The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford BSG MPP 2019

Hi Guys,

Wondering who all applied for 2019 MPP at the Blavatnik School of Government and awaiting the admission outcome? Apparently it has been fairly quiet this year, virtually no activity here. Anyway, let the forum begin. Cheers!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by PubPol
Hi Guys,

Wondering who all applied for 2019 MPP at the Blavatnik School of Government and awaiting the admission outcome? Apparently it has been fairly quiet this year, virtually no activity here. Anyway, let the forum begin. Cheers!

Hi, i'm applying too. You also get from the bsg email saying the decision should be communicated to you no later than 22 March 2019, right? Just wondering if anyone got different schemes hehe..
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by Ahemside
Hi, i'm applying too. You also get from the bsg email saying the decision should be communicated to you no later than 22 March 2019, right? Just wondering if anyone got different schemes hehe..

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

I got two emails from [email protected]

1st one on 25th Jan (when I applied) confirm the submission of my application
2nd one on 31st Jan stating my application is now ready for assessment and will be considered in the January deadline

Can you pls check if you received emails from BSG or Graduate Admissions? Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by PubPol
Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

I got two emails from [email protected]

1st one on 25th Jan (when I applied) confirm the submission of my application
2nd one on 31st Jan stating my application is now ready for assessment and will be considered in the January deadline

Can you pls check if you received emails from BSG or Graduate Admissions? Thanks

I submitted my application on 21th Jan without the references submitted, then i got the automatic email from [email protected] saying application submitted.
On 24th Jan after my references completed, there was the automatic email again from the graduate admissions told that the application ready for assessment as part of the January deadline. And then at night on the same day, I was a little bit surprised receiving email from BSG saying application received, containing messages 'Your application will now be prepared for assessment by our Admissions Committee and a decision should be communicated to you no later than 22 March 2019'. Is that generic email for everyone? Did you get this too?
Reply 4
Didn’t receive the one that mentioned 22nd March timeline. Now wondering why? Do you think it’s a good idea to check with the school and clarify?
Hey! I also only received two emails, one on the 25th, the other on the 31st. No mention of the 22 March outcome day.
Reply 6
I guess it’s fine as long as your self-service status says: ready for assessment under January deadline.
Reply 7
I guess it is because my IELTS do not meet the higher level test scores, so they sent that email. It actually explained some about the evidence of English language proficiency. I'm actually worry about my IELTS from the early stage and i think i'm gonna take IBT, i'm now preparing for it.

You guys, just don't worry if you feel confidence with your applications.
Honestly, the Oxford MPP is the only program I applied for, since I would be fresh out of undergrad and most MPP programs in the U.S and the U.K seem to express a much stronger preference for those who have worked a couple of years. Still thinking if I should also apply for LSE, but I seem to be really late to the game. Just wondering, but have you guys already heard back from other grad programs?
Reply 9
Hey! I also applied this year. Haven't heard anything yet. I'm really nervous. Do you guys know if its possible to upload new IELTS results at this point? I see the system allows it but I'm not quite sure they would consider them at this point.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by KSSA27
Hey! I also applied this year. Haven't heard anything yet. I'm really nervous. Do you guys know if its possible to upload new IELTS results at this point? I see the system allows it but I'm not quite sure they would consider them at this point.

I think excitement is the right word not nervousness. I think you should write to BSG admissions ASAP and inform them about your new IELTS score. Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by citizen2019
Honestly, the Oxford MPP is the only program I applied for, since I would be fresh out of undergrad and most MPP programs in the U.S and the U.K seem to express a much stronger preference for those who have worked a couple of years. Still thinking if I should also apply for LSE, but I seem to be really late to the game. Just wondering, but have you guys already heard back from other grad programs?

Your first line summaries the problem as well as the solution to it. Being an applied degree it is important to have a few years of work experience behind you before you consider an MPP/MPA and make best use of the opportunity. Have heard back from Sussex, UCL, LSE in early January with unconditional offers but then I have several years of public as well as private sector experience and spent solid 3 months for essay preparation and had informed my referees to write my LoRs 2 years ago. As far as your question for LSE goes, if finance is not a barrier for you then do not waste time in thinking, just apply. Not to discourage you at this point in time, but if you pause, reflect and work for a few years and then apply for an MPP/MPA you will be doing yourself and those who you will work for, a great service. Thanks.
Reply 12
Original post by Ahemside
I guess it is because my IELTS do not meet the higher level test scores, so they sent that email. It actually explained some about the evidence of English language proficiency. I'm actually worry about my IELTS from the early stage and i think i'm gonna take IBT, i'm now preparing for it.

You guys, just don't worry if you feel confidence with your applications.

Hi there, good to hear that you are retaking IELTS, I think English proficiency is not a selection criteria but more of a University wide requirement and as long as you achieve the minimum score you will be totally fine. Also that you are reaching out to the admissions team and putting in efforts to improve your score might be looked favorably (assuming all other parts of application are well taken care of). Best wishes for your application, thanks.
Any update?
They emailed to say that decisions should be released on or before Mar 22. Based on timescales of cohorts to come before us, think everyone would only know around that time- but correct me if I'm wrong.
Original post by MPP2019Applicant
Any update?
When did they send you an email?
Original post by citizen2019
They emailed to say that decisions should be released on or before Mar 22. Based on timescales of cohorts to come before us, think everyone would only know around that time- but correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 16
I received that email on 22 Feb.
When did they send you an email?
Anyone get an interview?
Anyone get an interview?

No one will be interviewed on MPP BSG admissions process. The MPP FAQ saying this:
"No, applicants interviews are not usually conducted as part of our admissions process. If we’d like further information at the time of assessing your application, we may get in touch via email to request this from you."
https://www.bsg.ox.ac.uk/study/mpp/mpp-faq

Btw, did you get email saying the 22 march outcome too?
I got the email about the March 22 outcome on the 28th of Jan, but I haven’t heard back from them since then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending