism

Possibly, but if I were to mark an essay where the majority was quotations, I would struggle to give it a good mark. I'm supposed to be reading the student's ideas not just long chunks of someone else's text.
Original post by chazwomaq
Public health message: this is not all plagiarism is. It doesn't have to be deliberate. You can inadvertently plagiarise in several ways e.g. forgetting to include quotation marks, not citing sources properly, and not writing in your own words despite meaning to.

My uni says we can’t quote sources and that we should write in our own words but cite and reference it
Yh it’s the quotes and stuff.

My uni says we can’t quote sources

Discuss.
Possibly, but if I were to mark an essay where the majority was quotations, I would struggle to give it a good mark. I'm supposed to be reading the student's ideas not just long chunks of someone else's text.

Yeah of course, I was just talking about the plagiarism angle
Discuss.

Oh 😂😂😂
We can’t but I need to use them so I can reference something but then change it into my own words if that makes any sense
Did you remember to "exclude quotes" and "exclude bibliography"?
Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it if you didn't copy and paste every single thing. I still managed to get 90% on a uni assignment that had like 38% similarity (which is not the same as plagiarism btw)
This really isn't anything to worry about, as the Turnitin plagiarism software simply recognises anything that's been submitted to your university before. This includes things like coursework cover sheets, quotes and candidate numbers, which you obviously haven't copied! If your essay is short, then you'll also get a higher similarity report because the percentage that things like cover sheets take up is much larger. I study English, and in my first year I had a 1,000 word essay which came back with about a 35-40% similarity report, purely because the cover sheet took up so much space in the essay! Now, in my third year, my 4K essays only ever get about a 16-20% similarity - it's all totally normal!!
When you see a high percentage in turnitin. What do you do? Should I try and re word some words? Orr

Hello, you can paraphrase/reword but always acknowledge sources to avoid being caught for plagiarism. Also, a ghostwriter can help you.

Latest

Trending

Trending