The Student Room Group

IS bride has her UK citizenship REVOKED

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karl pilkington
*their

also her mother is Bangladeshi so they obv took legal advice that she wouldn't be stateless as she can claim Bangladeshi citizenship.

Yes but Bangladesh technically requires its citizens to have permission in order have dual citizenship and as I said earlier many countries require (at last adults) to formally request citizenship by descent (so they can vet people on character grounds and subject such request to its governments discretion) so if she was never actively a Bangladeshi citizen I can see the Bangladesh government refusing to recognise her as a citizen especially in this case as it would end up being responsible for the baby and they may see it as setting a bad precedent.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
There’s so much conflicting information around. Other places are saying she neither has a Bangladeshi passport and that’s she’s never been to the country.

True, if she does not have Bangladeshi citizenship (which by the sounds of it, doesn't look like it) then Sajid Javid shot himself in the foot a little as he did an illegal act under international law which is making her stateless
Original post by 999tigger
Never seen it mentioned before. That seems enough.

I thought she was born in the UK as well. Needless to say that I am DISTRAUGHT about the decision. I don’t know how I will cope.
Original post by ANM775
if she flies in after it's been revoked they'll probably fly her straight out again.

Not really as she still entered Turkey most likely from a flight that originated from the UK if she ends up in Turkey without a valid visa they are in well within there rights to require the airline which brought her to the country to take her back to where ever she came from which will be the UK regardless if she is a citizen or not.
Original post by YaliaV
I thought she was born in the UK as well. Needless to say that I am DISTRAUGHT about the decision. I don’t know how I will cope.

The consensus was she was born here and it would end up her being stateless with passport revocation. Lots of legal experts had said the same, but not many people knew about the Bangladesh connection. I'm glad on a number of levels.

1. She doesnt get rewarded for betraying the country, especially as there were no regrets.
2. No security threat.
3. Probably saved hundreds of thousands of £ if not more from security services and other public means we no longer have to provide. I hope they check on the other ISIS returnees and revoke if they can.
Original post by 999tigger
The consensus was she was born here and it would end up her being stateless with passport revocation. Lots of legal experts had said the same, but not many people knew about the Bangladesh connection. I'm glad on a number of levels.

1. She doesnt get rewarded for betraying the country, especially as there were no regrets.
2. No security threat.
3. Probably saved hundreds of thousands of £ if not more from security services and other public means we no longer have to provide. I hope they check on the other ISIS returnees and revoke if they can.

I think they need to be tough because there should be consequences. People were saying that she hasn’t committed a crime, but we don’t know that. She could have been indirectly responsible for murders, even if she didn’t pull the trigger herself.

I do wonder about her parents as well. She must have had a pretty terrible upbringing to be attracted to that way of life. I hope they don’t receive custody of her child.
Original post by YaliaV
I think they need to be tough because there should be consequences. People were saying that she hasn’t committed a crime, but we don’t know that. She could have been indirectly responsible for murders, even if she didn’t pull the trigger herself.

I do wonder about her parents as well. She must have had a pretty terrible upbringing to be attracted to that way of life. I hope they don’t receive custody of her child.

Politically the govt would have been seen as weak if they had to accept her back even though legally they may have been forced to.
Original post by YaliaV

Joining an illegal organisation is in itself a crime
Original post by Underscore__
Joining an illegal organisation is in itself a crime

Yes but I suspect ISIS isn’t the sort of organisation with application forms, subscriptions and membership cards. Proving membership will be about finding admissible evidence of self-identification as a member.
Lol you've all been taken in by media sensationalism! 😀

She hasn't had her citizenship revoked

He's just intending to revoke and set the ball rolling but the appeals court decides the final outcome:

Begum has 28 days from when the order was made to appeal to the Special Immigration Appeals Commission against Javid’s interpretation of his powers.

The move is likely to prove highly controversial, with legal sources claiming on Tuesday night that the commission had thrown out previous attempts by the government in similar circumstances to strip citizenship.

The human rights campaign group Liberty said Javid must observe the “fundamental principles of due process and the rule of law upon which we all rely”, while meeting his obligation to keep the public safe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/19/isis-briton-shamima-begum-to-have-uk-citizenship-revoked
(edited 5 years ago)
This was a vicious witch-hunt by people who wanted to show off their moral superiority
and show how "British" they are so they could boost their pathetic ego and feel better about themselves for 5 minutes.
This was a vicious witch hunt by people who wanted to show off their moral superiority and show how "British" they are so they could boost their pathetic ego and feel better about themselves for 5 minutes.

It just shows how pathetic the "British" identity is and how pathetic nationalistic people are.
Reply 72
I feel bad for the baby
If they do a legal challenge will she keep producing intensely memey content? 'cause I'm low key gonna miss things like this:
Now the government can use this as a precedent to strip people of their citizenship if they go abroad and want to exile them for any reason.
Reply 75
Excellent
Original post by TheNamesBond.
On a more distressing note, Tunisia has taken back 1,000 terrorists, they will be returning from the conflict zone.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/as-the-uk-debates-what-to-do-with-isis-suspects-one-country-has-taken-back-1000-terrorists/ar-BBTNlmG?li=AAnZ9Ug

8760E15C-1509-4A7E-B3BE-1E970E3AAD2D.jpeg

We’ve taken back 200+. Not as much as Tunisia but a lot of those ones went for financial reasons so they aren’t as dangerous.
Reply 77
Excellent

Original post by Nalk1573
This was a vicious witch hunt by people who wanted to show off their moral superiority and show how "British" they are so they could boost their pathetic ego and feel better about themselves for 5 minutes.

It just shows how pathetic the "British" identity is and how pathetic nationalistic people are.

What are you talking about? Did you listen carefully to what Shamima Begum has been saying? Why do so many people think that Britain does not need borders or rules of law and anti-terrorism laws?
Reply 78
Shame the baby can't be brought to the UK... still has British citizenship and deserves a decent chance at life, and having a mother with her views, in the situation she's in, isn't likely to provide that.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Thank fu*k is all I’ve got to say really.

Besides that, the family of Shamima will be challenging this decision, who do they think they are, your daughters a risk to our countries security, do you think we’re going to be sympathetic to your scenario and risk lives of our own here on UK soil? No.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHwaoNViXmI

The father is a follower of a certain Mr Choudry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending