The Student Room Group

What does eligible for graduate basis for chartered membership (GBC) for BPS mean?

Hi all,

A bit of background: I hold a BSc Psychology degree (BPS-accredited) from a UK university and have just applied for my masters at a couple of universities in the UK. Eventually I intend to pursue my DClinPsy so I can be a practicing clinical psychologist. I am an international student from Asia.

So I don't understand, I've come across some universities pages online that mention conversion courses that allow you to be "eligible for GBC of the BPS" - am I not eligible anyway if I did my undergrad in a BPS-accredited uni in the UK?

If I intend to do a doctorate in clinical psychology in the UK, can I not just choose any clinical-related programme for my masters?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aneelgill
Hi all,

A bit of background: I hold a BSc Psychology degree (BPS-accredited) from a UK university and have just applied for my masters at a couple of universities in the UK. Eventually I intend to pursue my DClinPsy so I can be a practicing clinical psychologist. I am an international student from Asia.

So I don't understand, I've come across some universities pages online that mention conversion courses that allow you to be "eligible for GBC of the BPS" - am I not eligible anyway if I did my undergrad in a BPS-accredited uni in the UK?

If I intend to do a doctorate in clinical psychology in the UK, can I not just choose any clinical-related programme for my masters?

Thank you!

you should be eligible anyway and not need to do a conversion course.
Your undergrad is BPS, so your analysis is correct. No need for conversion.

The reason why wording like 'graduate basis for chartered membership' is used is because there's a lower tier that a student can join. Then there's the chartered tier above it.

It's just back covering. On linkedin and applications you see very cheeky people putting 'BPS' membership when they only have student membership trying to pretend it's more and bigging it up!
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
you should be eligible anyway and not need to do a conversion course.

Original post by marinade
Your undergrad is BPS, so your analysis is correct. No need for conversion.

The reason why wording like 'graduate basis for chartered membership' is used is because there's a lower tier that a student can join. Then there's the chartered tier above it.

It's just back covering. On linkedin and applications you see very cheeky people putting 'BPS' membership when they only have student membership trying to pretend it's more and bigging it up!

I see, thank you. But then is it important that the Masters programme I intend to do this Sept be BPS-accredited as well? There are sooo many MSc programmes out there, and a fair number that I'm interested, but most of them aren't BPS-accredited, or at least it doesn't say. Is this important?
I see, thank you. But then is it important that the Masters programme I intend to do this Sept be BPS-accredited as well? There are sooo many MSc programmes out there, and a fair number that I'm interested, but most of them aren't BPS-accredited, or at least it doesn't say. Is this important?

I have never seen much agreement between applicants, prospective applicants, academics as to whether a master's degree matters that much in terms of the DClinPsy, so I'll sit that one out. So if you want to do one anyway, then great. You could have a look on the ClinPsy forum and see what they say there.

Doing a master's degree may get you voluntary opportunities or some jobs easier than if you didn't have it.

Masters only need to be accredited if they are aiming at people who want to be eligible to apply for things like the clinical psychology doctorate (aka a conversion course). If your undergrad degree was accredited (and almost all single honours will be and some joint honours courses will be too), then you can do any masters you want
Reply 6
Original post by marinade
I have never seen much agreement between applicants, prospective applicants, academics as to whether a master's degree matters that much in terms of the DClinPsy, so I'll sit that one out. So if you want to do one anyway, then great. You could have a look on the ClinPsy forum and see what they say there.

Doing a master's degree may get you voluntary opportunities or some jobs easier than if you didn't have it.

That's honestly one of the 2 reasons I'm pursuing a Masters degree - it'll increase my chances of getting clinical-related positions and it may add on to my CV and improve my chances of attaining a position in a DClinPsy program.

Original post by Interrobang
Masters only need to be accredited if they are aiming at people who want to be eligible to apply for things like the clinical psychology doctorate (aka a conversion course). If your undergrad degree was accredited (and almost all single honours will be and some joint honours courses will be too), then you can do any masters you want

Okay so bear with me here please and excuse my obvious/silly questions.

So if the Masters I'm going for is NOT BPS-accredited, even if it's from a well-established university in the UK, will this not be a concern when applying for a DClinPsy programme? Ultimately that's what I intend to pursue, a doctorate's qualification in clinical psychology. As of right now I'm confident that's my path, but this can only happen in maybe 3 years time as a minimum (because it's crazy expensive and as an international student I'll have to pay all that myself).

I would think a Masters not being BPS-accredited wouldn't matter, since the entry requirements page states a minimum of a 2.1 from my undergrad degree would suffice (along with work experience obviously). But, yes, that's my question, if I want to pursue a doctorate's in clinical psychology in the UK, would my Masters' degree need to be BPS-accredited?

Thank you once again!
That's honestly one of the 2 reasons I'm pursuing a Masters degree - it'll increase my chances of getting clinical-related positions and it may add on to my CV and improve my chances of attaining a position in a DClinPsy program.

Okay so bear with me here please and excuse my obvious/silly questions.

So if the Masters I'm going for is NOT BPS-accredited, even if it's from a well-established university in the UK, will this not be a concern when applying for a DClinPsy programme? Ultimately that's what I intend to pursue, a doctorate's qualification in clinical psychology. As of right now I'm confident that's my path, but this can only happen in maybe 3 years time as a minimum (because it's crazy expensive and as an international student I'll have to pay all that myself).

I would think a Masters not being BPS-accredited wouldn't matter, since the entry requirements page states a minimum of a 2.1 from my undergrad degree would suffice (along with work experience obviously). But, yes, that's my question, if I want to pursue a doctorate's in clinical psychology in the UK, would my Masters' degree need to be BPS-accredited?

Thank you once again!

If you already have an accredited undergrad degree you don't need to do an accredited masters. An accredited masters would be pointless
Reply 8
If you already have an accredited undergrad degree you don't need to do an accredited masters. An accredited masters would be pointless

Thank you and thank goodness!

Other than getting a degree that's linked with the BPS which may improve job opportunities (it definitely does, at least in Asia) or for getting a spot in a university, what benefits does having a BPS-accredited degree have? I can see how it benefits universities by having that national agency affiliation, and in complying with BPS standards, but what about students, how else do they benefit besides my points above?
Thank you and thank goodness!

Other than getting a degree that's linked with the BPS which may improve job opportunities (it definitely does, at least in Asia) or for getting a spot in a university, what benefits does having a BPS-accredited degree have? I can see how it benefits universities by having that national agency affiliation, and in complying with BPS standards, but what about students, how else do they benefit besides my points above?

The only time it really matters is if you want to go on to become some kind of psychologist
Reply 10
The only time it really matters is if you want to go on to become some kind of psychologist

That's what I thought - thank you all for all your helpful replies and a happy 2019 ahead!
Hi, I'm sorry for the trouble. I understand this is an old thread but I am actually in a similar boat when it comes to this. I don't know who to ask, the information on the net is vague and confusing and would really love all your help. I have just completed a Bachelors in Psychology in India and I'm in the process of applying for GBC to check if my course is accredited by the BPS. However, I just had a doubt. In case, my GBC is denied right now because my degree does not cover some core topics as required by the BPS, would I have the option of reapplying for GBC after a Masters Degree in the UK? If yes, would this Masters have to be accredited by the BPS?Also, could anyone tell me who it is I should be contacting exactly if I need to clarify these doubts officially?
Original post by anjalin03
Hi, I'm sorry for the trouble. I understand this is an old thread but I am actually in a similar boat when it comes to this. I don't know who to ask, the information on the net is vague and confusing and would really love all your help. I have just completed a Bachelors in Psychology in India and I'm in the process of applying for GBC to check if my course is accredited by the BPS. However, I just had a doubt. In case, my GBC is denied right now because my degree does not cover some core topics as required by the BPS, would I have the option of reapplying for GBC after a Masters Degree in the UK? If yes, would this Masters have to be accredited by the BPS?Also, could anyone tell me who it is I should be contacting exactly if I need to clarify these doubts officially?

You'd probably have to complete a conversion course gor GBC

Most MSc's require an accredited undergraduate degree or conversion course
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello, were you able to find any solution for this? I'm in the same situation myself.
Original post by ahnisvroopa
Hello, were you able to find any solution for this? I'm in the same situation myself.

The question has already been answered above :smile:
If i get a MBPsS from BPS, would i still need to do a conversion course? and how would go on to obtain a GBC?
Reply 16
Original post by ahnisvroopa
If i get a MBPsS from BPS, would i still need to do a conversion course? and how would go on to obtain a GBC?

No, if you are a member of the BPS, it means you have done a BPS-accredited undergraduate degree. GBC just means you are eligible for graduate membership.
hi there, im not even sure you'll see this but I'm exactly where you are, and wanted to ask if you've gotten a solution?
Original post by anjalin03

hii, does anyone have a solution to this exact issue?
Reply 19
Original post by AnnanyaS
hii, does anyone have a solution to this exact issue?

Yes, if your degree does not meet BPS requirements for GBC, you would need to complete a BPS-accredited conversion masters in order to resolve this.

Quick Reply

Latest