The Student Room Group

Late 20's and failing to secure long term career/job - anyone you know in same boat?

I have struggled to be honest. I have not worked much since graduating in 2013. And have no real social interactions because everyone has graduated and many are working etc. I have worked for about a year and a half since graduating, not managed to stay in a job for long term. I have had quite a few jobs by now. The recurring theme is that I have not managed to settle into a job for one reason or another.

Do you know many people in this situation? The problem is, because of my circumstances I am finding it difficult to convince employers to give me an opportunity.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by James.Carnell
I have struggled to be honest. I have not worked much since graduating in 2013. And have no real social interactions because everyone has graduated and many are working etc. I have worked for about a year and a half since graduating, not managed to stay in a job for long term. I have had quite a few jobs by now. The recurring theme is that I have not managed to settle into a job for one reason or another.

Do you know many people in this situation? The problem is, because of my circumstances I am finding it difficult to convince employers to give me an opportunity.

What are the circumstances that you talk about in your final sentence, if you don't mind me asking?

It is common to go through several jobs within your lifetime as you figure out what you want to do, but you mention that you find it hard to settle in. Is it the work environment or the field you are working in?

It can be hard to maintain friendships after you graduated. I find a lot of people I met at uni I no longer talk to regularly and those who were good friends, I find it hard to schedule a time when we are both free (due to my work schedule). Have you tried to reach out to your friends to see if they are free to talk/meet up? Have you considered doing some volunteering in the meantime to put something on your CV, get a good reference and meet new people?
yeah thats me, pretty much the same story. been in and out of jobs since leaving uni almost 8 years ago. its sad because i really dreamed big and had the determination to succeed so i really feel like a let down that i haven't achieved what i planned to achieve all those years ago. i wouldn't even say i am remotely successful and am now simply working to live, in a job that brings me no fulfilment and is only a part time job as well.
i honestly don't even think i care anymore to be honest with you and have just come to accept that this is how life is going to be for me now.
Maybe your not suited to working for others.

I went through 2 jobs quickly after graduating.. both times having problems with my boss.. my wife went through 3, hating all of them. We got fed up, so just decided to go and do our own thing.. 4 years later it's been the best decision we ever made. We work for ourselves, have a few employees across our two businesses, and have control over our lives/,money.. it's a great feeling to think that the amount of money I'll make this year is entirely dependant on how hard I work and how clever I can be.. not some set wage scale or what someone else thinks I am worth.

I have no doubt I would still be struggling along if jobs were my only choice.

Sometimes if your not thriving it's good to change yourself to better fit with your environment.. but sometimes it's more effective just to change your environment to one that fits you more
There seems to be a somewhat pervasive attitidue in our generation that we ought to have a career that involves prestige, money and 'has an impact'. In fact, most people don't have careers, they have jobs. So you're fine.
what do you mean by not settling?

I'm not surprised you can't find work if you've failed to hold anything down for so long tbh. Can you take on a voluntary role and stick that out for several months and you can then explain the gap as being due to personal circumstances that are resolved as demonstrated by your recent commitments to x role.
It's easier to get a job when already working than from not, so I'd get any job at all and stick it out whilst taking the time to really sit down and work out where you want to be career - wise and plan for how you are going to get there. Make sure that you are realistic in your expectations and the time frame that you set yourself for achieving your goals.
Original post by Ridgerunner
It's easier to get a job when already working than from not, so I'd get any job at all and stick it out whilst taking the time to really sit down and work out where you want to be career - wise and plan for how you are going to get there. Make sure that you are realistic in your expectations and the time frame that you set yourself for achieving your goals.

Yeah, i've been getting interviews , just gotta keep trying.
why not just go travelling for a year. get some money and travel do a working holiday etc. u.s. traineeship in a field relevaent to whatever u studied
Reply 9
I think a lot of people are in your position. You graduated at a nightmare time for finding work (especially if you would have had to move). Hopefully a lot of others have read your post and seen that others are in the same position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending