The Student Room Group

Car insurance quote - loophole or actual benefit?

So, I did my driving licence back in November last year. When I did my license I knew I will not be driving for at least another year or maybe longer, but I will need eventually (personal circumstances tl;dr)

So anyway. I went on the quote website confused.com where you compare car insurances and I noticed something very odd.

I filled all the details as needed and in the option that asked you how long you got your licence for I put 3 months which is now. The quote I received was £1200 for the car I want, the lowest insurance.

Now I did another quote for exactly the same car and the same details only I have changed the detail where I been asked how long I had my licence for, and I changed it to 12 months. And guess what. Insurance dropped by £100. So then I did the same thing for 3 and 5 years scenarios. and For 5 years I had £750.

Of course in the question where they ask you about claim bonuses, convictions and accidents I put none, because I didn't drive. But still find it odd for my insurance to drop.

What you guys think about this? Shouldn't they ask for driving experience as well?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
You've held your licence longer so your premiums dropped? That's obvious, what's the problem with this.

Driving experience is gathered by your NCB and previous claims
Original post by Panmisiek
So, I did my driving licence back in November last year. When I did my license I knew I will not be driving for at least another year or maybe longer, but I will need eventually (personal circumstances tl;dr)

So anyway. I went on the quote website confused.com where you compare car insurances and I noticed something very odd.

I filled all the details as needed and in the option that asked you how long you got your licence for I put 3 months which is now. The quote I received was £1200 for the car I want, the lowest insurance.

Now I did another quote for exactly the same car and the same details only I have changed the detail where I been asked how long I had my licence for, and I changed it to 12 months. And guess what. Insurance dropped by £100. So then I did the same thing for 3 and 5 years scenarios. and For 5 years I had £750.

Of course in the question where they ask you about claim bonuses, convictions and accidents I put none, because I didn't drive. But still find it odd for my insurance to drop.

What you guys think about this? Shouldn't they ask for driving experience as well?

They only ever ask how long you have held your license, how many years no claims you have, whether you have ever made a claim and possibly whether you have ever had insurance cover declined.
Reply 3

Well, they probably have data that suggests drivers who have held a license for longer generally have fewer claims, so they are a lower risk and therefore carry lower premiums. Driving experience is a lot harder to verify than how long you've held a license for. Ideally they should consider driving experience more heavily, but there's no viable way of proving it unless you've had a black box for the past few years.
Having years of NCB will play a bigger part than simply how long you've held a licence for in getting a lower premium. That will be their most reliable measure of driving experience. It's not really a loophole, as you have to be honest about how long you've held a licence for. If they do check this and find you were lying, that's grounds to void your insurance and could be insurance fraud.
Reply 5
Original post by julietlima3
Having years of NCB will play a bigger part than simply how long you've held a licence for in getting a lower premium. That will be their most reliable measure of driving experience. It's not really a loophole, as you have to be honest about how long you've held a licence for. If they do check this and find you were lying, that's grounds to void your insurance and could be insurance fraud.

My point was, even if you did your license 10 years ago and didnt drive at ALL since then, you still have lower premiums than someone who just passed. Do you get me?
Reply 6
Original post by Hissing Sid
They only ever ask how long you have held your license, how many years no claims you have, whether you have ever made a claim and possibly whether you have ever had insurance cover declined.

Holding license and actually driving are 2 different things my friend. And this is what I am questioning here.
My point was, even if you did your license 10 years ago and didnt drive at ALL since then, you still have lower premiums than someone who just passed. Do you get me?

Yes I get you. It makes sense though, insurance companies have few ways of measuring driver experience. No claims bonuses can expire if there was a year without driving. So they make the assumption that in general, someone who has held a licence for longer, will be more experienced than someone who just passed.
Reply 8
Original post by notdyls
Well, they probably have data that suggests drivers who have held a license for longer generally have fewer claims, so they are a lower risk and therefore carry lower premiums. Driving experience is a lot harder to verify than how long you've held a license for. Ideally they should consider driving experience more heavily, but there's no viable way of proving it unless you've had a black box for the past few years.

Thats what I thought. Either way if I buy my first car next year I will pay less insurance than if I bought car now.
Reply 9

I'm confused.. why would you put 5 years if you only got your licence in November? That's not a loophole; that's fraud.
Original post by IWMTom
I'm confused.. why would you put 5 years if you only got your licence in November? That's not a loophole; that's fraud.

Sounds like he was just being curious about how insurance premiums are calculated. He did say that he probably won't be driving for at least a year.
Thats what I thought. Either way if I buy my first car next year I will pay less insurance than if I bought car now.

This is completely the wrong way of thinking and is what everyone assumes. Premiums may go up or down, there's no way of predicting at all. You can't get a quote for a years time now, as it won't be the same quote as it will when you take it out in a years time.
Longer you drive (especially if you don't smash or kill someone), the less high risk you are.
The question of driving experience is vaguely covered by your NCB.

I agree it's a bit silly that you can get your licence, not drive for say 5 years and come out to lower premiums despite never actually driving since your driving test.

It's kinda hard to verify driving experience really. How can you actually verify the mileage someone has done? Go by the mileage reports on MOT certs? But what about miles racked up in other vehicles? What if you're a HGV driver? You can be looking at 50,000 -100,000 miles a year right there. What about experience with other vehicles such as MHE (PPTs, Forklifts, etc... (More experience in tighter areas, theoretically less likely to have a low-speed shunt in a car park for example))? They don't usually record mileage, only hours.

It's just not practical to verify that sort of thing, so they assume that you've been driving the duration you've had your licence. That's where questions about NCBs, driving offences and accidents come in.
Original post by TheMcSame
The question of driving experience is vaguely covered by your NCB.

I agree it's a bit silly that you can get your licence, not drive for say 5 years and come out to lower premiums despite never actually driving since your driving test.

Makes sense to me really, I suspect the 'discount' you get for having a licence for x years is pretty insignificant to the comparable NCB that has to be earned, the NCB does seem to relate 'more or less' to driving exp so I can only assume the other side of the coin applies to risk.

Like I started driving late 17 in my mid 30's, right off the bat I pay a LOT less for insurance (none of this black box/2-3k crap), i've got the exact same driving experience as a 17 year old but it's assumed i'm more risk adverse and responsible in general, also that I have a LOT more general road/traffic experience so I'm seen as a lower risk.

Ditto If I pass my test, then don't drive for 3 months and my license sits there in it's envelope, If I go to insure my car I say i've had my licence 3 months with no issues, which takes me straight out the risk category of 'People who crash/get done for speeding as soon as they pass' - In my case I was insured for 3 months then stopped for a bit then took out a new policy with a substantial reduction in my quotes , and the only differences were i'd now had my licence 3 months instead of 0 months (and was insuring a newer more powerful car)
Original post by StriderHort
Makes sense to me really, I suspect the 'discount' you get for having a licence for x years is pretty insignificant to the comparable NCB that has to be earned, the NCB does seem to relate 'more or less' to driving exp so I can only assume the other side of the coin applies to risk.

Like I started driving late 17 in my mid 30's, right off the bat I pay a LOT less for insurance (none of this black box/2-3k crap), i've got the exact same driving experience as a 17 year old but it's assumed i'm more risk adverse and responsible in general, also that I have a LOT more general road/traffic experience so I'm seen as a lower risk.

Ditto If I pass my test, then don't drive for 3 months and my license sits there in it's envelope, If I go to insure my car I say i've had my licence 3 months with no issues, which takes me straight out the risk category of 'People who crash/get done for speeding as soon as they pass' - In my case I was insured for 3 months then stopped for a bit then took out a new policy with a substantial reduction in my quotes , and the only differences were i'd now had my licence 3 months instead of 0 months (and was insuring a newer more powerful car)

Age is also a significant factor, in my experience 21 and 25 were two big insurance milestones for me, where I saw my premiums drop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending