The Student Room Group

Four simple tests to check if Britain really has left the EU

Scroll to see replies

Original post by algol333
On the 29th March this year, there will be four simple tests that can be used to work out whether or not the government and parliament have implemented the referendum result and left the EU.

1. Does the UK still charge protectionist import taxes (tariffs) on non-EU imports and send the proceeds to Brussels?

2. Has the UK paid, or is it continuing to pay, money to the EU in return for trade?

3. Has the UK regained control of its fishing waters?

4. Is the UK still subject the European laws?

If the answer to 3 is no or the answer to 1,2 or 4 is yes, then the UK hasn't really left the EU.

As far as I am concerned as long as we don't sign a deal which ties us to paying into, abiding by rules and regulations set by a politically controlled body that we have no control over for the interest of itself and not for the interest of the UK, we have left. Everything else we can choose by elections within the UK as per democracy.

Democracy is the key word to me
Original post by Burton Bridge
I love how you quote you're perceived opinion as complete fact, when you know yourself it's based on incomplete and unreliable theories which are more or less impossible to of been logically thought out in any way.

No. It is not based on theory or guesswork. It is based firstly on the fact that on the day after the referendum, the pound lost 7% of its value in one day hitting a 31 year low
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/23/british-pound-given-boost-by-projected-remain-win-in-eu-referendum

Secondly, it based on the simple fact that following a hard Brexit, the high levels of uncertainty and risk will mean that the pound is not a very safe bet as investing in it is high risk. It is clear for most to see that the financial markets do not want a hard Brexit and do not like uncertainty or risk and if we were to leave in a disorderly way, I would bet you £100 that the pound loses more than 5% of its value against the Euro in a day. I am seriously considering whether it is worth changing my savings into foreign currency if a hard Brexit comes onto the cards.
Original post by ByEeek
No. It is not based on theory or guesswork. It is based firstly on the fact that on the day after the referendum, the pound lost 7% of its value in one day hitting a 31 year low
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/23/british-pound-given-boost-by-projected-remain-win-in-eu-referendum

Secondly, it based on the simple fact that following a hard Brexit, the high levels of uncertainty and risk will mean that the pound is not a very safe bet as investing in it is high risk. It is clear for most to see that the financial markets do not want a hard Brexit and do not like uncertainty or risk and if we were to leave in a disorderly way, I would bet you £100 that the pound loses more than 5% of its value against the Euro in a day. I am seriously considering whether it is worth changing my savings into foreign currency if a hard Brexit comes onto the cards.

Yes it is!. You can use these flawed arugements all you like but all you are actually doing is picking facts which flatter you're pretend version of reality. Saying 'that on the day after the referendum, the pound lost 7% of its value' is cherry picking statistics. I remember the Daily mail and Sky News doing the same thing on 2015 election night when It looked like we were heading for a hung parliament, but they twisted it to how businesses are likely to invest in a Tory government opposed to a Labour one! It's utter rubbish, all you are proving is market's don't like uncertainty, which is not in doubt and currently we could not be more uncertain.

I would advise you to be careful with your savings, making a 5% on investment on the stock market is relatively easy is you study the stock market, I do it regularly.
Original post by ByEeek

The pound rose in the weeks leading up to the referendum because of a gamble on it when it was thought remain would win so it was likely to drop at some point after regardless.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjS3NOVo8XgAhUKyoUKHTrLC_IQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.poundsterlinglive.com%2Fusd%2F4794-will-the-pound-increase-in-value-after-the-uk-referendum&psig=AOvVaw2EqUFhTu7CoFuVA43eDjVN&ust=1550579034519537
Reply 24

making a 5% on investment on the stock market is relatively easy is you study the stock market, I do it regularly.

Give us a tip for a 5% return in a week then.....?
Original post by Quady
Give us a tip for a 5% return in a week then.....?

Keep you're eye on the market, study the patterns and invest small amounts you can afford at first.

Regards the I think the Pound is currently kept low due to the indecision, whatever the outcome, Remember the Euro is currently in crisis will also be similarly affected by the outcome short term.

I suspect at most it'll be a couple of pence difference either way, so hopefully not enough to have a major impact on your dosh if it goes against you.

Always a gamble, but predicting say the exchange would be more of a guess and where my money will be going shortly
Reply 26
Keep you're eye on the market, study the patterns and invest small amounts you can afford at first.

Regards the I think the Pound is currently kept low due to the indecision, whatever the outcome, Remember the Euro is currently in crisis will also be similarly affected by the outcome short term.

I suspect at most it'll be a couple of pence difference either way, so hopefully not enough to have a major impact on your dosh if it goes against you.

Always a gamble, but predicting say the exchange would be more of a guess and where my money will be going shortly

Cool. When you posted (4-5pm):
£1:€1.165
£1: $1.325

So 5% apprection to €1.223 and/or $1.391

Game on.
Original post by Quady
Cool. When you posted (4-5pm):
£1:€1.165
£1: $1.325

So 5% apprection to €1.223 and/or $1.391

Game on.

It's a gamble mate, I look at it as a bit of fun.
Reply 28
It's a gamble mate, I look at it as a bit of fun.

So not 'relatively easy if you follow the market' then?
Might as well put it on no hard border to be introduced in Ireland in 2019 at 1/7 with Paddypower then. Or 1/9 for there not to be a hard Brexit in March '19...
Original post by Quady
So not 'relatively easy if you follow the market' then?
Might as well put it on no hard border to be introduced in Ireland in 2019 at 1/7 with Paddypower then. Or 1/9 for there not to be a hard Brexit in March '19...

Well I guess not, I may of used the wrong choice of words. It is not a difficult as you may think at the end of the day that's a profession to some it's a hobby to me so, go figure as to how good I am at it :biggrin:
Reply 30
Well I guess not, I may of used the wrong choice of words. It is not a difficult as you may think at the end of the day that's a profession to some it's a hobby to me so, go figure as to how good I am at it :biggrin:

£1:€1.162
£1: $1.315

So the pound weakened over the last week.

:P
Original post by Quady
£1:€1.162
£1: $1.315

So the pound weakened over the last week.

:P

I'm talking about leaving Europe, I've not placed any case yet. We have not left

Quick Reply

Latest