The Student Room Group

gcse

do u have to do English lit GCSE or can u do the other and what's in the other? do u have to remember rpoems for both??
Reply 1
Original post by csh19120522
do u have to do English lit GCSE or can u do the other and what's in the other? do u have to remember rpoems for both??

Are you talking about English lit and English language
Original post by Soph65
Are you talking about English lit and English language

yeah, which has poems and which doesn't?? I wanna do English but I dread to have to study 15!! poems!!
Reply 3
yeah, which has poems and which doesn't?? I wanna do English but I dread to have to study 15!! poems!!

English lit has poetry
Original post by Soph65
English lit has poetry

what is the other then? do I have to do English lit or can I just do English language?
Reply 5

You have to do both what year are you
Original post by Soph65
You have to do both what year are you

8 ATM but im panicking it's so confusing, I get good grades (set 1 maths and English) but im so worried
Reply 7
what is the other then? do I have to do English lit or can I just do English language?

You have to both English lit is all the book you’ve learnt and poetry and English language is all about how you write and spell and use grammar

Language is reading and responding to texts, both fiction and non-fiction. It also includes a non-fiction and fiction writing section. Paper 1 language is fiction, 2 is non-fiction.
Literature is poems, both cluster ("power and conflict" or "love and relationships") and unseen, a Shakespeare text, 19th century novel, modern text.
Paper 1 is is Shakespeare and 19th century, 2 is modern text, cluster poetry, unseen poetry.

I enjoy both and I don't think it's particularly difficult to remember the poems, they are mostly all quite good. Cluster poetry - you get given one poem in the exam, you just have to remember quotes for another to compare it to based on themes, ideas, language, structure etc.

I don't know if you can just do one or the other, that will depend on your school's policy if allowed in the first place.

(This is AQA, I am not familiar with other exam boards for English.)
Reply 9
8 ATM but im panicking it's so confusing, I get good grades (set 1 maths and English) but im so worried

The best advise that I have just been given is that once you have done something in your lession you should revise it when you get home but I’m in year 11 and have only just been told this you shouldn’t really worry about GCSEs until end of year 9 year 10 is a important year
Reply 10
Original post by mchristopher
Language is reading and responding to texts, both fiction and non-fiction. It also includes a non-fiction and fiction writing section. Paper 1 language is fiction, 2 is non-fiction.
Literature is poems, both cluster ("power and conflict" or "love and relationships") and unseen, a Shakespeare text, 19th century novel, modern text.
Paper 1 is is Shakespeare and 19th century, 2 is modern text, cluster poetry, unseen poetry.

I enjoy both and I don't think it's particularly difficult to remember the poems, they are mostly all quite good. Cluster poetry - you get given one poem in the exam, you just have to remember quotes for another to compare it to based on themes, ideas, language, structure etc.

I don't know if you can just do one or the other, that will depend on your school's policy if allowed in the first place.

I think you have to do both
Original post by mchristopher

thanks, are u sure Lang doesn't ask for stuff like *what's a verb* etc ?? and I really hope I don't have to do literature 😔 I want to devote my time to important things like maths and sciences 😣😣
Reply 12
thanks, are u sure Lang doesn't ask for stuff like *what's a verb* etc ?? and I really hope I don't have to do literature 😔 I want to devote my time to important things like maths and sciences 😣😣

I’m sure
Original post by Soph65
I’m sure

that's ok then, it's just that poem one I need to worry about and maths ofc, im fine in science atm, doing well in maths apparently as in highest set but work is getting harder as I don't study as I've always been told im a "gifted child" 🙄

Nope: (AQA):

P1:
Write 4 things from a text [4]
How is language used in an extract [8]
How is structure used to interest readers [8]
Do you agree with this statement about this part of the text? [20]
Write a ____ [24+16] Fiction

P2:
Pick 4 things that are true [4]
Summarise some things [8]
How is language used in this part of the text? [12]
Compare how writers convey attitudes towards ___ [16]
Write a ______ [24+16] Non-fiction

These may vary, examples from
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/november/AQA-87001-QP-NOV17-CR.PDF
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/november/AQA-87002-QP-NOV17.PDF

You will of course need to reference techniques and use vocabulary, but it's more than "what's a verb?"
Original post by sdr981
Nope: (AQA):

P1:
Write 4 things from a text [4]
How is language used in an extract [8]
How is structure used to interest readers [8]
Do you agree with this statement about this part of the text? [20]
Write a ____ [24+16] Fiction

P2:
Pick 4 things that are true [4]
Summarise some things [8]
How is language used in this part of the text? [12]
Compare how writers convey attitudes towards ___ [16]
Write a ______ [24+16] Non-fiction

These may vary, examples from
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/november/AQA-87001-QP-NOV17-CR.PDF
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/november/AQA-87002-QP-NOV17.PDF

You will of course need to reference techniques and use vocabulary, but it's more than "what's a verb?"

haha thanks

Quick Reply

Latest