The Student Room Group

What happens to uni accom deposit?

@universityofsalford
What happens to the deposit for the accommodation. Where does it go???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruby.m
@universityofsalford
What happens to the deposit for the accommodation. Where does it go???

Cant say for Salford, but I cant imagine its any different from them putting it into a uni bank account and when your contract is up they return it less any expenses/damages. Why are you concerned about it?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Cant say for Salford, but I cant imagine its any different from them putting it into a uni bank account and when your contract is up they return it less any expenses/damages. Why are you concerned about it?

Right okay so the deposit is returned or kept In case of any damages. And I’m looking to book my room at Salford but I’m confused why deposit is taken and then they are asking me to pay the first 2 week rent.
Original post by Ruby.m
Right okay so the deposit is returned or kept In case of any damages. And I’m looking to book my room at Salford but I’m confused why deposit is taken and then they are asking me to pay the first 2 week rent.

1. To make sure you are serious about taking the accommodation. Its often non returnable.
2. To use in case of damages or fines
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
1. To make sure you are serious about taking the accommodation. Its often non returnable.
2. To use in case of damages or fines

Right thanks. When do u think is best book a room. Like i fear that if I book towards August time there will be no rooms.
Reply 5
For me, mine got taken off the total cost of my accommodation fee, but could be different depending on uni
Reply 6
Original post by bslevin
For me, mine got taken off the total cost of my accommodation fee, but could be different depending on uni

Right okay but that would happen towards the end of the whole year
Reply 7
Original post by Ruby.m
Right okay but that would happen towards the end of the whole year

What'd mean, like if u broke something or that?
Original post by Ruby.m
Right thanks. When do u think is best book a room. Like i fear that if I book towards August time there will be no rooms.

Read the accommodation process carefully. If you already have an unconditional and firmed, then you are in a position to book. Do your research and find out what you want. Some unis let people book if its a firm and others make them wait.

If you book now then you are committed, bit you may have a wider choice. Look at the unis accomm policy for some they only decide later and others its first come first served.
Reply 9
Original post by bslevin
What'd mean, like if u broke something or that?

Yes or they’d take it off the whole rent. Also like I am looking to get student finance does the rent be taken away from that and will I have enough to use for food and travel.
@SalfordUni is the official rep. It doesn't look like they've been active since 2016 though.

If the information you need isn't obvious from the accommodation policy, then just contact the Salford student accommodation service to find out.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ruby.m
Yes or they’d take it off the whole rent. Also like I am looking to get student finance does the rent be taken away from that and will I have enough to use for food and travel.

Nah they wouldn't add it to they rent, they'd just give u and individual bill of the damages u have to pay and where do u live cause, different countries do it differently, like I'm in Scotland and your how much u get from student loan depends on household income. The way I pay my rent is just transferring the accommodation office every month after my loan comes in, hope this helps
Reply 12
Original post by bslevin
Nah they wouldn't add it to they rent, they'd just give u and individual bill of the damages u have to pay and where do u live cause, different countries do it differently, like I'm in Scotland and your how much u get from student loan depends on household income. The way I pay my rent is just transferring the accommodation office every month after my loan comes in, hope this helps

Oh okay I’m from England, I thought that they accommodation company just automatically takes it out of the student loan which comes in??
Original post by Ruby.m
Oh okay I’m from England, I thought that they accommodation company just automatically takes it out of the student loan which comes in??

No. You have to give them the money yourself. Only the fees are paid to the university directly.
Reply 14
Original post by LeapingLucy
No. You have to give them the money yourself. Only the fees are paid to the university directly.

Right okay, so does this mean I can pay them in smaller amounts??
Reply 15
Original post by Ruby.m

I like in Oldham which is about half an hour away by car from salford. Would you consider it foolish to move out?? Or a good experience?
Reply 16
Original post by Ruby.m
I like in Oldham which is about half an hour away by car from salford. Would you consider it foolish to move out?? Or a good experience?

Live**
Original post by Ruby.m

Live**
Original post by Ruby.m

Live*
Original post by Ruby.m

They will have set dates by which you have to pay certain instalments.

At my uni - and I presume at most others - you pay one instalment in September/October, one in January/February and one slightly smaller instalment in the summer term (as it's generally a shorter term).
Reply 18
Original post by LeapingLucy
They will have set dates by which you have to pay certain instalments.

At my uni - and I presume at most others - you pay one instalment in September/October, one in January/February and one slightly smaller instalment in the summer term (as it's generally a shorter term).

Yes I know I have seen those instalments but is there not a way we can pay those instalments in instalments if that makes sense?
Original post by Ruby.m
Yes I know I have seen those instalments but is there not a way we can pay those instalments in instalments if that makes sense?

You would have to ask the accommodation service of the particular university you’re going to.

I think it’s probably very unlikely though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending