The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The Slade Applications 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
thankyou! where do you do your foundation?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 81
Swansea, are you on a Foundation course? If not I’d highly recommend it!
Reply 82
Just had a look at your insta, from what I can see your painting is sick. I can’t reccomend doing a Foundation year enough, I know the prospect seems a little tedious but it’s really fun and honestly you get to try so many things you wouldn’t otherwise have the chance to do - in painting or not.
My art instagram has a mix of new, old and in progress work on it and some of it went into my portfolio (mainly more recent work) but not all of it.
Tbh I’m a bit shocked at my invite offer I thought my portfolio wasn’t as good as most other people’s would be, as I didn’t really include any life drawing for example as I’m crap at it, but I think the Slade have proved they’re just a bit unpredictable!
I wouldn't put my work on here and neither will most people on foundation, as most places will specifically tell you not to. Its sort of a shame, as I definitely would've found it helpful whilst doing a levels and researching courses. But many people are wary about having their ideas stolen and such. I would say it's probably not the best idea to look to people who only just got an interview to see what they're looking for - look ahead, look at graduate works and art journals (Frieze, Art review, etc.) as well as the Whitechapel books. From what I can gather Slade and Goldsmiths are both very contemporary, that's what they said on the open day and what most foundation tutors will tell you to do.
Reply 84
Got rejected too ☹️ congratulations to everyone who at least got an interview though! 😊
Reply 85
Original post by arianagrandefan1
I wouldn't put my work on here and neither will most people on foundation, as most places will specifically tell you not to. Its sort of a shame, as I definitely would've found it helpful whilst doing a levels and researching courses. But many people are wary about having their ideas stolen and such. I would say it's probably not the best idea to look to people who only just got an interview to see what they're looking for - look ahead, look at graduate works and art journals (Frieze, Art review, etc.) as well as the Whitechapel books. From what I can gather Slade and Goldsmiths are both very contemporary, that's what they said on the open day and what most foundation tutors will tell you to do.

thankyou, my mum is was foundation course leader and oddly she always says the opposite - get your work on instagram because you absolutely don't know who will see it and offer you work or a commision. Her students used to get lots of interest that way and always says put the link in your personal statement.
i wasn't trying to copy other peoples work - very happy with my own ideas, and of course i spend a lot of time going to exhibitions etc, I just wanted to see what type of work they favoured at selection.... it seems to be a lot about clashing colour (last years show was the same) lots of clashing greens and blush pink with a sharp yellow.
Original post by be.cc.
thankyou, my mum is was foundation course leader and oddly she always says the opposite - get your work on instagram because you absolutely don't know who will see it and offer you work or a commision. Her students used to get lots of interest that way and always says put the link in your personal statement.
i wasn't trying to copy other peoples work - very happy with my own ideas, and of course i spend a lot of time going to exhibitions etc, I just wanted to see what type of work they favoured at selection.... it seems to be a lot about clashing colour (last years show was the same) lots of clashing greens and blush pink with a sharp yellow.

I agree Instagram is good, I meant TSR more specifically. With Instagram, you can keep where you're applying private if you choose to. Whereas, with TSR you are showing your work to people you're directly competing against for a place. I think its quite different. I wasn't saying you specifically, or anyone else on the thread would, I'm just saying its risky lol.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 87
thats good, it would be really great to see some instagam accounts of successful appliants - obs not on here :.)
Original post by be.cc.
thats good, it would be really great to see some instagam accounts of successful appliants - obs not on here :.)

Weird but sometimes I go on location and search the Slade school of art, it's quite easy to find 1st years accounts who've tagged the location on a post. You can just scroll back and look at the work they were making when they applied last year.
Anyone know how long per interview will last? Many thanks
Reply 90
Original post by m01158118
Anyone know how long per interview will last? Many thanks

It says in the email you have to arrive 30 mins early, set up your work with a ‘helper’ and then when you’re happy the 20 minute interview will begin. Then you get a tour of the studios and you’re done.
Original post by Bigboibadboi
Prepare for the most the email is a lie. The students do not help u set up ur work they take it from u and mess it up and put some of it in a pile. You have 10 mins to talk about ur work and 10 mins to answer questions. When on the tour they locked most of the rooms so u could only see 1 tiny dark room and 1 very small printing room in comparison to many other universities. The students looked like tortured souls struggling to survive and trying to pretend it was the best art school in all of England. U don’t really get that much space and everything looked very cramped the finished pieces appeared to be very quick and slap dash. It came to my realisation that the tutors would prefer something poorly made as artistic merit (all to their own). The interviewer laughed at my work and said it was “unoriginal and lacking me” I’m not sure why I was selected for an interview if that was thier opinion. Also whilst talking they run around behind u writing on post it notes like a game of tig trying to hide thier notes from u. The lady interviewing me tried to apologise for what was said but failed drastically they basically bully you in order to see if ur what they are looking for. They do not seem to be aware they are interviewing highly creative people from many different backgrounds and experiences and expect you to be the next Turner prize winning artist as soon as u start ur interview. I highly suggest loooking at all the other art schools that are not the ones at the top of ranking tables and in Russel group universities. The interview process at the slade is very rigorous and boarders the absurd. If all art schools were like this I would fear for what would become of contemporary art and art in the future as this experience is making me reconsider my whole life. The approach of the slade is dire and poor and if they are reading this I hope they make changes otherwise they will fall behind. Xxxxxxxxxxx

Adiditonally when walking around u can tell which artists the students are inspired by so I’m not quiet sure where originality comes from. They have put me in an existential crisis I shall never get out of for the rest of my life. #****theslade

meeeeooooooowww
Idk when you had yours; mine was this morning. Contrary to your experience, for me, they were friendly, forward, and showed investment in understanding my thinking and processes. greeted with a handshake, I was called into the room after my work had been opened and placed, yet allowing me to further assist in the presentation. 10 minutes didn't feel like enough( I went a bit over, to which they were perfectly accommodating). At least one tutor at a time would be taking note, while one sat observing me and a third tutor, I spoke to directly. It was very relaxed actually. I speak from a place of having been through several interviews already and learning to focus on the tone, clarity, and specificity of my speech when talking about the work.
Reply 93
Anyone heard yet?
So curious about what other people’s interview is like. Thinking maybe it’s helpful if we share our experience with each other. I’ll start by sharing mine.

I started by introducing my major work which took about half of the first ten minutes. And with the time left I just briefly went through some other pieces in my portfolio. Then they asked me one or two questions about my portfolio. I only remembered one which was something like ‘how would you show it’.

Then the other ten minutes we sat down and I was asked several site questions. I answered pretty bad I think... I’m pretty sure my answers weren’t impressing as I didn’t prepare well for this part but anyways... That’s pretty much what it’s like with mine. To be honest I feel mine went pretty normal.

From my interview I couldn’t tell a sign if they liked my work or not... What about yours? Anything particularly worth to mention? Thanks
Reply 95
One of the men interviewing me looked exactly like Jerry Saltz the art critic, but with a British accent. Anyone know who he is? Went through all the tutors on their website but couldn’t find him, it’s really bugging me 😂 He seemed to stare right into your soul.
Original post by m01158118
So curious about what other people’s interview is like. Thinking maybe it’s helpful if we share our experience with each other. I’ll start by sharing mine.

I started by introducing my major work which took about half of the first ten minutes. And with the time left I just briefly went through some other pieces in my portfolio. Then they asked me one or two questions about my portfolio. I only remembered one which was something like ‘how would you show it’.

Then the other ten minutes we sat down and I was asked several site questions. I answered pretty bad I think... I’m pretty sure my answers weren’t impressing as I didn’t prepare well for this part but anyways... That’s pretty much what it’s like with mine. To be honest I feel mine went pretty normal.

From my interview I couldn’t tell a sign if they liked my work or not... What about yours? Anything particularly worth to mention? Thanks
Reply 96
Ok so my application status on Portico has changed to “Currently being processed by Admissions”...
Short n bald? might be Gary, I think hes a sculpture tutor.
mine still says received, anyone else?
"currently being processed..."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending