The Student Room Group

Obesity & Sexuality

in the press today it is reported that :

Lesbian and bisexual women are more likely to be overweight than heterosexual women, research has shown for the first time, as experts said sexual identity should now be viewed as a health risk factor.
Researchers at the University of East Anglia studied 12 British national health surveys involving more than 93,000 people which recorded body mass index (BMI) and sexuality and found a striking link between weight and sexual orientation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2019/02/21/lesbians-likely-overweight-experts-find-sexuality-linked-health/

the science behind these findings is still being developed.

Scroll to see replies

Correlation does not equal causation.
Ok what’s so important about this that someone has to conduct a study on it?
Reply 4

Lol, true in my case. I think it's just because we care about appearance more than most straight guys do.
Ok? :s-smilie: and it's not a 'sexual choice' it's a sexual orientation
Reply 6
Original post by CoolCavy
Ok? :s-smilie: and it's not a 'sexual choice' it's a sexual orientation

Oooh, we can choose our orientation now? Lmao.
Original post by Ciel.
Oooh, we can choose our orientation now? Lmao.
I think Cavy has just said the opposite.
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
I think Cavy has just said the opposite.

I know. I was being sarcastic and making fun of the dumb article name. Didn't even see it, until she pointed it out.
Reply 9
this article may help to shed light: https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/opinion/lesbians-likely-overweight/

"It might simply be that when you don’t feel the need to look attractive to a man you’re less likely to give a **** about your weight. Maybe it’s also that - from our anecdotal evidence - lesbians might not feel comfortable at either feminised 'girl-friendly' activities like yoga and pilates, or lifting weights in the gyms where gay men conform to their own gym bunny stereotype."
Original post by the bear
this article may help to shed light: https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/opinion/lesbians-likely-overweight/

"It might simply be that when you don’t feel the need to look attractive to a man you’re less likely to give a **** about your weight. Maybe it’s also that - from our anecdotal evidence - lesbians might not feel comfortable at either feminised 'girl-friendly' activities like yoga and pilates, or lifting weights in the gyms where gay men conform to their own gym bunny stereotype."

Excuse me? Women dont keep up their appearance just to please men.
This thread is very disappointing and judgemental. My weight is due mostly to PCOS nothing to do with my sexual orientation.

:rolleyes:
:rollyeyes:
Original post by Rainfall
Ok what’s so important about this that someone has to conduct a study on it?

Things don't have to be important for studies to be done on them, it all just starts as curiosity. Someone might notice a correlation while walking down the street or something and think "hey I wonder if x", and they'll go and do some research on it. That's how must studies start.
That seems to cover all the bases.
Reply 13
Excuse me? Women dont keep up their appearance just to please men.

:rolleyes:
:rollyeyes:

i assume that the authoress Sophie Wilkinson knows about these things ?

:beard:
Original post by Tootles
Things don't have to be important for studies to be done on them, it all just starts as curiosity. Someone might notice a correlation while walking down the street or something and think "hey I wonder if x", and they'll go and do some research on it. That's how must studies start.

Ok
My weight is due mostly to PCOS nothing to do with my sexual orientation.

Doesn't PCOS correlate with lesbianism? May explain the results of this study.
Original post by the beer
Doesn't PCOS correlate with lesbianism? May explain the results of this study.

I dont know that it does. I have never read that anywhere but i am open to new ideas so if you could provide a source for that then it would be interesting.
Original post by Rainfall
Ok

Innit :lol: some wicked spin must be put on some of this stuff to get funding.

I've noticed myself that most of bigger women I know are quite masculine in their mannerisms. IIRC being over a certain weight threshold can do some weird things to hormones, including testosterone, which is the hormone that causes/amplifies arousal. I don't know how that correlates to them being gay though, your sexuality isn't determined by your sex drive or your hormones*...

*yesyesyes I know about perinatal hormone shiz affecting a person, but that's perinatal so chill ya beanz.
Reply 18
I dont know that it does. I have never read that anywhere but i am open to new ideas so if you could provide a source for that then it would be interesting.

this might be of interest:

https://www.ctfertility.com/2017/10/02/pcos-can-impact-fertility-gay-women/
Original post by the bear
in the press today it is reported that :

Lesbian and bisexual women are more likely to be overweight than heterosexual women, research has shown for the first time, as experts said sexual identity should now be viewed as a health risk factor.
Researchers at the University of East Anglia studied 12 British national health surveys involving more than 93,000 people which recorded body mass index (BMI) and sexuality and found a striking link between weight and sexual orientation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2019/02/21/lesbians-likely-overweight-experts-find-sexuality-linked-health/

the science behind these findings is still being developed.

It's worth noting that whilst the article states the number of surveys, and the total number of participants, at no point does it outline how many of those were LGBT+, or even whether they took a proportionate sample for this. If the study had very few lesbians, there is no substance to these findings.

Quick Reply

Latest