The Student Room Group

UCL MRC DTP 2019 entry

Hi guys! Anyone else applied for the UCL-Birkbeck MRC DTP this year and have an interview? Do you know how many positions are going to be available this year and how many applicants are interviewed?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I think there were five place in experimental and personalised medicine-have you got an offer?
Looks like there were 20 studentships across all the themes. Does anyone else have an offer? :smile:
(Original post by usualbasil)Looks like there were 20 studentships across all the themes. Does anyone else have an offer? :smile:

Congratulations usualbasil!! What theme did you apply for? Would you feel comfortable sharing some information on your background and experience? Was this the first time that you applied?
Original post by ATS123
I think there were five place in experimental and personalised medicine-have you got an offer?

Hi ATS123,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I do not have an offer. I prepared as much as I could and have some research experience so I am trying to learn more about what is expected so I can see what I can work on. Did you get an offer?
Reply 5
I did - currently doing an MRes at Imperial so that probably helped my application. any offers for other places?
Original post by ATS123
I did - currently doing an MRes at Imperial so that probably helped my application. any offers for other places?

Congratulations! Which theme did you apply for? I did not apply anywhere else as I work in UCL, love it here and wanted to pursue a PhD with my lovely colleagues. I have an MSc and 4 years of research experience after that. Is your MRes dissertation closely related to what you have in mind of doing here? Will you be accepting the offer?
Reply 7
Experimental and Personalised medicine. Annoying you didnt get it, especially seeing as your already there! I thought Imperial was more likely for me given my Mres, but alas. 80% sure ill be accepting- really enjoy my current thesis on microbiome and colorectal cancer, so just need to make sure someone in UCL is also looking at that!
Original post by Little lemon
(Original post by usualbasil)Looks like there were 20 studentships across all the themes. Does anyone else have an offer? :smile:

Congratulations usualbasil!! What theme did you apply for? Would you feel comfortable sharing some information on your background and experience? Was this the first time that you applied?

I applied for PPD. Sounds like we have a similar level of experience - I think having several relevant publications helped. Have you asked for feedback from the interview?
Me too, PPD! I did ask for feedback but was just told that others had more experience - totally acceptable! Just was not told what I can do to improve. If you are happy to have a more private conversation, maybe via skype, that would be lovely. I will apply again next year so I want to see what I can do until then. It might be that I want to make some jump from what I have done to what I want to do in the future.
Me too, PPD! I did ask for feedback but was just told that others had more experience - totally acceptable! Just was not told what I can do to improve. If you are happy to have a more private conversation, maybe via skype, that would be lovely. I will apply again next year so I want to see what I can do until then. It might be that I want to make some jump from what I have done to what I want to do in the future.

Feel free to pm me! :smile:
Original post by usualbasil
Feel free to pm me! :smile:

Done! Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by ATS123
Experimental and Personalised medicine. Annoying you didnt get it, especially seeing as your already there! I thought Imperial was more likely for me given my Mres, but alas. 80% sure ill be accepting- really enjoy my current thesis on microbiome and colorectal cancer, so just need to make sure someone in UCL is also looking at that!

That is great! I’m not familiar with anyone working in this area but I hope there is someone! You can find information about all the supervisors of each theme online so I hope that helps. Did you not get an offer in Imperial? It is great that you have that as a back-up either way!
A bit late, but yeah there were around 20 positions all together. I remember before my interview they told that around 35 people were interviewed from each stream for 5 positions. I was myself and relaxed. I luckily got a position in fundamental mechanisms of disease, but best of luck in your applications or in your work the next years!
Original post by Musti Cosita
A bit late, but yeah there were around 20 positions all together. I remember before my interview they told that around 35 people were interviewed from each stream for 5 positions. I was myself and relaxed. I luckily got a position in fundamental mechanisms of disease, but best of luck in your applications or in your work the next years!

Thank you so much for your kind response! I ended up having an interview and accepting a position in KCL so started with you guys, but at a different uni. Project and team is exactly what I wanted to do so everything worked out well in the end. Wish luck to everyone who might be reading this and applying. It is not always easy but ask for feedback and keep applying!
Thank you so much for your kind response! I ended up having an interview and accepting a position in KCL so started with you guys, but at a different uni. Project and team is exactly what I wanted to do so everything worked out well in the end. Wish luck to everyone who might be reading this and applying. It is not always easy but ask for feedback and keep applying!

Congrats man! That's what counts, you only need one shot and if you find a good lab, that's perfect! I applied for 6 PhDs, got runner up for a few but really happy staying at UCL. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending