The Student Room Group

I’m fed up of living at home now

Right I’m a full time college student working towards completing my sleeves and in the meantime I work part time at McDonald’s. I’ve started earning an hourly rate of £8.25 as I worked my ass off to get to crew trainer over these past months as well as college. I paid fortnightly rent of £20 which is reasonable, however, now I’m earning £2.50 more and want to work a shift in the weekday as well as weekends my mum no wants £20 a week to her and £10 a week to my stepdad while she expects me to pay for my own phone bill, for people to use Netflix in the house and save up for a car and insurance?

I don’t know if I sound like a child but I’m getting sick of it now it’s like she forgets I’m actually her child and not a tenenat while I also do stuff around the house, cook my own food, etc. What’s other people’s view on this?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Right I’m a full time college student working towards completing my sleeves and in the meantime I work part time at McDonald’s. I’ve started earning an hourly rate of £8.25 as I worked my ass off to get to crew trainer over these past months as well as college. I paid fortnightly rent of £20 which is reasonable, however, now I’m earning £2.50 more and want to work a shift in the weekday as well as weekends my mum no wants £20 a week to her and £10 a week to my stepdad while she expects me to pay for my own phone bill, for people to use Netflix in the house and save up for a car and insurance?

I don’t know if I sound like a child but I’m getting sick of it now it’s like she forgets I’m actually her child and not a tenenat while I also do stuff around the house, cook my own food, etc. What’s other people’s view on this?

A-levels not sleeves ** 😂
well my mum makes me pay £200 a month which is a quarter of my wages so consider yourself lucky
Reply 3
£30 in total is nothing. Just wait till you move out into the real world and you have actual bills and council tax to pay.
Reply 4
Original post by cherlloydfan
well my mum makes me pay £200 a month which is a quarter of my wages so consider yourself lucky

What are you in college? I’m 17 years old I don’t really have a choice on whether to move out or not I don’t even know my dad so that’s not even an option for me
£20 fortnightly rent?! If you're fed up of living at home then move out and watch as that figure skyrockets :redface:
Happy to switch places with you if you like, £150 a week sound good?
Reply 6
Original post by Nfergs
£30 in total is nothing. Just wait till you move out into the real world and you have actual bills and council tax to pay.

Yeah I know but that’s still £120 a month along with my phone bill, Netflix that my mum says I should pay and she moaning at me to save up and get a car and insurance?
Reply 7
Original post by velvethopes
£20 fortnightly rent?! If you're fed up of living at home then move out and watch as that figure skyrockets :redface:
Happy to switch places with you if you like, £150 a week sound good?

Still I’m in college, 17 and feel like the money a month is just increasing
Reply 8
Tell her she's being unreasonable. You're earning a bit of pocket money on the side of A-Levels. Don't understand the expectation of money from your children as soon as they start working.
Original post by cherlloydfan

How do you make that money please I need to help me family
How do you make that money please I need to help me family

well I work as a website developer and exam proctor for 30 hrs a week, I've finished college and uni.

Your mam gave birth to you. Its her God given right to ask of you for a small amount of cash. Sheesh, you sound so spoilt.
I didn't have a job when I was in college
Your mam gave birth to you. Its her God given right to ask of you for a small amount of cash. Sheesh, you sound so spoilt.

Yeah I’m fine with that but £120 a month on top of everything else I have to pay is getting too much. Especially when she moans about not having a job for the moment and not having much money but she easily has £1000 saved and easily able to buy 8 bottles of wine for herself every Friday
Reply 14
Yeah I know but that’s still £120 a month along with my phone bill, Netflix that my mum says I should pay and she moaning at me to save up and get a car and insurance?

I repeat, just wait till you have to pay proper bills. For a lot of people the only time they are able to save money is when they live at home with their parents - make the most of it while you can.
Reply 15

Absolute rubbish, working hard at A-Levels and expecting to keep a chunk of their own money from their side job isn't any criteria for "spoilt".
How much do you actually earn a month? It's all relative
Yeah I’m fine with that but £120 a month on top of everything else I have to pay is getting too much. Especially when she moans about not having a job for the moment and not having much money but she easily has £1000 saved and easily able to buy 8 bottles of wine for herself every Friday

£1000 is literally nothing when you're running a household. If she's not working you should help out tbh. How much are you earning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending