The Student Room Group

Which is your least favourite Power and Conflict poem for AQA English Lit?

Poll

Which is your least favourite Power and Conflict poem for AQA English Lit?

Please vote and then say why in the comments!

Scroll to see replies

Remains is one of my favourites! I loved the poem and was one of the best to talk about. I never really had an opinion of COTLB. It was not exactly bad but not good either. Poppies was bad. I hated that one.
Reply 2
The Emigree tbh pretty crap poem and just dislike it with a passion.
I voted for The Prelude. I absolutely hated it. The poem itself was boring and dull, didn't like what it was about and it was terrible to analyze. I would have actually died if this came up last year.
SOTI was a good poem, but I always felt it would have been a bad one to have to analyze. I disliked the kamikaze. It never really clicked with me to be honest, although it was good to talk about in an exam.
Original post by BillyMic
The Emigree tbh pretty crap poem and just dislike it with a passion.

I quite liked that one! I liked the poem itself and it was always a good one to analyze.
The Prelude i mean who goes out at night and rows a boat only to have nightmares

Spoiler

Original post by I AM GROOT 1
The Prelude i mean who goes out at night and rows a boat only to have nightmares

Spoiler

It was just weird and I just hated it so much. No one in my class (the teacher included) seemed to like it either.
Original post by blueworld2378
It was just weird and I just hated it so much. No one in my class (the teacher included) seemed to like it either.

:yes:
long and nothing really to do with power and conflict could say the same about my last Duchess- thought i would never need to study it again looks like i do for A levels ugh :colonhash:
:yes:
long and nothing really to do with power and conflict could say the same about my last Duchess- thought i would never need to study it again looks like i do for A levels ugh :colonhash:

That is a bit unlucky!

My Last Duchess was alright I guess, but I just thought it was too long. I could never be bothered to read it all.
How could you ever say that :frown:
That is a bit unlucky!

My Last Duchess was alright I guess, but I just thought it was too long. I could never be bothered to read it all.

it wasnt that bad so yeah i dont mind but these a level poems are soooo long fml like pages and pages for example 22 pages :redface:
i seriously at this point cant complain about GCSE poetry

they were ok bit boring :s-smilie:
it wasnt that bad so yeah i dont mind but these a level poems are soooo long fml like pages and pages for example 22 pages :redface:
i seriously at this point cant complain about GCSE poetry

they were ok bit boring :s-smilie:

I was considering doing A-Level English Literature... until I realised I didn't actually like GCSE English Lit that much.
Reply 13
Speaking of The Prelude, when we were covering it in class, everyone was laughing because of "She was an elfin pinnace". You know what "elfin pinnace" sounds like?
I was considering doing A-Level English Literature... until I realised I didn't actually like GCSE English Lit that much.

ah i see
i do enjoy english lit though its not all bad :lol:
For Edexcel, it has to be 'Cousin Kate' for me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anthos
Speaking of The Prelude, when we were covering it in class, everyone was laughing because of "She was an elfin pinnace". You know what "elfin pinnace" sounds like?

That mean you could link it feudian's theory which was about sexual things.
Reply 17
That mean you could link it feudian's theory which was about sexual things.

Especially since Wordsworth also uses the word 'lustily', which relates to sex.
Original post by Anthos
Especially since Wordsworth also uses the word 'lustily', which relates to sex.

Exactly, and adding such theory could mean a boost in your marks and having quotes/moments to back this theory would help the examiner know you're pretty damn smart.
Exactly, and adding such theory could mean a boost in your marks and having quotes/moments to back this theory would help the examiner know you're pretty damn smart.

But the poem is still mega boring.

Quick Reply

Latest