The Student Room Group

Unsure whether to study medicine??

I’m in year 12 studying maths, biology and chemistry currently. I’m predicted A,A*,B respectively and am trying to decide whether to study medicine at uni. I have a habit of coasting which has worked so far in my education but will medicine be too intense for me? Am I too lazy? How hard actually is medicine as a degree? If I’m having doubts this early maybe it’s not right for me? But I am really passionate about it and think I would regret not going for it
Original post by leahnieve
I’m in year 12 studying maths, biology and chemistry currently. I’m predicted A,A*,B respectively and am trying to decide whether to study medicine at uni. I have a habit of coasting which has worked so far in my education but will medicine be too intense for me? Am I too lazy? How hard actually is medicine as a degree? If I’m having doubts this early maybe it’s not right for me? But I am really passionate about it and think I would regret not going for it

I love medicine. Lots of us have doubts during the course, but that' normal about anything. Especially with medicine where everyone tries to put you off as advice. The course itself is really enjoyable albeit challenging. You just have to work hard

being only predicted a B in chemistry is a concern. a medicine degree is much harder than Chemistry A level (albeit requires different skills) and universities know predictions tend to be a bit higher than real grades at the end. a medicine degree is very intense memorisation along with a lot of other practical AND people skills required. this is why, to do medicine you need to do work experience.
Hi there!

Medicine is a very challenging degree, but if you're prepared to work hard and are passionate about it then it will be the right choice for you.

One thing to keep in mind is also your predicted grades - many medical schools require three As at A-Level, so it's a good idea to check the entry requirements of the universities you apply to, if you do decide to choose medicine. You can see entry requirements for each UK medical school on our Medical School Comparison Tool.

We'd also suggest making sure you undertake some work experience to see if medicine is right for you - you read our guide to finding Medical Work Experience here.

You might also find it helpful to read our guide on Deciding on Medicine.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Reply 4
Original post by CollectiveSoul
being only predicted a B in chemistry is a concern. a medicine degree is much harder than Chemistry A level (albeit requires different skills) and universities know predictions tend to be a bit higher than real grades at the end. a medicine degree is very intense memorisation along with a lot of other practical AND people skills required. this is why, to do medicine you need to do work experience.

I do have an opportunity to improve my predicted chemistry grade with the exam we sit at the end of first year. I’m currently trying to get motivated enough to smash the exam. I feel like I have the perfect set of skills to make a good doctor but need to get motivated enough to get the grades I need. Ive really been struggling to find work experience, do you know the kind of things unis look for?
Reply 5
Original post by ah317
I love medicine. Lots of us have doubts during the course, but that' normal about anything. Especially with medicine where everyone tries to put you off as advice. The course itself is really enjoyable albeit challenging. You just have to work hard

It’s a relief to know I’m not the only person that’s had doubts but still gone on to enjoy the course
It’s a relief to know I’m not the only person that’s had doubts but still gone on to enjoy the course

Yeah feel free to PM to talk to me about any concerns you have :smile:
Reply 7

It is normal to have doubts. Why do you want to do medicine?

I do have an opportunity to improve my predicted chemistry grade with the exam we sit at the end of first year. I’m currently trying to get motivated enough to smash the exam. I feel like I have the perfect set of skills to make a good doctor but need to get motivated enough to get the grades I need. Ive really been struggling to find work experience, do you know the kind of things unis look for?

Have you done any volunteering? Things like volunteering in Care Homes, for charities etc. Even work experience in Pharmacies gives you a different perspective of healthcare such as chronic disease, importance of medication management etc.

Generally I think medical schools look for applicants who have a good(ish) idea of what it means to be a doctor, have reflected on the difficulties and are able to say what attributes they have which they believe will make them a good doctor. That and having the ability to communicate & sympathise helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending