The Student Room Group

How common is it to resit a year of uni? Help?

Hi,

I am a second year student at university, and i currently enjoy my course. I have been struggling with my mental health now for months, and i have only just started psychotherapy. University has been really hard up till now as a result of problems, because i have only used studying as a distraction from my feelings and i have not made any friends. I haven't because of my mental health. I have felt very isolated as a result. This week in particular i have not had motivation for my degree, because i have been experiencing bad side effects from my antidepressants. These side effects are extreme tiredness, feelings of numbness, and just depression in general. I have a gp appointment next week so i will hopefully stop taking these soon and i will hopefully feel better soon but in the meantime i can't do my work. I am thinking that i may have to resit this year of university, even though my semester one grades were good and i have been doing fine up till now. I wouldn't mind resitting my second year to be honest because i have not had a good university experience due to my mental health, so to have another second year but a more enjoyable one would be nice. My SAAS finance would cover an extra year of my studies outwith the four years of my degree (I attend a scottish university.) I am wondering if it is common to resit a year, and whether you think this would be a good idea given my circumstances?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by stephlmx
Hi,

I am a second year student at university, and i currently enjoy my course. I have been struggling with my mental health now for months, and i have only just started psychotherapy. University has been really hard up till now as a result of problems, because i have only used studying as a distraction from my feelings and i have not made any friends. I haven't because of my mental health. I have felt very isolated as a result. This week in particular i have not had motivation for my degree, because i have been experiencing bad side effects from my antidepressants. These side effects are extreme tiredness, feelings of numbness, and just depression in general. I have a gp appointment next week so i will hopefully stop taking these soon and i will hopefully feel better soon but in the meantime i can't do my work. I am thinking that i may have to resit this year of university, even though my semester one grades were good and i have been doing fine up till now. I wouldn't mind resitting my second year to be honest because i have not had a good university experience due to my mental health, so to have another second year but a more enjoyable one would be nice. My SAAS finance would cover an extra year of my studies outwith the four years of my degree (I attend a scottish university.) I am wondering if it is common to resit a year, and whether you think this would be a good idea given my circumstances?

I think its a good idea for you if you feel you haven't been at your best this year.
It's pretty common, a lot of people fail.
Sometimes Uni is more than they were expecting. Sometimes they get caught up in their social lives.
There's plenty of reasons people get busy because of university, so don't stress yourself out.
If you have to do it, you have to do it, there's no getting around it.

On the flip side of things...
Try your absolute best, I know it's hard and what you're going through sucks :frown:
You may be able to scrape through and not have to resit the year.
I know it's easier said than done, however.

Wishing you all the best!

Josh :smile:
It's much more common than people think to resit a year, for various reasons.

I knew people who had to resit a year before they failed modules, suspended their studies due to mental health issues, had a baby half way through their third year...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending