The Student Room Group

What grades have to be submitted on UCAS?

Hello.

I just had a few questions regarding grades and UCAS.

1) What grades have to be declared? Is it the grades that I receive on results day (23rd August) or the grades on my certificates I receive a few months later?

2) If I receive an X grade- (meaning I did not attend for 50% or more of the modules) will that be on the results sheet given on August 23rd?

3) Do I have to declare an X grade on UCAS?

4) Let's say I recieve an offer from Cambridge. When they ask for proof of qualifications, do I send them all my certificates or my results sheet I receive on August 23rd?

Thanks for answering my questions and helping me guys x

Scroll to see replies

It includes all results previous, sitting and future and if asked you send all copies of certificates
Reply 2
Original post by Bluebells602003
It includes all results previous, sitting and future and if asked you send all copies of certificates

Ah, that's fine then, because if you get an X in a subject you don't receive a certificate for the subject since you never officially sat the exam, so I would not have to declare the X grade.
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
Original post by s.m999

1) What grades have to be declared? Is it the grades that I receive on results day (23rd August) or the grades on my certificates I receive a few months later?

Why would they be different? If you get a remark then you declare the remarked grades.

4) Let's say I recieve an offer from Cambridge. When they ask for proof of qualifications, do I send them all my certificates or my results sheet I receive on August 23rd?

Your certificates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
Why would they be different? If you get a remark then you declare the remarked grades.

Your certificates

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok, thanks! That's perfect then, because if I get an X in a subject I don't receive a certificate for that subject since you never officially sat the exam, so I would not have to declare the X grade on UCAS! Perfect. Thanks. :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by s.m999
Oh ok, thanks! That's perfect then, because if I get an X in a subject I don't receive a certificate for that subject since you never officially sat the exam, so I would not have to declare the X grade on UCAS! Perfect. Thanks. :tongue:

Is this a GCSE or an AS-level, or?

You should declare all grades. It's up to the universities to decide if it's material or not.
Reply 7
Is this a GCSE or an AS-level, or?

You should declare all grades. It's up to the universities to decide if it's material or not.

It's a GCSE.

But I called UCAS and they said I don't need to declare X grades, as you don't get a certificate for it.

But I was just curious (not for me just generally) isn't that exploitable? Let's say you get all A*'s bar one subject you think you might get a C in. Can't you just not turn up, get an X and then you don't need to declare it and essentially you have a clean sweep of A*'s- I mean, you don't even get a certificate for it. :confused:
Reply 8
Original post by s.m999
It's a GCSE.

But I called UCAS and they said I don't need to declare X grades, as you don't get a certificate for it.

But I was just curious (not for me just generally) isn't that exploitable? Let's say you get all A*'s bar one subject you think you might get a C in. Can't you just not turn up, get an X and then you don't need to declare it and essentially you have a clean sweep of A*'s- I mean, you don't even get a certificate for it. :confused:

Universities aren't that worried by one C out of 10+. Even Oxbridge...

However, you should declare all grades.
Original post by s.m999
It's a GCSE.

Is it you again and your language GCSE? Seriously, just take it.
Reply 10
Universities aren't that worried by one C out of 10+. Even Oxbridge...

However, you should declare all grades.

I know, but I don't need to declare it. So there's no point declaring an X grade.
Reply 11
Original post by blueworld2378
Is it you again and your language GCSE? Seriously, just take it.

I have decided what I am going to do now. Thank you.
Original post by s.m999
It's a GCSE.

Did you get the name and job title of the person who told you that? Because it's wrong - the UCAS Declaration is clear that you must declare ALL grades including failures. X and U are grades even if they don't result in a certificate. If you get a results grade on a results slip from an exam board then the result MUST be declared. This isn't a get out or a loophole - it's not turning up to an exam and then fraudulently claiming that you didn't get entered for that exam. Just sit the exam - no university will give a **** about one lower grade.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
Did you get the name and job title of the person who told you that? Because it's wrong - the UCAS Declaration is clear that you must declare ALL grades including failures. X and U are grades even if they don't result in a certificate. If you get a results grade on a results slip from an exam board then the result MUST be declared. This isn't a get out or a loophole - it's not turning up to an exam and then fraudulently claiming that you didn't get entered for that exam. Just sit the exam - no university will give a **** about one lower grade.

Where does it say this on the internet?

Because the UCAS representative said if you receive an X grade you will not receive a certificate for the grade.

And you put the exams and grades on the certificates on UCAS.
Reply 14
Original post by s.m999

Because the UCAS representative said if you receive an X grade you will not receive a certificate for the grade.

https://www.ucas.com/about-us/policies/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-undergraduate-declaration

If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:

left out any relevant information, including qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results

given false or misleading information

We may take any necessary steps to check with you and other parties, including universities, colleges and examination and awarding bodies whether the information you have provided is accurate or complete.
We have the right to cancel your application without refunding your application fee if we determine (having carried out any necessary checks), or have reasonable belief, that your application contains false information.

If you have any reason to believe that information we hold about you is not true, complete and accurate, you must tell us.

If we need to verify your identity, we may use details in your application by making checks using any official, publicly available or commercially available identity checking services. If any adverse information is revealed about you we will let you know so that you have an opportunity to respond.
Show up to your exam. I’ve seen kids who didn’t show up to the paper get a U instead - I’ve never seen an ‘X Grade’ in my life. Don’t be silly about getting a C. If you’re struggling with that GCSE then work and revise for it! You’re trying to apply high under false pretences.
Reply 16
https://www.ucas.com/about-us/policies/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-undergraduate-declaration

If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:

left out any relevant information, including qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results

given false or misleading information

We may take any necessary steps to check with you and other parties, including universities, colleges and examination and awarding bodies whether the information you have provided is accurate or complete.
We have the right to cancel your application without refunding your application fee if we determine (having carried out any necessary checks), or have reasonable belief, that your application contains false information.

If you have any reason to believe that information we hold about you is not true, complete and accurate, you must tell us.

If we need to verify your identity, we may use details in your application by making checks using any official, publicly available or commercially available identity checking services. If any adverse information is revealed about you we will let you know so that you have an opportunity to respond.

Ah ok thanks, but doesn't 'unsuccessful grade' refer to 4 or below or a U. An X means I haven't even sat the exam, so effectively I haven't taken it?
Original post by s.m999
Ah ok thanks, but doesn't 'unsuccessful grade' refer to 4 or below or a U. An X means I haven't even sat the exam, so effectively I haven't taken it?

If you spent this long trying to improve in whatever subject you want to hide, rather than trying to get out of doing it, you'd be at a grade 7 by now.
Original post by s.m999

Did you get the name and job title of the person who told you this? UCAS employ a lot of people on their phone lines who give out poor or incorrect advice.

https://www.ucas.com/about-us/policies/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-undergraduate-declaration is the declaration you agree to when submitting your application:
"We will ask you to confirm your agreement by ticking a box in the Pay/Send section of your application. By ticking this box, we will consider that you accept the terms of the declaration set out below"...
"If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:
"* left out any relevant information, including qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results
"* given false or misleading information
"We may take any necessary steps to check with you and other parties, including universities, colleges and examination and awarding bodies whether the information you have provided is accurate or complete.
"We have the right to cancel your application without refunding your application fee if we determine (having carried out any necessary checks), or have reasonable belief, that your application contains false information."

An X grade will be recorded on your Personal Learning Record https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-access-your-personal-learning-record
Original post by s.m999

No

An X is an unsuccessful grade. If you're entered into the exam and get a result then you have COMPLETED that qualification - even if you don't get a certificate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending