The Student Room Group

What is wrong with Prostitution?

I do not get why this is illegal. I would not use them personally but that is me. It is human nature for people to want to have sex. If one wants to pay another for their service, who is the government to say "no, this transaction can not take place". Same with the sex for rent thing, It is an individual decision an adult over the age of 18 is competent enough to make. It makes no sense to allocate this power to government.

Scroll to see replies

it's an unhealthy career and not good for people around them. imagine your child asking what is your job mummy. what would you say.
Original post by 4/19
I do not get why this is illegal. I would not use them personally but that is me. It is human nature for people to want to have sex. If one wants to pay another for their service, who is the government to say "no, this transaction can not take place". Same with the sex for rent thing, It is an individual decision an adult over the age of 18 is competent enough to make. It makes no sense to allocate this power to government.

It isnt illegal.
Adult own free will, then thats their choice.
Trafficked person , then not their choice.
I agree.
In some Scandinavian countries (like Sweden), it's paradoxically legal for a woman to sell sex but illegal for a man to buy her services, thus "protecting" her from any mishaps or exploitation which may occur as she could easily go to the police without getting in trouble herself.
I definitely agree prostitution should be legal though. It works in Austria and the Netherlands.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
It isnt illegal.
Adult own free will, then thats their choice.
Trafficked person , then not their choice.

I am not a lawyer but it is a grey area
Agree
Original post by 4/19
I am not a lawyer but it is a grey area

Not really. the act itself is legal. Associated activities like brothels, trafficking, pimping, kerb crawling are not.

In the UK, people are legally allowed to pay for sex if the person is over 18 and hasn’t been forced into prostitution. In Northern Ireland, it is illegal to buy sex. But it is illegal to: Advertise in phone boxes Kerb crawl (approach people in public to ask them for sex) Rent or allow a property to be used as a brothel Exploit someone selling sex, for example by using force, threats, deception or other forms of coercion Traffic people to the UK or around the UK for sex
Reply 7
Original post by tesconyc
it's an unhealthy career and not good for people around them. imagine your child asking what is your job mummy. what would you say.

I would not disagree. Lots of things are negative. Making bad choices is a consequence of freedom
Easier to get raped really
It's not illegal in the UK.

When done legally, there are risks, but that's like most things; if someone is desperate and doing it for a fiver, then I'd feel quite sad for them. But when it's done properly and hundreds are being paid, I think it's all good.
Original post by angelinahx
I agree.
In some Scandinavian countries (like Sweden), it's paradoxically legal for a woman to sell sex but illegal for a man to buy her services, thus "protecting" her from any mishaps or exploitation which may occur as she could easily go to the police without getting in trouble herself.
I definitely agree prostitution should be legal though. It works in Austria and the Netherlands.

How is that paradoxical?

And no, it really doesn't "work". In any sense of the word.
Luke, I am your mother!
It's haram
I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with prostitution - just goes to show that the prostitute doesn't have much self-worth.
Original post by NotNotBatman
It's not illegal in the UK.

When done legally, there are risks, but that's like most things; if someone is desperate and doing it for a fiver, then I'd feel quite sad for them. But when it's done properly and hundreds are being paid, I think it's all good.

Just out of interest, what do you mean by "when it's done properly"?

What is wrong with prostitution is that the majority of people who turn to it do so out desperation. There are very few who do it purely because they enjoy sex. It is not safe, and it puts people who are already vulnerable at more risk. Saying it's is a choice is about as naive as saying a working class child has the same chances of becoming a lawyer as the child who goes to a top private school.
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous

What is wrong with prostitution is that the majority of people who turn to it do so out desperation. There are very few who do it purely because they enjoy sex. It is not safe, and it puts people who are already vulnerable at more risk. Saying it's is a choice is about as naive as saying a working class child has the same chances of becoming a lawyer as the child who goes to a top private school.

In the modern day it pretty much is a choice
Original post by 4/19
In the modern day it pretty much is a choice

It is not. Not even in 1st world countries.
Original post by Anonymous

When it's done legally, without any coercion. I'd feel sorry for those who are doing it out of severe desperation for drugs or to put food on the table for kids because you lost your job, but I wouldn't object to it.
Original post by NotNotBatman
When it's done legally, without any coercion. I'd feel sorry for those who are doing it out of severe desperation for drugs or to put food on the table for kids because you lost your job, but I wouldn't object to it.

And this is precisely what is wrong with prostitution.
Original post by 4/19

Its immoral and most people who work in that industry end up being worse off mentally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending