The Student Room Group

Properly confused...

So I didn't apply to Uni for the full 2 years I was in Sixth form. Now I have decided (more been advised) to go to Uni however now I have to retake those A Levels which I did terribly in due to personal circumstances.I still haven't applied for 2019 entry but am aiming to get through through Clearing. Now I have a whole plethora of questions:

1) What do I put on my UCAS application? I can only add grades up until the date that I did my exams but it won't let me add the grades for this summer. Obviously when I get the grades for June 2019 my aim is to add them but I only went to school until June 2018 and there's no option to add grades for after June 2018 as I don't go to a school anymore - I'm tutored for these exams.

2) Do I need a personal statement?

3) Do I add my AS grades too?

4) Anything I need to aware about, about the application process?

5) How does clearing work?

There's probably more questions but I'll add them as I remember them.

I'm really sorry if I've confused anyone - I'm just trying to get my thoughts out on the screen.

Thanks.
I am a little confused, not gonna lie.

So you are applying as an independent applicant not via a school/college?

You will need to list the A/S and A level exams you have already sat and got grades for. I'm not sure exactly how it works with predicted grades for the exams you are sitting in the summer but if your referee can't give you predicted grades, I believe that you mention them in your Personal Statement (someone else will need to confirm this is what happens for people who study at home) and any offers you get before Clearing will be dependent on you achieving those grades. Clearing begins in August at results time, and UCAS will automatically make you eligible to apply for Unis with vacancies if you are not holding any offers at that time.

Do you mind saying what A levels you already hold and what subject you are applying for?
Original post by .Singh.
So I didn't apply to Uni for the full 2 years I was in Sixth form. Now I have decided (more been advised) to go to Uni however now I have to retake those A Levels which I did terribly in due to personal circumstances.I still haven't applied for 2019 entry but am aiming to get through through Clearing. Now I have a whole plethora of questions:

1) What do I put on my UCAS application? I can only add grades up until the date that I did my exams but it won't let me add the grades for this summer. Obviously when I get the grades for June 2019 my aim is to add them but I only went to school until June 2018 and there's no option to add grades for after June 2018 as I don't go to a school anymore - I'm tutored for these exams.

I'm really sorry if I've confused anyone - I'm just trying to get my thoughts out on the screen.

Thanks.

@PQ can you help re: grades?

Yes you need a personal statement and clearing opens in July. Unis and courses with spaces will be in clearing. You will need to check with them if they will accept you and then add them as a choice. More info will be on the UCAS website.
Original post by harrysbar
Clearing begins in August at results time, and UCAS will automatically make you eligible to apply for Unis with vacancies if you are not holding any offers at that time.

Nope it's actually July.
Original post by .Singh.

Thanks.

1) you need to add your exam centre as a place of study Part Time attendance for the month of the exams. You can then add the second set of A levels that you'll be sitting to that attendance. The results will be sent to your universities automatically if you provide the right information about your pending results.

You aren't applying through clearing - you're just applying "late". See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/what-to-do-if-you-miss-the-15-january-ucas-deadline-and-still-want-to-apply-to-uni for more advice on how this is different to applying earlier.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
I am a little confused, not gonna lie.

So you are applying as an independent applicant not via a school/college?

You will need to list the A/S and A level exams you have already sat and got grades for. I'm not sure exactly how it works with predicted grades for the exams you are sitting in the summer but if your referee can't give you predicted grades, I believe that you mention them in your Personal Statement (someone else will need to confirm this is what happens for people who study at home) and any offers you get before Clearing will be dependent on you achieving those grades. Clearing begins in August at results time, and UCAS will automatically make you eligible to apply for Unis with vacancies if you are not holding any offers at that time.

Do you mind saying what A levels you already hold and what subject you are applying for?

Yes, independently as I don't go to school anymore.

There aren't any predicted grades because I'm redoing the full A Level course for 2 of the A Levels and only retaking some of the modules for the Maths A Level I did so when I get my results I'm going to ring up unis and tell them that I haven't applied to any unis but I want to start this Sept. 2019 and these are the grades I've got, are there any spaces for me? Can I do that?

I hold one A Level right now but I did sit 3 so now I'm redoing the other 2 I failed and redo the modules for the Maths one I did so I will have 3 (hopefully) A Levels when I get my results. I'm thinking Chem. Eng/Pharmacy.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
1) you need to add your exam centre as a place of study Part Time attendance for the month of the exams. You can then add the second set of A levels that you'll be sitting to that attendance. The results will be sent to your universities automatically if you provide the right information about your pending results.

You aren't applying through clearing - you're just applying "late". See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/what-to-do-if-you-miss-the-15-january-ucas-deadline-and-still-want-to-apply-to-uni for more advice on how this is different to applying earlier.

This is what I'm going to be doing:

What happens if you miss the 30 June deadline?

If you miss the 30 June deadline, you can still apply. It does mean that your application will go straight into the Clearing pool, but with more than 60,000 students finding their uni place via Clearing every year, that's not necessarily a bad place to be.

So I'll just be applying through clearing with the grades I will get this year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by .Singh.

If you miss the 30 June deadline, you can still apply. It does mean that your application will go straight into the Clearing pool, but with more than 60,000 students finding their uni place via Clearing every year, that's not necessarily a bad place to be.

Yes, I understand that. You can do precisely what you're suggeting.

I'm just not sure how many Chem Eng or Pharmacy places there will be available in clearing, though? If you're confident of getting good grades, wouldn't it be better to seek Conditional offers through the main UCAS scheme?
Original post by .Singh.

Why are you waiting until July? You can apply now, you’ll have more options and can still use clearing if you don’t find a place.
Reply 8
Original post by 学生の父
Yes, I understand that. You can do precisely what you're suggeting.

I'm just not sure how many Chem Eng or Pharmacy places there will be available in clearing, though? If you're confident of getting good grades, wouldn't it be better to seek Conditional offers through the main UCAS scheme?

If I'm honest anything science/engineering based I'll take so hopefully there should be something that comes up. I can't apply to decent Unis with my current situation as I have 2 fails and an E right now so there's point trying to apply plus my application wouldn't be given the same priority so I think just going through clearing and seeing what comes up is my best bet.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Why are you waiting until July? You can apply now, you’ll have more options and can still use clearing if you don’t find a place.

I can't apply to decent Unis with my current situation as I have 2 fails and an E.
Original post by .Singh.
I can't apply to decent Unis with my current situation as I have 2 fails and an E.

You can apply anywhere - if you have a pending resit and your predicted grades are within the likely offer levels then that would be fine.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
You can apply anywhere - if you have a pending resit and your predicted grades are within the likely offer levels then that would be fine.

I had no intention of going to Uni in Year 13 so I didn't get any predicted grades last year. But I totally understand what you're saying.
Original post by PQ

Original post by .Singh.
I had no intention of going to Uni in Year 13 so I didn't get any predicted grades last year. But I totally understand what you're saying.

@PQ is correct, though. Applying now would place you in a stronger position of getting a pleace you'd really want to study at. It wouldn't preclude you from going through Clearing should you not pick up any offers now.

Since you only just left school, you would be expected to provide a reference from your last school or college. Perhaps you could discuss with them the idea of giving you predicted grades? Or have you been working with a tutor over recent months?
Original post by .Singh.

You will need a reference including predicted grades to apply in July.
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
You will need a reference including predicted grades to apply in July.

I can get a reference but I'm doing a different A Level to the third one I took at school so I can't get them to give me a predicted grade on that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending