The Student Room Group

Markov Chain

cn c_n is the cumulative number of rolls of a die up to time n, with state space {0,1,2,...}.
c0=0 c_0 = 0.

I need to find out the probability that 9 or 10 get mentioned (in all the different paths).

So I started thinking about the no. of ways 9 can get mentioned for up to 9 rolls. I.e. number of ways in 9 rolls is 9, in 8 rolls is 8, I'm not sure how to carry this process on and find a succinct way of working it out.
Original post by NotNotBatman
cn c_n is the cumulative number of rolls of a die up to time n, with state space {0,1,2,...}.
c0=0 c_0 = 0.

I need to find out the probability that 9 or 10 get mentioned (in all the different paths).

So I started thinking about the no. of ways 9 can get mentioned for up to 9 rolls. I.e. number of ways in 9 rolls is 9, in 8 rolls is 8, I'm not sure how to carry this process on and find a succinct way of working it out.

As no one else has responded:

May not be able to help, but as it stands I can't even follow your question.

It reads to me as if you roll a die (presumably standard 6-sided), and the cumulative number of rolls up to time n, is simply n rolls. I doubt that's what you intend, but it's the only way I can interpret what you'lve written.

Then you talk about number of ways 9 can get mentioned. What does "9 gets mentioned" mean?
Original post by ghostwalker
As no one else has responded:

May not be able to help, but as it stands I can't even follow your question.

It reads to me as if you roll a die (presumably standard 6-sided), and the cumulative number of rolls up to time n, is simply n rolls. I doubt that's what you intend, but it's the only way I can interpret what you'lve written.

Then you talk about number of ways 9 can get mentioned. What does "9 gets mentioned" mean?

cn c_n is the cumulative score, of rolls up to time n.

So if we have paths of cumulative scores cn(ωi)c_n(\omega_i), for instance I've considered, the path
c1(ω1)=1,c2(ω1)=2,c3(ω1)=3,c9(ω1)=9, c_1(\omega_1) =1, c_2(\omega_1) =2, c_3(\omega_1) =3, \cdots c_9(\omega_1)=9, \cdots that is, getting a score of 1, for the first 9 rolls, then after that it doesn't matter. I'm trying to work out the probability of 9 or 10 appears in any path ωi \omega_i (the different ways the scores can appear)
I know that at least two rolls are required. that is c1(ωi)=6 c_1(\omega_i) = 6 followed by c1(ωi)=3c_1(\omega_i) = 3 or the other way around, for some path ωi \omega_i
cn c_n is the cumulative score, of rolls up to time n.

So if we have paths of cumulative scores cn(ωi)c_n(\omega_i), for instance I've considered, the path
c1(ω1)=1,c2(ω1)=2,c3(ω1)=3,c9(ω1)=9, c_1(\omega_1) =1, c_2(\omega_1) =2, c_3(\omega_1) =3, \cdots c_9(\omega_1)=9, \cdots that is, getting a score of 1, for the first 9 rolls, then after that it doesn't matter. I'm trying to work out the probability of 9 or 10 appears in any path ωi \omega_i (the different ways the scores can appear)
I know that at least two rolls are required. that is c1(ωi)=6 c_1(\omega_i) = 6 followed by c1(ωi)=3c_1(\omega_i) = 3 or the other way around, for some path ωi \omega_i

Can't see a particularly easy way to do it. Matlab would help.

If you're going to do it via transition matrices, then:

Since you're not interested in anything greater than 10, your states could be {0,1,...,9,10,>10}

Then the probability would be the sum of the third & second to last two elements of the state vector, from:

(T9+T8+...T)(1,0,...0)T(T^9+T^8+... T)(1,0,...0)^T or the other way around - vaguely recall there was something different about Markov transition matrices

But you'll need to adjust for getting 9 at stage n and 10 at stage n+1, as these would be double counted.

Don't know if that's any use to use,...
(edited 5 years ago)
Can't see a particularly easy way to do it. Matlab would help.

If you're going to do it via transition matrices, then:

Since you're not interested in anything greater than 10, your states could be {0,1,...,9,10,>10}

Then the probability would be the sum of the third & second to last two elements of the state vector, from:

(T9+T8+...T)(1,0,...0)T(T^9+T^8+... T)(1,0,...0)^T or the other way around - vaguely recall there was something different about Markov transition matrices

But you'll need to adjust for getting 9 at stage n and 10 at stage n+1, as these would be double counted.

Don't know if that's any use to use,...

My knowledge of Markov chains is very much "practical" (as in ways to solve maths puzzles and similar rather than theoretial), but I think you can do a little better here.

Make the states 0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 8 (as before), and then "got 9 or 10" and then "skipped 9 or 10" (which you might as well still call > 10). So "9 or 10" and ">10" are both 'stuck states' (is the formal term absorbing?) (i.e. p(9 or 10 -> 9 or 10) = p(>10 -> >10) = 1). Building the transition matrix M is going to be a little tedious, but your final result will just be the "9 or 10" element of M^10 (1 0 0 0 ... 0)^T.
Original post by DFranklin
My knowledge of Markov chains is very much "practical" (as in ways to solve maths puzzles and similar rather than theoretial), but I think you can do a little better here.

Make the states 0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 8 (as before), and then "got 9 or 10" and then "skipped 9 or 10" (which you might as well still call > 10). So "9 or 10" and ">10" are both 'stuck states' (is the formal term absorbing?) (i.e. p(9 or 10 -> 9 or 10) = p(>10 -> >10) = 1). Building the transition matrix M is going to be a little tedious, but your final result will just be the "9 or 10" element of M^10 (1 0 0 0 ... 0)^T.

Indeed, somewhat better, completely avoiding the fiddly double counting and summation. PRSOM.
c0=0 c_0 = 0.

Tricky little question this, if you're to avoid awkward algebra. One of the wrinkles here is that if you start counting trajectories that include your targets 9 or 10, then it's not entirely clear what the denominator should be to get a probability. So, I'd calculate probabilities directly using a decomposition of the problem. I'll outline a simpler version and leave the rest to you!

The probability of the chain ever hitting 9 is just the sum of the probabilities of hitting 9 after exactly n throws, for n = 1 though to infinity. But most of these terms are zero, and we're left with the sum from 2 to 9. So, calculate (or just look up)

(i) The probability of landing on 9 in exactly 2 throws.
(ii) The probability of landing on 9 in exactly 3 throws.
(iii) etc.

Then add them up.
Original post by Gregorius
Tricky little question this, if you're to avoid awkward algebra. One of the wrinkles here is that if you start counting trajectories that include your targets 9 or 10, then it's not entirely clear what the denominator should be to get a probability. So, I'd calculate probabilities directly using a decomposition of the problem. I'll outline a simpler version and leave the rest to you!

The probability of the chain ever hitting 9 is just the sum of the probabilities of hitting 9 after exactly n throws, for n = 1 though to infinity. But most of these terms are zero, and we're left with the sum from 2 to 9. So, calculate (or just look up)

(i) The probability of landing on 9 in exactly 2 throws.
(ii) The probability of landing on 9 in exactly 3 throws.
(iii) etc.

Then add them up.

I have to admit, I'm not seeing a pleasant way of calculating, say, the probability of landing on 9 in exactly 5 throws.
I'm not sure how to carry this process on and find a succinct way of working it out.

OK, so I've actually done this (with computer), and I actually think this is fairly doable by hand.

Suppose after n throws, we have a0,a1,...,a8,a9,a9+10,a>10a_0, a_1, ..., a_8, a_9, a_{9+10}, a_{>10} as the number of ways of being in each state (states as described in previous post). And suppose we want to find b0,...,b>10b_0, ..., b_{>10} as the number of ways (*) for each state after n+1 throws. (*) Note that we will throw even if in a "stuck" state, so our "way counting" reflects the correct probability.

Then b0=0b_0 = 0
b1=a0,b_1 = a_0,
b2=a1+a2b_2 = a_1+a_2
b7=a1+a2+...+a6b_7 = a_1+a_2+...+a_6,
b8=a2+a3+....+a7b_8 = a_2 + a_3 + .... + a_7,
b9+10=(a3+...+a8)+(a4+...+a8)+6b9+10b_{9+10} = (a_3+...+a_8) + (a_4+...+a_8) + 6b_{9+10}. (Note the multiply by 6 which corresponds to (*)).

The key observation here is that most of these values can be found incrementally from the one before. e.g. b3=b2+a2b_3 = b_2 + a_2, b7=b6+a7b_7 = b_6 + a_7, b8=b7+a8a1b_8 = b_7 + a_8 - a_1 etc.

So on average, it turns out only need to do about 1 operation to calculate each element in the next state vector (particularly given after k tosses the first k values in the vector are 0). So you just repeat this process until everything is in a stuck state.

Note that the formula for b>10b_{>10} is significantly different from the others, and somewhat messier. If you are confident you have done everything correctly, note that you don't actually need this value: it's not needed to calculate the next state vector, and since the sum of all the b_i (after n+1) throws must add up to 6n+16^{n+1} you can use this to calculate it at the end.

For a check, the answer I get is 0.477 to 3dp (edit: sorry, that's the probability of overshooting. So 1-0.477 would be the probability you actually want).
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm not 100% sure about this, but if you let P(n) be the probability that n appears at some stage in the chain, then you can condition on the first roll to deduce P(n)=P(n1)++P(n6)6P(n)=\frac{P(n-1)+\dots+P(n-6)}{6} . You could work out P(1),,P(5)P(1),\dots,P(5) by hand and use this recurrence to find P(9), P(10). Then P(9 or 10)=P(9)+P(10)-P(9 and 10)=P(9)+P(10)-P(9)/6.

Edit: I think this is wrong sadly. Even conditioning on the first roll being a 3, P[103 appears] is not the same thing as P[100 appears], because the 3 would need to occur exactly after getting a score of 100. You could instead let P(n,m) be the probability of getting a score of n in m rolls, so that P[n,m]=(1/6)P[n-1,m-1]+...+P[n-6,m-1] but this too looks a bit messy.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have to admit, I'm not seeing a pleasant way of calculating, say, the probability of landing on 9 in exactly 5 throws.

It's one of those standard tortures about generating functions for undergraduates in advanced elementary probability theory! See here for the details.
It's one of those standard tortures about generating functions for undergraduates in advanced elementary probability theory! See here for the details.

Not to flog a dead horse, but it seems that page pretty much wimps out on doing any calculations with more than 4 dice (the most likely roll for n dice is fairly obvious by symmetry anyhow).

If I *had* to find "the probability of landing on 9 in exactly 5 throws", I'd definitely do it by the same "run the recurrence relationship 5 (*) times" method I've described earlier.

(*) actually 4, as we might as well start with the vector (1,1,1,1,1,1, 0, 0, 0).
Using your initial transition matrix method, I get the same - 0.523 (3 dec.pl), or 52...2269\dfrac{52...22}{6^9}

Agreed (I just didn't want to give away the exact answer).
Not to flog a dead horse, but it seems that page pretty much wimps out on doing any calculations with more than 4 dice (the most likely roll for n dice is fairly obvious by symmetry anyhow).

The formula wanted is the one for "c" (probability of scoring p, throwing n s-sided dice), just a few lines into the working. It ends up being a simple calculation.
The formula wanted is the one for "c" (probability of scoring p, throwing n s-sided dice), just a few lines into the working. It ends up being a simple calculation.

Cheers - I had somewhat skimmed and the line at the end of the page: "Unfortunately, P(p_L,n,s) does not have a simple closed-form expression" somewhat misled me. And the expression for c isn't *that* simple to actually calculate.

Quick Reply

Latest