The Student Room Group

Extra AS level

Im currently in year 11 studying my alevel courses to qualify to computer science undergraduate course
Im taking maths alevel this session and im going to take one more alevel and one AS level
The question is what would be more useful in my future studies is it taking alevel physics and AS Computer science or alevel Computer science and AS physics?
Why are you taking A levels so early? The most competitive universities will want 3 A levels taken over two years. Taking one or two early is not normally beneficial. You can start studying the content without taking the exams.
If they took iGCSEs early then they should be taking 3 A levels following that not 2 a levels and an AS.
Because some universities (particularly the most competitive) want applicants to take 3 (or more) A levels over 2 years. Spreading A levels out over 3 years isn't beneficial.
If you were taking 3 A levels then an extra AS level would be an good idea if you think you can cope with the extra work.
Original post by Seif1Ashraf
Im currently in year 11 studying my alevel courses to qualify to computer science undergraduate course
Im taking maths alevel this session and im going to take one more alevel and one AS level
The question is what would be more useful in my future studies is it taking alevel physics and AS Computer science or alevel Computer science and AS physics?

Hi OP.

I'm having trouble counting here. Most universities in Britain will expect you to have 3 A-levels to back up your application. Yes, an extra AS could very well help to make you more competitive as you apply.

However, you only talk of 3 subjects, one of which you suggest should be an AS: Maths at A-level, and then Physics and Comp Sci at either A-level or AS.

In short, therefore, what would be most useful for you is taking all 3 subjects at A-level, with possibly a Further Mathematics AS if your school offers it.

Quick Reply

Latest