The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship 2019?

I'm very interested in applying to join the 2019 fast track group but can't seem to find any information online. Does anyone know yet if any info has come out regarding the 2019 application process, or when about information has been released in previous years?

Also if anyone who has applied before and has been successful (or not!) any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by swisspaella
I'm very interested in applying to join the 2019 fast track group but can't seem to find any information online. Does anyone know yet if any info has come out regarding the 2019 application process, or when about information has been released in previous years?

Also if anyone who has applied before and has been successful (or not!) any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi!

I am a former fast track apprentice who graduated from the scheme this year.

Applications should be open in a couple of weeks (End of Feb)

As far as I know the application process is unchanged from last year, and all of the relevant info is here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/civil-service-fast-track-apprenticeship-how-to-apply
Hi! Thanks for sharing this. I'm also pretty interested in applying, for either Policy or Digital. I can't find anything online either - do you know if it's likely to open soon? I saw this: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/no-fast-track-application-window-in-2019

They're currently reviewing the programme, it's not confirmed if it'll open this year.

Original post by Shaftoes
Hi!

I am a former fast track apprentice who graduated from the scheme this year.

Applications should be open in a couple of weeks (End of Feb)

As far as I know the application process is unchanged from last year, and all of the relevant info is here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/civil-service-fast-track-apprenticeship-how-to-apply
Reply 3
Original post by MelTranfield
Hi! Thanks for sharing this. I'm also pretty interested in applying, for either Policy or Digital. I can't find anything online either - do you know if it's likely to open soon? I saw this: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/no-fast-track-application-window-in-2019

They're currently reviewing the programme, it's not confirmed if it'll open this year.

Sadly they cancelled it completely this year. I only found out when I saw the press release :frown:
Aww, that's such a shame. I'm applying to other apprenticeships anyway, but this is a bit depressing. Do you happen to know why this might have happened? I'm guessing lack of resources and insufficient availability in departments.

Also, I'd love to hear more from you about your experience if that's okay! What area did you work in, and are you still working at the Civil Service? :smile:

Sadly they cancelled it completely this year. I only found out when I saw the press release :frown:
Reply 5
Aww, that's such a shame. I'm applying to other apprenticeships anyway, but this is a bit depressing. Do you happen to know why this might have happened? I'm guessing lack of resources and insufficient availability in departments.

Also, I'd love to hear more from you about your experience if that's okay! What area did you work in, and are you still working at the Civil Service? :smile:

The fast track apprenticeship is a bit of a weird programme. I think it was envisioned to be a bit of a baby version of the fast stream, but it never really got the resources it needed to live up to that expectation. Bits of it just didn't really work very well and there was no sense of community among fast track apprentices as opposed to fast streamers.

As far as I am aware they are doing a lengthy transformation programme to change the apprenticeship. I have no idea what this actually means though! Lots of departments are looking for people at EO grade, it's just a bit difficult having to do the daily business of working in government along with training people that come in with no skills.

Don't let my negativity put you off though! It's the best thing I ever did and it changed my life for the better. I worked for two years as a software developer on the digital apprenticeship and got into generalist on the fast stream this year. While I am waiting for the fast stream to start I am moving into a project delivery role for 6 months. I got this secondment via my mentor (networking is a good thing!)

There is a list of public sector apprenticeships on civil service jobs here:

https://www.civil-service-careers.gov.uk/ways-to-join/

Click the apprenticeships link on that page and it should filter out all of the apprenticeships available at the moment.

Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions
Reply 6
While Fast Track scheme is suspended until 2020, there are still apprenticeships being offered by individual departments.
Yep, thanks. I've checked a few out, but the main appeal of Fast Track to me was that it was clear the Civil Service themselves provided the training. There's a chance the training for the other apprenticeships on offer has been outsourced to providers that may be inadequate.
Original post by Area88
While Fast Track scheme is suspended until 2020, there are still apprenticeships being offered by individual departments.
Reply 8
The fast track apprenticeship is very much outsourced

QA is the learning provider and you go on courses on day / week release depending on your scheme.

Yep, thanks. I've checked a few out, but the main appeal of Fast Track to me was that it was clear the Civil Service themselves provided the training. There's a chance the training for the other apprenticeships on offer has been outsourced to providers that may be inadequate.
Oh, right. That's too bad. I left an apprenticeship with QA - currently doing one with Arch, digital marketing with MThree Consulting who also train graduates and place them in software developer roles with big banks (JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley etc).

The fast track apprenticeship is very much outsourced

QA is the learning provider and you go on courses on day / week release depending on your scheme.
I know this is a little late to reply but the Fast Track apprenticeship is most definitely outsourced, and the providers aren’t great - as a Fast Track apprentice myself, I feel the reason it has been under review this year was because of all the issues that we have experienced with our learning provider.
Hi does anyone know of fast track will open next feb 2020?
Reply 12
Hi, I successfully applied for the Ddat apprenticeship with the Home Office in November and I am currently going through the pre employment checks.When searching on the CS jobs website, I found the apprenticeship vacancy advertised as a job rather than an apprenticeship meaning it wouldn’t have appeared on the search filter for apprenticeships.I believe the home office had a number if other similar vacancies around the country so keep checking. Good luck
Reply 13
The fast track apprenticeship is a bit of a weird programme. I think it was envisioned to be a bit of a baby version of the fast stream, but it never really got the resources it needed to live up to that expectation. Bits of it just didn't really work very well and there was no sense of community among fast track apprentices as opposed to fast streamers.

As far as I am aware they are doing a lengthy transformation programme to change the apprenticeship. I have no idea what this actually means though! Lots of departments are looking for people at EO grade, it's just a bit difficult having to do the daily business of working in government along with training people that come in with no skills.

Don't let my negativity put you off though! It's the best thing I ever did and it changed my life for the better. I worked for two years as a software developer on the digital apprenticeship and got into generalist on the fast stream this year. While I am waiting for the fast stream to start I am moving into a project delivery role for 6 months. I got this secondment via my mentor (networking is a good thing!)

There is a list of public sector apprenticeships on civil service jobs here:

https://www.civil-service-careers.gov.uk/ways-to-join/

Click the apprenticeships link on that page and it should filter out all of the apprenticeships available at the moment.

Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions

Hi,

I might be starting my apprenticeship in a few months and I was wondering if I could pick your brains regarding career progression etc.

Thanks
Hi, Late reply here! I was interested in the fast track apprenticeship scheme until I recently found out its been withdrawn :frown: Happy for others in the Civil serivce to give some insider knowledge of what it’ll be replaced with and how interested Civil servants should go about in looking for apprenticeships / jobs!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending