The Student Room Group

Driving test Minors - Majors

Hi i'm a little confused with my driving result
here it goes

12 control:

steering 1 total

19 follow distance 2 total = serious fault (I thought it was like 3 or 4 that makes a serious fault)

21 junctions:
observation 1 total

26 Awareness / planning 1 total

total faults 5

Is this a fail?

I also believed I kept good distance as I am always very cautious and to be honest I hate driving near cars but I was apparently too close to a skip transporter when there was enough space to fit 2 - 3 cars in
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CalAx
here it goes

12 control:

steering 1 total

19 follow distance 2 total = serious fault (I thought it was like 3 or 4 that makes a serious fault)

21 junctions:
observation 1 total

total faults 5

Is this a fail?

I also believed I kept good distance as I am always very cautious and to be honest I hate driving near cars but I was apparently too close to a skip transporter when there was enough space to fit 2 - 3 cars in

The examiner determines whether it's a serious fault or not - there is no threshold.
Original post by CalAx
here it goes

12 control:

steering 1 total

21 junctions:
observation 1 total

total faults 5

Is this a fail?

1 serious fault = fail.

More than 15 minor faults = fail
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
The examiner determines whether it's a serious fault or not - there is no threshold.

Is there anyway I could do anything about it? as I believe it was an over reaction - before the test he had a bit of a negative view on the car I was in and did have quite a bit of an attitude :/
Reply 4
Original post by RoyalSheepy
1 serious fault = fail.

More than 15 minor faults = fail

But I would've though that 3-4 faults on something that a minor would become a serious fault not two minors, especially on the same vehicle which only lasted like a mile distance and after being told that I a little close I dropped back
Reply 5
Original post by CalAx
Is there anyway I could do anything about it? as I believe it was an over reaction - before the test he had a bit of a negative view on the car I was in and did have quite a bit of an attitude :/

Nope. Live and learn.
Original post by CalAx
But I would've though that 3-4 faults on something that a minor would become a serious fault not two minors, especially on the same vehicle which only lasted like a mile distance and after being told that I a little close I dropped back

There's no minimum amount of minor faults needed in order for it to be a serious. It's all up to the driving examiner.

If you disagree, you can appeal. But I can guarantee you'll get no-where doing that, as it'll be your word against theirs.
Original post by CalAx
here it goes

12 control:

steering 1 total

21 junctions:
observation 1 total

total faults 5

Is this a fail?

Was it a narrow road or were you overtaking the skip transporter? There’s nothing you can do now. The decision is final.
Reply 8
Original post by RoyalSheepy
There's no minimum amount of minor faults needed in order for it to be a serious. It's all up to the driving examiner.

If you disagree, you can appeal. But I can guarantee you'll get no-where doing that, as it'll be your word against theirs.

Where would I go for an appeal? Maybe next time I should get a dash cam
Reply 9
Original post by Bubblylibra
Was it a narrow road or were you overtaking the skip transporter? There’s nothing you can do now. The decision is final.

It was a duel carriage way and I was not overtaking it and I didn't feel the need to as a roundabout was coming up, I was keeping my distance from it at good speed, there was also a car that went in between us and I still had good distance from the vehicles with good speed
Original post by CalAx

Idk where to appeal but just to let you know that the determination of the fail is final. If the appeal results in your favour you’d just get your next test free.
Reply 11
Original post by Student1191
Idk where to appeal but just to let you know that the determination of the fail is final. If the appeal results in your favour you’d just get your next test free.

To be honest a free test would be better then paying another £62 when we have very little money
Reply 12
Original post by CalAx

Appealing is useless - last statistics I saw was close to 100% appeals get rejected.

Failing to own up to your shortcomings is not a mature way to deal with the problem. Learn from it and move on.
Reply 13
I already paid for another one which will be in like 2 months so Unless I keep checking for anyone who cancelled sooner I can't do anything then
Original post by CalAx
To be honest a free test would be better then paying another £62 when we have very little money

The appeal is for whether or not the test was conducted correctly. Not if you disagree with the examiners decision or not.
Original post by CalAx
I already paid for another one which will be in like 2 months so Unless I keep checking for anyone who cancelled sooner I can't do anything then

You can get cancellation bots that can text or email you when closer dates become available. They’re very useful
Reply 16
Original post by Student1191
You can get cancellation bots that can text or email you when closer dates become available. They’re very useful

Is it already there or do I have to have something that tells me that?
Original post by CalAx
It was a duel carriage way and I was not overtaking it and I didn't feel the need to as a roundabout was coming up, I was keeping my distance from it at good speed, there was also a car that went in between us and I still had good distance from the vehicles with good speed

Dual carriage ok. So what was the speed limit on that specific one? To be honest I keep a greater distance than 2/3 car lengths on a dual carriageway when driving behind a tall vehicle as I can’t see what’s ahead. Remember that it takes longer for a large vehicle to stop if anything happens, hence why you should keep good distance.

I wouldn’t appeal. Even if you get a dash cam that won’t change anything. Examiners are not there to fail you intentionally... they actually have a lot of paperwork to do when they fail you.
(edited 5 years ago)
If the door is open, and someone is standing next to it, and you would hit them if that actually was the case or they'd have to breathe in or move, you're deemed too close which yes, is a ridiculous concept down many roads but welcome to the test.
If you were following far too closely then it's going to be a serious. If it was a tad too closely but not dangerous, then it'd have been a minor.

Original post by CalAx

Not unless you can prove that the test was not carried out according to the DSA rules, which you most likely can't do. So no, just have to learn by your mistakes and not follow so closely next time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending