The Student Room Group

Which IB classes should I take

I want to study economics in the UK (LSE, UCL, Oxford...), and I am a European national. I will take these subjects:

Language A (Slovenian) HL (mandatory)
Maths HL
Economics HL
English B SL/HL

I don't know whether to take philosophy or psychology for my sixth subject, and whether to take Chemistry or Biology SL (I don't like science, want to do minimal work). Also, should I take English B HL or SL, I am very good at English but don't know if 4 HLs are too much.
Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/economics-and-management?wssl=1

they just require Maths; a friend nearly got in for Modern Languages with an 85% at baccalaureate (the college sent a letter of apology, after a few rounds of interviews), the Oxford success rate for economics applicants is around 6% so you'll need a backup plan, and closer to 90% in whatever subjects you find easier. Philo can be quite well passed with a 100% at IB, after a couple of years hard reading - Psycho - I don't know anyone who's studied that at school!

Hopefully some Economics experts will chip in with more suggestions. . .
Hi there, I'm a current IB Year 2 student. :smile: I take Psychology HL and Bio SL and I can say I am pretty happy with my choices.

I found Psych to be very interesting as a subject and though it may seem on the outset very complicated and lengthy to study, if you're taking it at an SL level, you won't have too much of a hard time. I'd say it depends on what you're interested in in the end, but taking the course has made me like the subject as a whole even more!

Personally, I am quite hopeless with science courses and Biology to me seemed the easiest. The SL course is nothing like HL (which has 6 more modules, yikes) but overall the subject is quite interesting. I have several friends who are taking Chem HL atm and they are practically dying in the class, but I think its due to the teacher that is teaching the course. But again, it depends on what you want to do.

Feel free to quote me if you have any more questions, I'd love to help more.
Reply 3
Original post by bellexelle
Hi there, I'm a current IB Year 2 student. :smile: I take Psychology HL and Bio SL and I can say I am pretty happy with my choices.

I found Psych to be very interesting as a subject and though it may seem on the outset very complicated and lengthy to study, if you're taking it at an SL level, you won't have too much of a hard time. I'd say it depends on what you're interested in in the end, but taking the course has made me like the subject as a whole even more!

Personally, I am quite hopeless with science courses and Biology to me seemed the easiest. The SL course is nothing like HL (which has 6 more modules, yikes) but overall the subject is quite interesting. I have several friends who are taking Chem HL atm and they are practically dying in the class, but I think its due to the teacher that is teaching the course. But again, it depends on what you want to do.

Regarding Bio SL, I've heard it's only memorisation and a lot of it. Is that true?
Original post by B G 51
I want to study economics in the UK (LSE, UCL, Oxford...), and I am a European national. I will take these subjects:

Language A (Slovenian) HL (mandatory)
Maths HL
Economics HL
English B SL/HL

I don't know whether to take philosophy or psychology for my sixth subject, and whether to take Chemistry or Biology SL (I don't like science, want to do minimal work). Also, should I take English B HL or SL, I am very good at English but don't know if 4 HLs are too much.
Thanks

Hi OP. Just one thing to consider: Economics isn't required at high school level for entry into even the most prestigious of universities in the UK. So, if you like, you could take English B at HL and Economics at SL. That way you wouldn't have to carry 4 HL subjects, and would be able to show your English skills better.
I don't know the philosophy or psychology specs at IB, but as to the compulsory science, perhaps Biology SL would be the most straightforward. It won't matter to the universities which of the two you take.
Reply 5
You can be set an external English language requirement so English isn't necessary. If you are aiming solely for UK, why not take A levels?
Original post by esrever
You can be set an external English language requirement so English isn't necessary. If you are aiming solely for UK, why not take A levels?

IB requires a second language for the diploma, and UCL, for example, sets lower grade levels for English B students with HL as opposed to SL in order to satisfy the English Language requirement.
I guess OP is at an IB school in Slovenia, so A-levels wouldn't be an option for them.
Reply 7
Original post by 学生の父
IB requires a second language for the diploma, and UCL, for example, sets lower grade levels for English B students with HL as opposed to SL in order to satisfy the English Language requirement.
I guess OP is at an IB school in Slovenia, so A-levels wouldn't be an option for them.

It's only natural to set a lower grade because HL is tougher than SL. I would highly recommend doing something related to economics instead of English for HL.
Original post by B G 51
Regarding Bio SL, I've heard it's only memorisation and a lot of it. Is that true?

In comparison to the other sciences, it does require a lot of memorisation as there is quite a hefty bit of material you kind of just have to 'know'. I could be wrong but you can double check with other Chem or Physics students. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by bellexelle

This might be a pretty late reply/question but would you say that there's some overlap between Psych HL and Bio SL? I have psych as one of my HLs and I'm currently deciding between wether I should pick Bio SL or CompSci SL for my group 4 subject. If there is overlap between psych and bio, then I might as well just pick bio

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending