The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I say no, the reason being I don't think anyone has the right to take the life of someone else, no matter how evil that person is.
Reply 3
Original post by Obolinda
No

Why?
Reply 4
Make it optional, so the convicted person can choose assisted suicide if they don't fancy the rest of their life in prison.
No, while people like Shamima Begum may be tempting, we shouldnt hold the power of life and death enshrined in our laws - agree however we need to be a lot firmer on gang violence...
Reply 6
Original post by Neilos
Make it optional, so the convicted person can choose assisted suicide if they don't fancy the rest of their life in prison.

Beings stripped of choice is the punishment
No, there is always the chance of an incorrect guilty conclusion. Not right to kill the innocent. I heard this happens in America occasionally.
No it was taken away for a good reason the amount of miscarriages of justice
death would be an easy way out, through rehabilitation and prison they are able to reflect on their crimes
Also how are we any better by ending their life
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 4/19
I think yes. Violent crime is rising as these thugs do not fear anything. I say 5 deaths would be a fantastic deterrent. Some people are just evil

No. As Ghandi said "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." It opens the avenues for false prosecution, and mistakes. They do happen. Plus are we any better than the "evil" people if we kill them.
No. Violent crime might be rising but its from record low levels.
The statistics say the death penalty increases rates of violent crime, rather than acting as a deterrent. Also, it's a lot more expensive to implement than life imprisonment. Also, it's just wrong - it's a morally bankrupt idea and a terrible thing for the government to be allowed to do.
(edited 5 years ago)
No, in my opinion. Not even because it's wrong to take life - simply because for the criminal, that's letting them off in my mind. I would much rather see a proper criminal suffer miserably and lead a horrible life so they aren't tempted to redo the crime than simply let them do a crime and not have to face any consequences, just get killed.

That's what many Nazi officers did after WW2 when facing execution - they committed suicide as to not face the punishment / pain. Seems exaggurated I know, but that's what I see comparison to.
Original post by centraltrains
No, there is always the chance of an incorrect guilty conclusion. Not right to kill the innocent. I heard this happens in America occasionally.

It does, and they spend more money than it would cost to imprison convicts for life in numerous judicial appeals, trying to make sure it happens less often. But it still happens. Tragic stupidity on so many levels
What would you do if the person isn't afraid of death? For example, some terrorists wouldn't care.
No.
The legal system, government and politicians should never be able to control live and death or be a position to play God with the lives of those convicted of violent crimes.
Too much power, serious moral qualms, ripe for abuse and risks recreating the "eye for an eye" society of centuries ago.

The death penalty brings nothings to a society except guaranteed death and destruction by means of state sanctioned killing.
Capital punishment risks creating fatal miscarriages of justice that can never be remedied, as proven by history.
It is no effective deterrent as regards arrogant thugs, habitual criminals, organised crime bosses, terrorist maniacs who want to die and angry people prone to spontaneous bouts of violent rage.
Original post by 4/19
I think yes. Violent crime is rising as these thugs do not fear anything. I say 5 deaths would be a fantastic deterrent. Some people are just evil

Death penalty is available in the US. Their rate of violent crime is higher.

The death penalty isn't the deterrent you think it is.
Death penalty for Treason.
I mean false accusations....can’t unkill someone....
It’s a deterrent but (using me RS GCSE here haha) hasn’t been proven to be that effective as people still commit murder and are killed in countries like the states and in shariah law countries I’m pretty sure...and the people who kill the criminals are they then criminals themselves?
Either way it’s brings up the whole ethical arguments. It’s one of those things like abortion and euthanasia that aren’t exactly yes or no.
The death penalty is an awful deterrent for one major reason: if you know your violent crime warrants the death penalty, you might as well not stop there. If they catch you, they can't kill you twice, after all.

Latest