The Student Room Group

Job roles in the Digital sector

There has been a lot of reports in the press of late regarding investment being made in the Digital sector. Obviously this sector is extremely broad, so what specific skills are going to be in demand by employers? What job roles are going to be the most advertised over the next few years?
Reply 1
All digital skills will be beneficial in the future. It's always growing.

However my guesswork would be that Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence will be a very highly desired skillset soon, I mean it already is now but even more so.
Good question. My friend suggests UX research/design is the next big thing. I don't know how to get into it though.
(edited 5 years ago)
I had never heard of UX research, but I have just had a look on Google and can see why it may become big.
Reply 4
"Digital" is a buzzword companies are focussing on at the moment and contains a very wide range of things. I suggest having a google of Industry 4.0 and the Digital Revolution/Transformation if you are after more information.
Original post by Molseh
"Digital" is a buzzword companies are focussing on at the moment and contains a very wide range of things. I suggest having a google of Industry 4.0 and the Digital Revolution/Transformation if you are after more information.

Thanks for that. I will have a read through it.
Original post by Molseh

I agree that digital is a buzzword. My experience suggests it's being used by companies to express that their product exists online in some capacity. It doesn't seem you need a specific interest or strong understanding of digital tech to work in that sector. I'm not even convinced that a 'sector' exists outside of small SME's often running on venture capitalist funding. We had some confusion recently from somebody wanting to get into 'digital marketing' because they felt it related to computer science.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by DuckDodgers
I agree that digital is a buzzword. My experience suggests it's being used by companies to express that their product exists online in some capacity. It doesn't seem you need a specific interest or strong understanding of digital tech to work in that sector. I'm not even convinced that a 'sector' exists outside of small SME's often running on venture capitalist funding. We had some confusion recently from somebody wanting to get into 'digital marketing' because they felt it related to computer science.

I think the confusion arises because the word digital has been adopted by multiple sectors to indicate they are "in the future". As you say, digital is often associated with social media and marketing within companies.
For me, in Industry, since going 'digital' was emphasized by the higher ups a couple of years ago it has focused on us using IoT for predictive maintenance, using a CRM system in sales/customer relations and looking into automation for manufacturing products. This is where opportunities relating to Software Development and other tech based roles are being hired.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending