The Student Room Group

Perfect Grades, All 9s at GCSE, Motivation

Hey - I'm in year 12 now and I wrote a HIVE article explaining how I revised for my GCSEs and also what motivated me to do well. I hope this helps someone :smile:

Follow this link to find out how I got 11 9s and how to stay motivated

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/revision/gcse/revision-advice-my-journey-to-11-grade-9s-and-how-to-stay-motivated

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x.emilye
Hey - I'm in year 12 now and I wrote a HIVE article explaining how I revised for my GCSEs and also what motivated me to do well. I hope this helps someone :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/revision/gcse/revision-advice-my-journey-to-11-grade-9s-and-how-to-stay-motivated

11??? How did u get 11??? I thought there's a cap on how many GCSEs u can do? What did u do for ur GCSEs?
Reply 2
Original post by csh19120522
11??? How did u get 11??? I thought there's a cap on how many GCSEs u can do? What did u do for ur GCSEs?

Nah I swear there are people with like 15 GCSEs. I did 13 because I did 2 extras (Astronomy in year 10 and Add Maths FSMQ in year 11)

My main GCSEs (9-1): Maths, English Language, English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, French, German, RS, History
(edited 5 years ago)
Nah I swear there are people with like 15 GCSEs. I did 13 because I did 2 extras (Astronomy in year 10 and Add Maths FSMQ in year 11)

My main GCSEs (9-1): Maths, English Language, English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, French, German, RS, History

15 wtf 😲😲 and ooh u picked good ones!! what job do u want??
Reply 4
Original post by csh19120522
15 wtf 😲😲 and ooh u picked good ones!! what job do u want??

Yeah, there are people who have more GCSEs than me. Thinking of banking/finance
Yeah, there are people who have more GCSEs than me. Thinking of banking/finance

woah 😂. and oh that's awesome!
Reply 6

Hello, I'm struggling a lot with maths atm, I have finished my revision notes for biology and C1. By what time should I ideally finish memorizing and start exam papers? also any tips for maths?
Reply 7
Original post by kkai
Hello, I'm struggling a lot with maths atm, I have finished my revision notes for biology and C1. By what time should I ideally finish memorizing and start exam papers? also any tips for maths?

Youtube videos, ask your teachers to go through topics with you, search online for GCSE Maths questions. I think there's no harm in starting papers now then maybe you could revisit them later on. Just don't focus on the new spec ones, doing parts of the old spec one can be good too to give you some more questions to practise from. I think you should make sure that you understand everything for your GCSE subjects as early as possible because you don't want to be trying to teach yourself something the night before the exam
Reply 8
Youtube videos, ask your teachers to go through topics with you, search online for GCSE Maths questions. I think there's no harm in starting papers now then maybe you could revisit them later on. Just don't focus on the new spec ones, doing parts of the old spec one can be good too to give you some more questions to practise from. I think you should make sure that you understand everything for your GCSE subjects as early as possible because you don't want to be trying to teach yourself something the night before the exam

so to summarize understand as you go along, memorize fully and apply your knowledge?
Reply 9
Original post by kkai
so to summarize understand as you go along, memorize fully and apply your knowledge?

Yeah basically, it really is easier if you put in effort as you go along. I didn't even understand everything fully at the time of my GCSEs but because I made sure I became very good at a lot of subjects in advance, I didn't really revise them during exam period and I could put a lot of time into my weaker subjects and the subjects that require you to remember a lot
So what do you plan to study at university, and where (I'm assuming Oxbridge)?
Reply 11
Original post by Tolgarda
So what do you plan to study at university, and where (I'm assuming Oxbridge)?

Yeah I am looking and Oxbridge - Economics/E&M
Yeah I am looking and Oxbridge - Economics/E&M

Damn, why was I thinking chemical engineering, natural sciences or medicine? Anyway, good luck with that. You have opened many doors already. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Tolgarda
Damn, why was I thinking chemical engineering, natural sciences or medicine? Anyway, good luck with that. You have opened many doors already.

Some of my friends have told me they assumed I wanted to me a doctor, and people have said I look like a doctor (strange, I know) and write like one. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and I'm still not, but I didn't want to invest so much time into such a demanding career that I didn't want to do with all my heart.

Reply 14
What are your tips for English Language and Literature revision? In the Language exam there isn't any specific things you can revise so as to speak and in the Literature, the poetry anthology (My school does Conflict) seems really really hard to revise. What exactly did you do for it? I was thinking of making a mindmap with all the connections between poems and writing 3 main quotations for each poem.

In terms of Geography, there's so many case studies! How did you remember all the facts and figures?

I am also aiming for that clean sweep of 11 level 9s but I'd be happy with 10 or 9 level 9s because I'm not that clever haha.
Also, well done!!! 11 9s is a crazy good GCSE score and I just want to congratulate you on that achievement!

I have my second set of mocks after the half term and it would be great if you could reply ASAP :smile:
Thanks in advance

Submit replyHey - I'm in year 12 now and I wrote a HIVE article explaining how I revised for my GCSEs and also what motivated me to do well. I hope this helps someone :smile:

Reply 15
Original post by envyb
What are your tips for English Language and Literature revision? In the Language exam there isn't any specific things you can revise so as to speak and in the Literature, the poetry anthology (My school does Conflict) seems really really hard to revise. What exactly did you do for it? I was thinking of making a mindmap with all the connections between poems and writing 3 main quotations for each poem.

In terms of Geography, there's so many case studies! How did you remember all the facts and figures?

I am also aiming for that clean sweep of 11 level 9s but I'd be happy with 10 or 9 level 9s because I'm not that clever haha.
Also, well done!!! 11 9s is a crazy good GCSE score and I just want to congratulate you on that achievement!

I have my second set of mocks after the half term and it would be great if you could reply ASAP :smile:
Thanks in advance

Ah thanks :smile:
I think your revision ideas are really good. For English Lit I'd advise doing as many practice questions as you can and getting teachers to mark it. But I know that's time consuming, which is why I made loads of essay plans on various different questions because there's only so much they can ask you. I did Conflict as well, pick poems that go together and write comparative points for as many as possible. With English Language make sure you know what examiners are looking for and what you need to include. Try to zoom in on specific words and say a lot about a little. Also for the writing, practise generic questions like 'write about a time when you felt scared' or describing an old man. In my English Language paper 1, the picture was an image my teacher had shown us before. But I chose the narrative, and the question we had to answer was similar to one I had done before and scored very highly on. If you practise loads of questions, you'll know how to answer them straight away. I didn't just find this with English, I found it with other subjects too. In my RS and History I also had quite a few questions I'd done before because I'd done so many questions. I didn't do Geography but I know a thing or two about remembering things. Try writing out the key points and then revisit them as often as possible. Maybe just read them on the bus or something.
Reply 16

Add Maths FSMQ is not a GCSE(It's level 3 qualification, GCSE's are level 2), congrats on your results by the way!
Reply 17
Original post by Zoqua
Add Maths FSMQ is not a GCSE(It's level 3 qualification, GCSE's are level 2), congrats on your results by the way!

Reply 18
Ah thanks :smile:
I think your revision ideas are really good. For English Lit I'd advise doing as many practice questions as you can and getting teachers to mark it. But I know that's time consuming, which is why I made loads of essay plans on various different questions because there's only so much they can ask you. I did Conflict as well, pick poems that go together and write comparative points for as many as possible. With English Language make sure you know what examiners are looking for and what you need to include. Try to zoom in on specific words and say a lot about a little. Also for the writing, practise generic questions like 'write about a time when you felt scared' or describing an old man. In my English Language paper 1, the picture was an image my teacher had shown us before. But I chose the narrative, and the question we had to answer was similar to one I had done before and scored very highly on. If you practise loads of questions, you'll know how to answer them straight away. I didn't just find this with English, I found it with other subjects too. In my RS and History I also had quite a few questions I'd done before because I'd done so many questions. I didn't do Geography but I know a thing or two about remembering things. Try writing out the key points and then revisit them as often as possible. Maybe just read them on the bus or something.

Thanks a lot
Your tips on the english revison are really useful! I'll be sure to do practice questions over these holidays to prepare.:biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by envyb
Thanks a lot
Your tips on the english revison are really useful! I'll be sure to do practice questions over these holidays to prepare.:biggrin:

You're very welcome :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest