The Student Room Group

What can I cook to impress my boyfriend's family?

All I really know about them is that they're very posh upper class types with a very different idea of fine dining than me. BF has said that he'll help me cook and sort out the flat before they get here but he's not super familiar with the step mum or step sister - he reckons that he probably knows as much as I do about them.
I asked for some basic info so I can figure out what I'll be cooking. BF has told me that the dad HATES Italian food. The step mum is French. The step sister is allergic to black pepper.
I'm pretty good at cooking in general but I mainly only know the recipes I had growing up which is a bizarre mix of Irish food (from mum) and Italian (thanks dad)
What can I cook?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
All I really know about them is that they're very posh upper class types with a very different idea of fine dining than me. BF has said that he'll help me cook and sort out the flat before they get here but he's not super familiar with the step mum or step sister - he reckons that he probably knows as much as I do about them.
I asked for some basic info so I can figure out what I'll be cooking. BF has told me that the dad HATES Italian food. The step mum is French. The step sister is allergic to black pepper.
I'm pretty good at cooking in general but I mainly only know the recipes I had growing up which is a bizarre mix of Irish food (from mum) and Italian (thanks dad)
What can I cook?

something simple - do a roast dinner
Original post by TonyTheGreat
I remember once being in the same situation as you about 3 years ago. I made a traditional sweet and sour, and because it naturally had a vinegar taste, I could take a piss in the dish. Yep, I pissed in my ‘potential in-laws’ food. I didn’t like them, they were tw@ts. Oh, and I pissed in their red wine too.

So bottom line is, choose a dish where the taste of urine could hide. Something strong and tangy is best.

Dude, just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you have to cause harm to them.
That is not a good attitude in life and will impact you more than you think in the future of your life.

Cook something Italian, Italian cuisine is simple and relaxed type of cooking that does not require much time.
Maybe pasta, but with that you have to know how to make really great sauce. Once you have mastered the sauces,
cooking in general will be a lot simpler. The hardest thing in cooking is getting the sauce right, everything else
comes with ease or will taste naturally great with it. Good luck!

The fact you want to cook something nice is a good indicator that you care, it is important to care while cooking.
*1950s flashback*
(edited 5 years ago)

jk...
Well I don’t piss in everyone’s food! Only to w@nkers and tw@ts.

I actually am am thinking inviting this tw@t I know round to my house. I was thinking of cooking a super super hot chilli curry, because I think strong chillis could actually hide the taste of sh1t. Yes, sh1t. Vinegar and chilli should easily hide the taste of a small amount of sh!t.

pissing in food isn’t enough, I want to learn how to sh!t in food!

I don't know what you are trying to hide given nobody knows the taste of shet.
Still dude, chillax a little bit and focus on the things that make your life more positive.
What day of the week are you having them over on?

I've always tried to have guests come over for meals on Sundays so I can do a good old fashioned Sunday Roast, and if I'm cooking to impress I'd go with lamb.

As long as whatever you cook tastes good and isn't a complete disaster I'd call it a success.
(edited 5 years ago)
It’s very difficult to hide the taste of urine in a Sunday roast. Plus, Sunday roast are corny these days. Only suburban and countryside layabouts do that.

go for a super hot sweet and sour. It will taste good, look good, smell good, and it will securely hide the taste of a bit of piss, as well as a bit of sh1t.

:troll:
Reply 8
Make hamburgers for them. But massive ones that you have to use a knife and fork for because they're posh. Include random stuff like papaya and truffles.

Well I don’t piss in everyone’s food! Only to w@nkers and tw@ts.

I actually am am thinking inviting this tw@t I know round to my house. I was thinking of cooking a super super hot chilli curry, because I think strong chillis could actually hide the taste of sh1t. Yes, sh1t. Vinegar and chilli should easily hide the taste of a small amount of sh!t.

pissing in food isn’t enough, I want to learn how to sh!t in food!

You're supposed to make them eat their own parents, Eric.
Sounds like they could be food and wine snobs.
Are you going to be serving starters and desert, as well as the main dish?
Ask your boyfriend about their favourite wines and see if you can make the pairings work.

I'd start with some small foie gras canapes, followed by beef wellington and chocolate guinness cake.
For the fois gras- these two recipes:
https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/seared-foie-gras-brioche-caramelised-orange
https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/foie-gras-terrine
For the beef wellington- https://www.nigella.com/recipes/members/chrisrsas-beef-wellington
For the chocolate guinness- https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-guinness-cake
You can do the cake with or without icing, my friends just love the cream cheese.
Original post by h123a
something simple - do a roast dinner

Okay, yeah. Sounds simple enough. Thanks :smile:
Original post by sharedheart
Dude, just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you have to cause harm to them.
That is not a good attitude in life and will impact you more than you think in the future of your life.

Cook something Italian, Italian cuisine is simple and relaxed type of cooking that does not require much time.
Maybe pasta, but with that you have to know how to make really great sauce. Once you have mastered the sauces,
cooking in general will be a lot simpler. The hardest thing in cooking is getting the sauce right, everything else

The fact you want to cook something nice is a good indicator that you care, it is important to care while cooking.

OMG what is that quote. 10000% not doing anything like... that to their food. Yikes. I'm good at Italian, but BF has told me that his dad hates it. Someone else suggested roast dinner so will probably go for that but thank you :smile:
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
*1950s flashback*

Is this about me cooking for his parents? Because we both like cooking and he does it as often as I do and like 90% of the time when we cook we do it together lol (also I saw you commented something else but I can't see it? IDK why...)

Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
What day of the week are you having them over on?

I've always tried to have guests come over for meals on Sundays so I can do a good old fashioned Sunday Roast, and if I'm cooking to impress I'd go with lamb.

As long as whatever you cook tastes good and isn't a complete disaster I'd call it a success.

Not sure... Will probably be a Friday night? Maybe Saturday? In any case his dad works late Monday-Thursday and on Sunday they have some sort of lunch thing at their church.
Original post by ThomH97
Make hamburgers for them. But massive ones that you have to use a knife and fork for because they're posh. Include random stuff like papaya and truffles.

You're supposed to make them eat their own parents, Eric.

Posh burgers are also a good idea. Might just pitch the burgers and the roast to BF and see what he thinks his dad would prefer... Thanks :smile:
Original post by londonmyst
Sounds like they could be food and wine snobs.
Are you going to be serving starters and desert, as well as the main dish?
Ask your boyfriend about their favourite wines and see if you can make the pairings work.

I'd start with some small foie gras canapes, followed by beef wellington and chocolate guinness cake.
For the fois gras- these two recipes:
https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/seared-foie-gras-brioche-caramelised-orange
https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/foie-gras-terrine
For the beef wellington- https://www.nigella.com/recipes/members/chrisrsas-beef-wellington
For the chocolate guinness- https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-guinness-cake
You can do the cake with or without icing, my friends just love the cream cheese.

Yeah probably a full 3 courses. And maybe something beforehand that I could just sort of leave on the table until the starter is ready? The foie gras seems like a great idea. And the beef. Will check with BF about cake bc don't want to make something the dad won't like but seems like a great menu. Thanks so much for the tip about the icing :smile:

Beef sounds like a good idea (and a common response lol) but me and BF aren't really drinkers so does anyone know a wine to go with it? (they're probably wine snobs too but me and BF are students so we're talking Sainsbury's own brand type of price)
How good a cook are You? Pastry might be difficult if you're not as good at cooking. I always have a browse through Jamie Oliver or something and find something nice looking. Make sure you have balance and don't have a heavy starter with a heavy main.
a simple Octopus Terrine should hit the spot.
Just cook food you like and eat. It shows them a bit about you.
Original post by Anonymous
Beef sounds like a good idea (and a common response lol) but me and BF aren't really drinkers so does anyone know a wine to go with it? (they're probably wine snobs too but me and BF are students so we're talking Sainsbury's own brand type of price)

What about a nice boeuf bourguignon? You can make it in advance and it's basically posh stew which everyone likes. Get yourself a decent bottle of red - nothing too cheap - and they'll be happy. With any luck, they'll bring a bottle of wine and if so, open theirs because it will probably be better than yours
(edited 5 years ago)
I would suggest duck, it is a really easy recipe. Ignore the potato part but you do need to render the fat down. It is easier to roast potatoes whole skin on, just cover them in olive oil and rosemary and roast on 180C Fan for 30-40 mins.

While the potatoes are on you could do honey glazed carrots.

And finally include butter cabbage, an Irish classic.
Beans on toast?
Reply 17
Original post by sharedheart

One of them hates Italian food so that’s out.
i think you can cook a lot of meet and healthy vegetables such as broccoli and corn...i think they'll enjoy your food and you
Original post by doodle_333
How good a cook are You? Pastry might be difficult if you're not as good at cooking. I always have a browse through Jamie Oliver or something and find something nice looking. Make sure you have balance and don't have a heavy starter with a heavy main.

I'm alright... stuff I make usually tastes good and I haven't given anyone food poisoning yet but I've only ever really cooked the stuff I grew up with which is Irish-Italian and like a tiny bit of traditional Jewish food.
Original post by AzureCeleste
Just cook food you like and eat. It shows them a bit about you.

The only food I like and eat is the Irish-Italian-Jewish combo I grew up with. The dad hates Italian, no one likes Irish and the Jew food won't work on them lol.

(Original post by maryfink)

i think you can cook a lot of meet and healthy vegetables such as broccoli and corn...i think they'll enjoy your food and you
Original post by harrysbar
What about a nice boeuf bourguignon? You can make it in advance and it's basically posh stew which everyone likes. Get yourself a decent bottle of red - nothing too cheap - and they'll be happy. With any luck, they'll bring a bottle of wine and if so, open theirs because it will probably be better than yours

Original post by Decahedron
I would suggest duck, it is a really easy recipe. Ignore the potato part but you do need to render the fat down. It is easier to roast potatoes whole skin on, just cover them in olive oil and rosemary and roast on 180C Fan for 30-40 mins.

While the potatoes are on you could do honey glazed carrots.

And finally include butter cabbage, an Irish classic.

These both sound like great ideas. Top 2 contenders rn seem to be beef and duck. Will ask BF what sounds better when I see him next :smile:
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Beans on toast?

They're too upper-middle class for that lol. Morning after third date I made some for me and BF and he told me that he'd never been allowed to just have that without anything with it before. Still make fun of him over it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending