The Student Room Group

Foundation to Health and Veterinary Studies (Year 0)

Hello 🙂 this year I will be applying to Liverpool university for their year zero veterinary science programme. I currently work at an equine sanctuary, I have some lambing coming up and a few weeks experience in a veterinary practice. Is there anything else I should do this year? Any tips about how to get an interview or just help in general towards applying for the course.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aimee.sharples
Hello 🙂 this year I will be applying to Liverpool university for their year zero veterinary science programme. I currently work at an equine sanctuary, I have some lambing coming up and a few weeks experience in a veterinary practice. Is there anything else I should do this year? Any tips about how to get an interview or just help in general towards applying for the course.
Thanks

Learn their application policy and follow it precisely. It does you no harm to exceed.
Looking at the page it says 3 weeks husbandry and 2 weeks vet practice min.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/veterinary-science/undergraduate/prospective-applicants/
Hi, thanks for your feedback. It’s not quiet the correct course and so the work experience isn’t the same-

Veterinary Science candidates
Must have undertaken a minimum of 2 weeks work experience, to include: 1 weeks work experience in a Veterinary Practice and 1 week on a commercial farm/stables/kennels or cattery.

This is their wording exactly. I’ve also got experience in kennels, doggy day care centres, working with farriers, equine dentists and other veterinary clinics so I’m not too worried about the experience as I can still bump that up even more in the year, just curious if there is anything else I should be doing in the meantime. Thanks for the reply 🙂 much appreciated
Original post by aimee.sharples
Hi, thanks for your feedback. It’s not quiet the correct course and so the work experience isn’t the same-

Veterinary Science candidates
Must have undertaken a minimum of 2 weeks work experience, to include: 1 weeks work experience in a Veterinary Practice and 1 week on a commercial farm/stables/kennels or cattery.

This is their wording exactly. I’ve also got experience in kennels, doggy day care centres, working with farriers, equine dentists and other veterinary clinics so I’m not too worried about the experience as I can still bump that up even more in the year, just curious if there is anything else I should be doing in the meantime. Thanks for the reply 🙂 much appreciated

Exactly what you are doing, just grabbing any opportunity to get a variety of experience however small and then come September go to the open days where you will be able to get more information on actually applying etc etc
Good luck
Carol xxx
Has anyone received any feedback for the health and vet studies for medicine?
(Original post by Jaaydaniiels)Has anyone received any feedback for the health and vet studies for medicine?

On the information sheet I received at the open day last year it says short-listing for interviews March 2019 not sure if that is the same time-frame for all the different ones :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by G1ng3r3006
(Original post by Jaaydaniiels)Has anyone received any feedback for the health and vet studies for medicine?

On the information sheet I received at the open day last year it says short-listing for interviews March 2019 not sure if that is the same time-frame for all the different ones :smile:

Hi, yeah I know when the interview dates are, I'm asking has anyone received a rejection or acceptance to interview yet?
Original post by Jaaydaniiels
Hi, yeah I know when the interview dates are, I'm asking has anyone received a rejection or acceptance to interview yet?

it says shortlisting for the interviews in March not when the interviews are being conducted.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
I received an invite for an interview for the Liverpool Year 0 Veterinary Science on the 18th Feb. The interview will take place at the end of March. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by mariemc1
I received an invite for an interview for the Liverpool Year 0 Veterinary Science on the 18th Feb. The interview will take place at the end of March. Hope this helps :smile:

Hi
What time is your interview? mine is 13.25. Will you be going on the Campus tour afterwards? x
Hey :smile:

First of all congrats! Mine is at 12:45, and yep I'm going to do the campus tour afterwards because I think I missed it on the open day. Maybe I'll see you then! x
Thank you and to you too x Oooh definitely, and good luck fingers crossed for us both :smile: xxxx
Original post by mariemc1
Hey :smile:

First of all congrats! Mine is at 12:45, and yep I'm going to do the campus tour afterwards because I think I missed it on the open day. Maybe I'll see you then! x
Exactly what you are doing, just grabbing any opportunity to get a variety of experience however small and then come September go to the open days where you will be able to get more information on actually applying etc etc
Good luck
Carol xxx

😊 thanks carol! Xxx
I have Received an interview for medicine, has any one else received this?
Congratulations, what day is it? I have one for Veterinary as does Marie. I dont know anyone else who has applied for medicine I'm afraid x
I have Received an interview for medicine, has any one else received this?
Its on the 14th. So in a couple of days time, very nervous. I have been reading about the interview process just trying to see any tips
Congratulations, what day is it? I have one for Veterinary as does Marie. I dont know anyone else who has applied for medicine I'm afraid x
oooh that is soon ours are on the 29th. Good luck I am sure you will be fine, remember you've got this far :biggrin: they like what they see. Have they said roughly what format it will be in. We have 2 x panel interviews and a short written ( about 5 mins they have stated) test
Its on the 14th. So in a couple of days time, very nervous. I have been reading about the interview process just trying to see any tips
from what I have read it will be a panel interview that's it so we will see, I'm surprised that not many people have commented tbh.

But thank you for your support, same to you I'm sure you will be fine just keep practicing dont take anything for granted!
oooh that is soon ours are on the 29th. Good luck I am sure you will be fine, remember you've got this far :biggrin: they like what they see. Have they said roughly what format it will be in. We have 2 x panel interviews and a short written ( about 5 mins they have stated) test
Hi, I have received an invitation for interview as well, on the 14th too. I have just sent off the criminal record checks document. Mid preparation now, before 3 long days at work. At least my mind will be off it! Good luck to everyone.
Good luck :smile: xx
Original post by Rellroll
Hi, I have received an invitation for interview as well, on the 14th too. I have just sent off the criminal record checks document. Mid preparation now, before 3 long days at work. At least my mind will be off it! Good luck to everyone.

Quick Reply