The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

2019 Cambridge PhD in Education

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for your reply! As they mentioned the ten-day target, I’m hoping to hear some good news from the portal and you guys!!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Childrensbooks
Thanks for your reply! As they mentioned the ten-day target, I’m hoping to hear some good news from the portal and you guys!!

I might be wrong: I thought the ten-day round target is more for GAO to issue offers. As for the transfer from “under review by department” to “waiting approval for GAO”, based on my understanding, it’s more on the department side—they add decisions to each applicant and it will take time to be renewed on the system. At this time, I assume the edu faculty has omitted the degree committee stage.

Yeah, fingers crossed for all of us who are waiting for the results.
Reply 82
Hi, I'm still waiting too...
Does anyone know the days/times for the compulsory research training sessions please?
Thank you
Original post by Edphd
Hi, I'm still waiting too...
Does anyone know the days/times for the compulsory research training sessions please?
Thank you

Hi Edphd! I am not quite sure whether the compulsory research training session you mentioned refers to the Research Method Strand of the doctoral training. If so, all phd (probationary) students are required to attend the RMS classes for the first year or 2 years for part-time students, yet there are no specific number of days/times stated. To the best of my knowledge, there shall be around two to three sessions per week, especially during the Michaelmas term, regarding statistics, your course specific methods and general edu research methods, etc. Of course, there are many selective seminars/training sessions for you to consider both within and outside the faculty.

Hope this may help!
Reply 84
Original post by itsokayestelle
Hi Edphd! I am not quite sure whether the compulsory research training session you mentioned refers to the Research Method Strand of the doctoral training. If so, all phd (probationary) students are required to attend the RMS classes for the first year or 2 years for part-time students, yet there are no specific number of days/times stated. To the best of my knowledge, there shall be around two to three sessions per week, especially during the Michaelmas term, regarding statistics, your course specific methods and general edu research methods, etc. Of course, there are many selective seminars/training sessions for you to consider both within and outside the faculty.

Hope this may help!

Hi, thanks for replying and yes the RMS - didn't know the correct name sorry! If I'm lucky enough to get a place I'll be part time so just trying to figure out what days I'll need to be in Cambridge.
Thanks for your response, itsokayestelle. Now I see what they mean by the 10 days...

While we are still waiting, do you guys mind sharing whether you have any teaching or research experience?
again no news... have a nice week everybody!!! 75 days and still counting!!!
Has anyone heard from the department by emails recently?
Reply 88
Hi Guys,

PhD Education Application - 5th December
Interview - 14th Jan
Jumped from dept to GAO - 6th Jan
Conditional offer made -19th Feb

I can’t access the conditions until I get access to my self service account. As I’ve already graduated and submitted my Masters certification does anyone have any idea what the possible conditions may be?
Original post by 9882
Hi Guys,

PhD Education Application - 5th December
Interview - 14th Jan
Jumped from dept to GAO - 6th Jan
Conditional offer made -19th Feb

I can’t access the conditions until I get access to my self service account. As I’ve already graduated and submitted my Masters certification does anyone have any idea what the possible conditions may be?

First, big big congratulation!

As far as I know, basically you will have some non-academic and admin-based conditions, such as uploading your personal profile photo, posting your transcripts (potentially, I’m not sure though), and uploading your passport and previous visa(s) for them to issue CAS (I couldn’t remember whether you are an international student or not, sorry!) etc.
Reply 90
First, big big congratulation!

As far as I know, basically you will have some non-academic and admin-based conditions, such as uploading your personal profile photo, posting your transcripts (potentially, I’m not sure though), and uploading your passport and previous visa(s) for them to issue CAS (I couldn’t remember whether you are an international student or not, sorry!) etc.

Hi. Thank you! Well- I uploaded my transcripts and certificates with my application and I’m a UK student. That’s what’s confusing me :smile:
Original post by 9882
Hi. Thank you! Well- I uploaded my transcripts and certificates with my application and I’m a UK student. That’s what’s confusing me :smile:

Yeah, so they might still ask for materials by post. One of my friends was asked, yet she’s an international student. I guess GAO just needs to verify the authenticity of non-UK transcripts and certificate. Or, ummm, will it be possible that you are issued with an unconditional offer, but the system only has the “conditional offer made” option? :wink: Anyways, I don’t think you should worry!
Reply 92
Yeah, so they might still ask for materials by post. One of my friends was asked, yet she’s an international student. I guess GAO just needs to verify the authenticity of non-UK transcripts and certificate. Or, ummm, will it be possible that you are issued with an unconditional offer, but the system only has the “conditional offer made” option? :wink: Anyways, I don’t think you should worry!

Perhaps that’s it. All very confusing! Thank you :smile:
(Original post by 9882)Perhaps that’s it. All very confusing! Thank you :smile:

Congrats 9882! Did you do your Master’s in Cambridge?
@9882 financial aspect is also a part of the conditions.
Reply 95
Original post by Childrensbooks
(Original post by 9882)Perhaps that’s it. All very confusing! Thank you :smile:

Congrats 9882! Did you do your Master’s in Cambridge?

No Leeds
Reply 96
Original post by Ripon92
@9882 financial aspect is also a part of the conditions.

I need to know as much from them as they do from me on that one :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by xingyun
Submitted my application on October 3rd. Did an interview with my supervisor on January 11th. Still have not yet heard my decision back. Application status has been stayed at "under review by degree committee" for about 3 months now and the overall submission has been done about 4 months now.

(Probably have checked the application status page for thousands of times... lol)

Hope this information helps.

All the best wishes for everyone who applied this year! We will all make it happen! :h:

Applied October 3rd
Interviewed January 11th
GAO February 6th
Offer Made February 20th
i had an email from education's graduate office. they said all documents of my application are in order (i was worried after 2,5 months in under review) and i will see an update to the applicant portal by the end of next week at the latest. so one more week full of anxiety!!

Has anyone heard from the department by emails recently?
Original post by twinpower
i had an email from education's graduate office. they said all documents of my application are in order (i was worried after 2,5 months in under review) and i will see an update to the applicant portal by the end of next week at the latest. so one more week full of anxiety!!

Thank you very much! Nearly there!

May I ask when you submitted and which precise group are you applying for, please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending