The Student Room Group

Art gcse

Hey I’m thinking of doing art gcse because I have to hand in the form very very soon and I was wondering if I could have some feedback on what’s In store for art? I’m very exited, just not sure what I would have to do. So if you have any sort of information about gcse art it would really help x thx
I really enjoyed art GCSE, there's a lot of work - a lot of art needed (volume-wise). But you get to do a lot of different projects. You still need to do some written work on researching artists for each project. But it's quite a nice option to take because it gives you a breather from all the other academic writing-focused GCSEs.
Don't do it. Trust me you are going to get depression. At first, I loved art as well, but that was before I found out what GCSE art really was. There are deadlines and you can't do what you want. It is so time-consuming that you will fail your other subjects. I had to drop GCSE art in yr 11 so I can stand a chance of passing everything else. Trust me, I am literally being honest and hope you don't do art. It will ruin you and you will hate it as well. Please inform me of your other subjects but take it from me don't do it. I just dropped it as I was starting to cry a lot and was bunking school. And I'm a boy.
Original post by Grace2005
Hey I’m thinking of doing art gcse because I have to hand in the form very very soon and I was wondering if I could have some feedback on what’s In store for art? I’m very exited, just not sure what I would have to do. So if you have any sort of information about gcse art it would really help x thx

Art is a hard GCSE to get a high grade in it. A lot of people take it because they think that it's one of the easier GCSE subjects since it's a creative one and the exam isn't a written one. However, the sheer quantity of work you have to put in is extremely high, and you have to put a lot of thought into your analyses and annotations or both your art and the artist's work.

The format of the GCSE (at least for the board I'm with) is that you have to create a final piece and provide a ton of supporting evidence (usually in a sketchbook) showing the thought processes and research behind your final piece. Then in January of your exam year, you get given the exam paper, where the examiner sets you several possible titles for another final piece. You then have to go about much the same process, researching and exploring the theme, doing both your own work and looking at other artists also interested in the same theme. Finally, you have to be ready to produce a final piece in a 10-hour exam.

Now I've probably made this sound quite daunting, so here some advantages of art as a GCSE. It's a creative subject, so it can make a really nice change of pace from your other lessons. This is something that I really enjoy about it. You also get to improve your artistic skills, which is a big plus, and you get to pick the theme of your first final piece and the accompanying work (I want to put extra stress on this, so that if your teacher chooses a title for you that feel isn't right for you, you should talk to someone higher up in the school, although you should bear in mind that your teacher does have more experience). Finally, art is a highly valued subject at uni. Of course, it depends on the course you want to take, but as applicants are getting ever-higher grades in STEM subjects, applicants that also have the ability to think creatively as well are highly valued.

Hope this helps, and at the end of the day, the decision is down to you, but I would highly recommend that you go for it since you like art, but just bear in mind the workload, which is at its peak at the same time that you need to start serious revision for other academic subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by anrandomguy
Art is a hard GCSE to get a high grade in it. A lot of people take it because they think that it's one of the easier GCSE subjects since it's a creative one and the exam isn't a written one. However, the sheer quantity of work you have to put in is extremely high, and you have to put a lot of thought into your analyses and annotations or both your art and the artist's work.

The format of the GCSE (at least for the board I'm with) is that you have to create a final piece and provide a ton of supporting evidence (usually in a sketchbook) showing the thought processes and research behind your final piece. Then in January of your exam year, you get given the exam paper, where the examiner sets you several possible titles for another final piece. You then have to go about much the same process, researching and exploring the theme, doing both your own work and looking at other artists also interested in the same theme. Finally, you have to be ready to produce a final piece in a 10-hour exam.

Now I've probably made this sound quite daunting, so here some advantages of art as a GCSE. It's a creative subject, so it can make a really nice change of pace from your other lessons. This is something that I really enjoy about it. You also get to improve your artistic skills, which is a big plus, and you get to pick the theme of your first final piece and the accompanying work (I want to put extra stress on this, so that if your teacher chooses a title for you that feel isn't right for you, you should talk to someone higher up in the school, although you should bear in mind that your teacher does have more experience). Finally, art is a highly valued subject at uni. Of course, it depends on the course you want to take, but as applicants are getting ever-higher grades in STEM subjects, applicants that also have the ability to think creatively as well are highly valued.

Hope this helps, and at the end of the day, the decision is down to you, but I would highly recommend that you go for it since you like art, but just bear in mind the workload, which is at its peak at the same time that you need to start serious revision for other academic subjects.

Thank you so much, I was wondering if you could maybe tell me the topics the offer ? X
Original post by arahman5166
Don't do it. Trust me you are going to get depression. At first, I loved art as well, but that was before I found out what GCSE art really was. There are deadlines and you can't do what you want. It is so time-consuming that you will fail your other subjects. I had to drop GCSE art in yr 11 so I can stand a chance of passing everything else. Trust me, I am literally being honest and hope you don't do art. It will ruin you and you will hate it as well. Please inform me of your other subjects but take it from me don't do it. I just dropped it as I was starting to cry a lot and was bunking school. And I'm a boy.

This is so funny ngl 😂😂

Ive read the reply’s you’ve got so far and I hope you take no notice of them at all. Art was my absolute favourite and easiest subject at GCSE and you don’t even need to be good at art honestly. The quality of your work is not even an assessment objective it’s more about a journey of learning and practicing your art and coming towards a final piece. At my school, apart from the final one obviously, there were no deadlines and it was super fun because we got to do all kinds of new things I’d never done before like silk painting and printmaking and oil painting
you should for sure do it !!!!
I got an 8 and I’m not even that good so ...
All these people saying art was really difficult :rolleyes:

Honestly, I loved GCSE art. There is a lot more to it than just making art, you do have to show your research progress and how your work has developed from it but it isn't as bad as people are making it out to be at all. The only downfall for me is that it was of little practical use, as it wasn't what I wanted to get into.

If you're genuinely passionate about it then I would say absolutely do it. If you're doing it because you think it's easy or you kind of like it then I would not recommend it. I love art and I've gone on to do it at A-level, admittedly I've had a few times where I've hated the GCSE with a passion because of analysis writing and the amount of time it demands but in the end I came out with some really nice memories, lessons learned, and good pieces of work. One thing to keep in mind would be which teacher you would have as it can have a big impact on how enjoyable your lessons are. I've had some really wonderful teachers in the past but I know other people have had less luck. The GCSE isn't great for everyone, I really enjoyed it but other people in my class found that they hated it. In the end I'd say follow your instincts with it and be willing to spend a lot of time and effort on it if you do take it. Good luck!
Trust me, you'll regret it. Come back in 2 years time and prove me wrong. Whatever happens good luck to you and any other brave souls that pick it, your in for a rough time.
I don't do it, but every single person in my year (Y11) doing art or graphics is so so stressed all the time. There is so much work to be done, which will mean giving up a lot of ur free time, lunches, and having late nights and early mornings. If u really love art and are prepared to give up that much of ur time, go for it, especially if u are thinking about it for a career
please, dont take art for gcse. its very hard to achieve a good grade in and its so much work. people think it's easy but it's so time consuming and requires effort. unless you're willing to stay up late and give up your free time and pursue a career in art, i strongly suggest you do not take art. you basically have no freedom and have to stick to a *****y theme. you may think it's easy but it's really not. please reconsider your choice. there's a 10 hour exam aswell, mind you. and it also requires quite a bit of writing; nnotations, artist studies and project evaluations. dreadful. biggest regret of my life!
I don’t know if it’s just me but honestly, its not as bad as everyone says
Reply 13
Yeah it’s reallt not that bad, people make it seem like hell. It’s not all fun but it’s probably my favourite subject
Original post by omre
I don’t know if it’s just me but honestly, its not as bad as everyone says
oh man oh man art gcse is the bane of my life
please do not take it if you value your sanity- i even dream about it at this point
the workload is not unmanageable but requires A LOT of organisation and it's just awful

I am going into year 10. I started the gcse art course in yr9 and will do the final exam in yr 10 as i do triple science. At the moment i enjoy art as our school have a big faculty with teachers who are actually helping us. There is a big workload as I also get a lot of homework from triple scince and spanish.
Do art if u actually enjoy it because thiss will be the homework that can either be depressing or a nice peaceful homework

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending