The Student Room Group

What is your favourite field of study?

Lets see which field of study is most popular on TSR
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BrandonS15

In terms of what? sorry, I did not understand your question to answer you without asking a counter question. A bit more precise, please!
Reply 2
Original post by BrandonS15

That's... vague? Out of anything in general?

Recently I've been interested in videogame art and music design. Games like Hollow Knight and Skullgirls have great aesthetic design, not just in character design but even in the UI and logo designs, it's really cool. Since I'm trying to make a videogame for my EPQ, and am pretty interested in the artistic design of videogames, I've been paying attention to this more than I usually do. Making things not only visually interesting, but also clear and fluid is cool.
Original post by RikaX97
That's... vague? Out of anything in general?

Recently I've been interested in videogame art and music design. Games like Hollow Knight and Skullgirls have great aesthetic design, not just in character design but even in the UI and logo designs, it's really cool. Since I'm trying to make a videogame for my EPQ, and am pretty interested in the artistic design of videogames, I've been paying attention to this more than I usually do. Making things not only visually interesting, but also clear and fluid is cool.

That sounds so exciting what you said. I wonder how video games are made and what designers do that it can be released for the public. Not only the designers, but also the whole staff around video games in perticular. So can you tell me what the developers do behind the scene to create a video game, if I ask you the question?
Reply 4
Original post by Kallisto
That sounds so exciting what you said. I wonder how video games are made and what designers do that it can be released for the public. Not only the designers, but also the whole staff around video games in perticular. So can you tell me what the developers do behind the scene to create a video game, if I ask you the question?

I don't know a whole lot about how larger companies go about developing a game, since I have more of an interest in indie games, but I can go through a little about what I've learned/figured out.

Probably the biggest thing I learned is that Unity can handle a lot for you. Unity (and sometimes other game engines) are used by indie devs and larger companies alike now, just because it's really damn useful, and saves a lot of time for handling simple tasks, and helps designers create areas for a videogame visually, rather than having to program it line by line. In my school, 3 people are making a videogame; two people are making their game using Java, and I'm using Unity, and I feel like I've been able to design mine a lot more quickly, and honestly with less effort. If you ever want to try making a game yourself, just download Unity, learn basic C# coding and watch some tutorials on youtube, it's shockingly easy to learn.

Indie games seem to more often have unique art styles, one of my favourite games atm is Hollow Knight, which has a really nice hand-drawn style that makes every area look unique, I love it.
hollow knight abyss.jpg

It also makes great use of colour schemes; I can't think of many areas that don't have a unique colour scheme, but the dark theme with rocky grounds is consistent throughout the whole game. Again, really pretty! The game also makes great use of coloured lighting, which is great for a largely dark, underground game.
hollow knight crystal peak bench.pnggreenpath bench.jpg

I know that, with enough time (and preferably money), a relatively small number of people can make a game; Hollow Knight was made almost exclusively by 3 people.

Skullgirls is another indie game, this one has a jazz aesthetic, which is something I genuinely don't think I've seen in any other games. The snappy animation is really nice since it's a fighting game.
skullgirls screenshot.jpg

I've found that a lot of making a videogame (as with pretty much anything creative) comes down to trial and error, experimenting until you find something that's fun to play.

Is there anything specific you wanted me to explain? There's a lot of different creative aspects that go into making a videogame, and I don't think I could explain a lot of aspects in one post really.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RikaX97
x

Unity seems so good to create own videogames. Are there any restrictions in terms of the genre? is it even possible to create own soundtracks with unity?

I know that this thread is going to be off topic now, but... I am so curious now!
Reply 6
Original post by Kallisto
Unity seems so good to create own videogames. Are there any restrictions in terms of the genre? is it even possible to create own soundtracks with unity?

I know that this thread is going to be off topic now, but... I am so curious now!

Unity shouldn't really restrict you no matter what genre you choose, although it may be a little more convenient for some genres than others (for example, there are a lot of built-in collision detection things that make programming a platformer easy, but won't be too useful in an srpg or something). It's designed for game design in general, not any particular genre, and it's very good at being universal and applied to whatever you might be interested in. Also, there are quite a lot of tutorials for Unity, so if you're interested in making a specific genre, you have a pretty good bet that someone has made a tutorial on how to do that in Unity, whereas you might not have that luxury with a more obscure game engine.

I don't really know what you mean by making a soundtrack; if you mean making music Unity, then I'm pretty sure you can't do that. However, it is designed to be pretty easy to add music to, or import music into, if that's what you mean. Also, Unity has a built-in Asset Store, so if you're not interested in making music, you can probably download or buy music off the asset store to use instead.

And yes, Unity is very good for making videogames, and a lot easier than it looks once you've gotten over the initial difficulty of figuring out the basics.

I've only been using Unity for a little while, but feel free to ask about anything you're interested in, I'm happy to explain whatever I've figured out!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest