The Student Room Group

Are reptiles aquatic or terrestrial organisms??

as above.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
terrestrial, amphibians are aquatic.
Original post by foxstudy
as above.

Thought reptiles usually crawled on land.
do you think they could be present in water too?:hmmmm:
Reply 3
Original post by Max1989

I thought amphibians are, when young, aquatic but as they grow older they become terrestrial.
I thought amphibians are, when young, aquatic but as they grow older they become terrestrial.

In the case of frogs yeah...but there's a reason why they are amphi...both
Reply 5

The whole point of amphibians is that they must keep their skin moist so that they do not dry out and therefore must submerge in water/live in humid climates.
Reply 6
Original post by Max1989
The whole point of amphibians is that they must keep their skin moist so that they do not dry out and therefore must submerge in water/live in humid climates.

Original post by Spannerin'moi

But yeah they are kinda both, but reptiles are very much terrestrial.
Reply 7
Original post by Max1989

Original post by Spannerin'moi

Ahh makes more sense, thank you !
as above.

Reptiles can be land-based (tortoises, lizards) or water-based (alligators, crocodiles, turtles).
Original post by Max1989

Yet there are always exceptions...for instance crocodiles are semi aquatic yet they aren't amphibians but reptiles...
Original post by Max1989

Perhaps you could explain crocodiles, alligators and turtles, which are all reptiles and all live in water, then?
Original post by Good bloke
Reptiles can be land-based (tortoises, lizards) or water-based (alligators, crocodiles, turtles).

That's in a gist!
Perhaps you could explain crocodiles, alligators and turtles, which are all reptiles and all live in water, then?

Turtles are amphibians, crocodiles and alligators are an exception, they are reptiles as they do not 'need' to be in water, it's just their hunting style and bodies has developed to utilize water, they can quiet happily survive without it but they would probably fail at hunting.
Original post by Max1989
Turtles are amphibians, crocodiles and alligators are an exception, they are reptiles as they do not 'need' to be in water, it's just their hunting style and bodies has developed to utilize water, they can quiet happily survive without it but they would probably fail at hunting.

I didn't say reptiles cannot go in water, it is just they are land dwelling animals, humans can go in water but live on land.
Original post by Max1989
Turtles are amphibians

Er, no. They are reptiles. You have not studied much biology, have you?
Original post by Max1989
I didn't say reptiles cannot go in water, it is just they are land dwelling animals

Turtles spend most of their lives in water.
Original post by Max1989
I didn't say reptiles cannot go in water, it is just they are land dwelling animals, humans can go in water but live on land.

Aside from some of the other examples listed, you’ve clearly never heard of sea snakes.

That people can get such a basic question wrong shows how poor science education is in this country,
Er, no. They are reptiles. You have not studied much biology, have you?

Yeah I sorry that my mistake, they are indeed reptiles but they do live a lot in water and have developed to live in water, so are a bit of a on the fence species, sorry. And we do not cover animal types in biology, I am not a vet, just going off intuition.
Original post by Violet Femme
Aside from some of the other examples listed, you’ve clearly never heard of sea snakes.

That people can get such a basic question wrong shows how poor science education is in this country,

Indeeds, there are exceptions.
Original post by Max1989
so are a bit of a on the fence species,

You are thinking of birds, which perch on fences frequently. I would pay good money to see a turtle on a fence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending